No Glance support?!!!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
It's total BS!!! What a sham of a product!! Windows Phone is crap now and I'm going to get an Android - that'll show em!!! I hope the design team dies in a fire!!*

*let me know if I'm missing anything - I'll happily add it later.

Don't need to say anything more; you said it all. What you said is silly IMHO but at least you are free to say it. If something like No Glance keeps you from buying this phone; so be it.

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm speaking more of the people who won't be getting this because of the lack of Glance, not those who were on the fence. For those who planned on getting on this, I don't think Glance is the reason to not pick this up.

I'll trade my at&t Glance for your Verizon 32 gigs, lol.

carstenosu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm an Android guy who's planning to make the switch with the Icon next week. I hadn't known what Glance even was before reading the review on the site but now I have a question. Is there any way at all to see if your phone has new notifications? Is there no front led that flashes or anything?

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Android guy who's planning to make the switch with the Icon next week. I hadn't known what Glance even was before reading the review on the site but now I have a question. Is there any way at all to see if your phone has new notifications? Is there no front led that flashes or anything?

If Glance (with Black update) isn't installed; to see if you have any new notifications (like text messages, emails, phone calls or VM) you would have to turn on the phone. No Nokia phones have any notification lights.

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
It's total BS!!! What a sham of a product!! Windows Phone is crap now and I'm going to get an Android - that'll show em!!! I hope the design team dies in a fire!!*

*let me know if I'm missing anything - I'll happily add it later.

There, there... Calm down. No need to put words in my mouth (err, keyboard?).

I fully plan on getting the phone... but to me, having Glance is VERY convenient. Who wants to turn on their phone just to see if there are notifications or not? Seems like a bit of regression to not include it on a flagship phone.

carstenosu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If Glance (with Black update) isn't installed; to see if you have any new notifications (like text messages, emails, phone calls or VM) you would have to turn on the phone. No Nokia phones have any notification lights.

Well that definitely sucks a little bit. I don't think it's reason enough for me to avoid buying, but I'll certainly miss knowing if I have notifications or not.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The screen doesn't light up when you get a text message without glance?

Posted via the WPC App
The screen will turn on and the message will appear at top of the screen; Glance isn't needed for this. The message will appear as one line and you can swipe to the right to clear it. It will still show as a new message on the start screen.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The screen will turn on and the message will appear at top of the screen; Glance isn't needed for this. The message will appear as one line and you can swipe to the right to clear it. It will still show as a new message on the start screen.

Well that's good enough for me. It will be my first time using a Windows phone, and since I've never had this feature on my Android or iPhone then I guess I won't miss it. It's a nice feature, though. Hopefully the Icon gets the glance support in the near future.

Posted via the WPC App

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Well that's good enough for me. It will be my first time using a Windows phone, and since I've never had this feature on my Android or iPhone then I guess I won't miss it. It's a nice feature, though. Hopefully the Icon gets the glance support in the near future.

Posted via the WPC App
Hopefully glance will be added later. Also with wp 8.1 update you will also get notifications bar also a hell lot of features will be added later this year

carstenosu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

Is this true of all notifications, not just text messages?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I refuse to buy that "certain hardware restrictions" garbage. Other than display size, how does the Icon differ from the 1520, really? All Windows Phone devices run on Qualcomm chips. The Icon an 1520 are from the same Snapdragon family (might even be the same chip). Both are probably identical, once you get past the size.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I refuse to buy that "certain hardware restrictions" garbage. Other than display size, how does the Icon differ from the 1520, really? All Windows Phone devices run on Qualcomm chips. The Icon an 1520 are from the same Snapdragon family (might even be the same chip). Both are probably identical, once you get past the size.

The Icon would have CDMA crammed in there so it would be a little different, though I don't see how a CDMA radio would have impact on a screen. :)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

They have a completely different display screen, different technologies.

I summed up the differences that I noticed in another post:

Compare the PPI, or density...on the 1520, the PPI is very similar to the 925, 925=>330s vs. 360s for the 1520. The Icon is now over 440.

The 1520 and Icon both have the same resolution, the 925 and Icon both have the same technology (AMOLED). Nothing and the Icon have the same pixel density.
Not saying that is the fault, just an idea of something major that changed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb