No Glance support?!!!

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Someone in another thread stated that it was Verizon's choice not to have glance support available on the Icon. Why would Verizon not want this feature in one of their devices? Does or can if hurt them in any way? It just seems odd to me.

Posted via the WPC App

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
They have a completely different display screen, different technologies.

I summed up the differences that I noticed in another post:

Quote Originally Posted by Curtieson View Post
Compare the PPI, or density...on the 1520, the PPI is very similar to the 925, 925=>330s vs. 360s for the 1520. The Icon is now over 440.
The 1520 and Icon both have the same resolution, the 925 and Icon both have the same technology (AMOLED). Nothing and the Icon have the same pixel density.
Not saying that is the fault, just an idea of something major that changed.

To take that a step further, the PPI density is an 18% increase on the linear, and a 33% increase over an area. That's compared to the 1520.

Last edited:

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Coming from my current phone, which doesn't support glance anyway, I'm still walking out with a better phone if I get an Icon. Can't miss what I don't already have!

I'm have a feeling that it will be coming anyway. It's probably the type of screen and the high resolution that is making it incompatible but this surely won't be the last Windows phone made with this screen so they'll have to work it out some or later.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I saw that, but I am wondering if Glance wasn't supported on the review device. That's why I'm looking for confirmation from Nokia.
Also, the WP Central review, how did he get the Glance app to come up in the store to show that it's not supported? The only time I've seen the Glance app in the store is when there is an update for it. I'm not accusing, these are the questions that I have.

Last edited:

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm also trying to get an answer from Nokia or Microsoft as to either 1) why it isn't supported or 2) whether it will be in the future.

If you do get a response, be sure to let us know. I'll do the same!

B

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
To take that a step further, the PPI density is an 18% increase on the linear, and a 33% increase over an area. That's compared to the 1520.

PPI doesn't relate to the ability to use glance. Now, power consumption or a firmware issue because the panel is different could cause it a problem. I'd agree though, not a hardware limitation technically. The firmware/software probably isn't playing well with the new hardware but with some work it will be fine.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
PPI doesn't relate to the ability to use glance. Now, power consumption or a firmware issue because the panel is different could cause it a problem. I'd agree though, not a hardware limitation technically. The firmware/software probably isn't playing well with the new hardware but with some work it will be fine.

Do we have a device with a PPI over 400 that has shown Glance can work well on something so dense? For each resolution and screen size they'd have to redesign the software to display properly (aka, to make it look all purdy). I do not think it is out of the scope of possibilities that it has not yet been completed. [I do feel it will come eventually]

And the panel is not different than what the Lumia 925 has...unless by different you are talking about it having a different PPI, :D

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I saw that, but I am wondering if Glance wasn't supported on the review device. That's why I'm looking for confirmation from Nokia.
Also, the WP Central review, how did he get the Glance app to come up in the store to show that it's not supported? The only time I've seen the Glance app in the store is when there is an update for it. I'm not accusing, these are the questions that I have.

I'm also trying to get an answer from Nokia or Microsoft as to either 1) why it isn't supported or 2) whether it will be in the future.

if you feel an admission by omission is acceptable... Look at the specs of the phones on Nokia's site. All the phone I have looked up (quickly: 920, 620, 1520, 925) include "Nokia Glance screen" in the spec sheet EXCEPT for the Icon (and the 520). So that list includes phones that received the Glance screen via update.

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
if you feel an admission by omission is acceptable... Look at the specs of the phones on Nokia's site. All the phone I have looked up (quickly: 920, 620, 1520, 925) include "Nokia Glance screen" in the spec sheet EXCEPT for the Icon (and the 520). So that list includes phones that received the Glance screen via update.
Not 100% but certainly getting there. Still, not a deal breaker but I do like the Glance feature and contrary to popular belief, we will still have double tap to wake. Those two options are separate.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Do we have a device with a PPI over 400 that has shown Glance can work well on something so dense? For each resolution and screen size they'd have to redesign the software to display properly (aka, to make it look all purdy). I do not think it is out of the scope of possibilities that it has not yet been completed. [I do feel it will come eventually]

And the panel is not different than what the Lumia 925 has...unless by different you are talking about it having a different PPI, :D

No, they don't have to do anything to make it look purdy. The phone uses the same resolution (1080p) and aspect ratio of the 1520, so all they need to do is use the exact same software and it'll scale perfectly on to the Icon. Not saying there isn't an issue somewhere, but the resolution or dpi is unrelated.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Conspiracy theory, coming from a 1520 user -- since we've been battling both this terrible touchscreen sensitivity issue, where it registers swipes as taps or taps as double-taps, and strange screen dimming behavior on the 1520 since it came out, maybe the Icon was experiencing the same problems, leading to its months-long delay while Nokia tried to address the issue? And perhaps they found the problems were related to the glance or double-tap to wake implementation, and are working around the problem on the Icon by pulling these features just so they can finally get it to market?

It's rumored the 1520's new firmware, available via the NCS but not yet released OTA, fixes the problems. If so, maybe the Icon will get a similar firmware update soon that fixes the issues and adds glance and double-tap to wake back in.

Hardware-wise, there really is no plausible reason for its omission, since it's been done on phones with similar screens (AMOLED, 1080p) and even smaller batteries, and I don't buy ppi having any relevance to it. I've always run glance in Always On mode on both my 920 and 1520, which both have LCDs, and found its effect on battery life to be surprisingly negligible.

Personally, I find it to be an indispensable feature, as I love "glancing" at my phone to see what notifications I have waiting for me, as well as the time; it alone is reason enough I wouldn't consider switching to a Samsung or HTC WP phone.

J.R.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So what are all of you complaining going to do if glance support is eliminated from all future devices? Switch to Android or iPhone? Oh yes... Great idea since they both have an awesome glance support system.

I think it's quite ignorant to call the Icon garbage just because it doesn't support Glance. People will always find something to complain about. Smh...

Posted via the WPC App

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So what are all of you complaining going to do if glance support is eliminated from all future devices? Switch to Android or iPhone? Oh yes... Great idea since they both have an awesome glance support system.

I think it's quite ignorant to call the Icon garbage just because it doesn't support Glance. People will always find something to complain about. Smh...

Posted via the WPC App

Glance is very meh compared to Active Notifications on the Moto X, though that's not perfect either, but it does crush Glance. Plus there are third party apps avaiable for Android that do some of the same things. Neither are as smooth as Active Notifications or Glance. I highly doubt Glance is going away, but then again I'm not one of the people who say the Icon is garbage.... It still rules, but I'm no longer rushing to get it. I'll stay with my 928/Moto X combo until I hear more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12