Charging Plate

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I never thought the wireless charging plate would really catch on, considering it needs to plug in.

Forgive me for being naive, but is the charging plate really worth the price tag? I can understand the cost if it was really useful, but do you guys see it as added value for reducing a couple seconds trying to get the cable plugged into the phone? Or is there something I'm missing? Hate to sound really stupid saying all that. I feel like I'm really missing the point, haha. Maybe someone can explain it to me?

I love the idea of wireless charging, I just always thought that plugging in the wireless charger to plug in the phone is still technically like plugging the phone, itself, in. But maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I never thought the wireless charging plate would really catch on, considering it needs to plug in.

Forgive me for being naive, but is the charging plate really worth the price tag? I can understand the cost if it was really useful, but do you guys see it as added value for reducing a couple seconds trying to get the cable plugged into the phone? Or is there something I'm missing? Hate to sound really stupid saying all that. I feel like I'm really missing the point, haha. Maybe someone can explain it to me?

I love the idea of wireless charging, I just always thought that plugging in the wireless charger to plug in the phone is still technically like plugging the phone, itself, in. But maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

Charging ports are the #2 thing to break on a phone, #1 being the screen. Spend the couple bucks and never worry about it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
It really is nice being able to pick up my phone at night to check a text and put it back down without fumbling without a cable. You can find deals for them online for pretty cheap, or free like purchasing with an icon from MS store.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I use the Tylt stand at work and its awesome. When I'm at my desk, the phone is right there. I rarely use email on my desktop - just do it all from the phone. With the phone in the stand, its easy to pick it up and respond. Working in IT, I'm on the go, so it makes it easy to grab the phone and go.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Charging ports are the #2 thing to break on a phone, #1 being the screen. Spend the couple bucks and never worry about it.

Interesting! How do charging ports break phones? Is it a common occurrence?

It really is nice being able to pick up my phone at night to check a text and put it back down without fumbling without a cable. You can find deals for them online for pretty cheap, or free like purchasing with an icon from MS store.

Yeah that's the logical reason I was thinking it would be good for. However, I took my parents to buy the Lumia 928 when it came out, and back then charging plates seemed so expensive (I think somewhere between $45-50?) and seemed like the slight convenience wasn't worth the expense (for someone living on a budget).

From everyone talking about the charging plates, it seemed like such a necessity and intrigued me, but I don't know if the price originally felt worthwhile back then. Maybe now it's gone down in price. I wish I had a Microsoft Store near me. I'd absolutely go get one there. The closest one to me is about 1.5 hours away, which I think I'd end up spending enough money on gas for my car to equal the cost of a charging plate nowadays, so I wouldn't be saving much money by going to the Microsoft Store. :(

Thanks for the answers, guys. I appreciate it.

qwank

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I can't wait for wireless charging. I always have issues with the charge ports on my phone wearing out and having to wiggle the connector to get it to charge and then not touching the phone once I find the sweet spot. it sucks doing it while driving.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

As others have said, the charging port is one of the more common points of failure. I've never had it happen to me, but my step-daughter is sporting a Lumia 822 with a charging port that only charges if she puts pressure on the cord in a certain direction.

As for convenience, here is the wooden shelf that I built for my monitors at work. It raises them up to a level that makes my chiropractor happy, and I routed out the bottom with a keyhole bit, allowing me to stick a DT-900 in the bottom of the shelf. I just throw my phone on the shelf, and it charges.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/226147-13.htm#post1999952

In the car, it's great, too. I have BT to connect the phone to the stereo, and a Frankensteined DT-900, so my car-charging needs are wireless, too. My setup is very handy for both podcast listening (which I do every day during my commute) and for navigation (which I do on occasion).
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/234557-2.htm#post2061550

I have the wireless charger at my desk at work, on my desk at home, in my car, and my wife has one next to her chair in the living room, and next to my chair in the living room is the JBL Power-up speaker with wireless charging. The only time I plug in is at night.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
They break from corrosion, kids running around and tripping over the cord. Basically any stress at all starts to loosen the port and damage the pins

Wow I had no idea. Is this a microUSB connector sort of issue? Or does this happen with all phones? I guess I've been lucky over the years. I've owned many iPods (30 pin connector) and iPhones (also 30 pin connector) and never had any issues. But maybe I'm just very delicate with my phone and chargers? Which may be the reason. I also don't put any cases on my electronics (I work in design, I hate ruining good looks and thin gadgets with bulky rubber and plastic) and don't drop or scratch my gadgets. But I don't know how much my carefulness actually affects the pins. Maybe I don't need a wireless charging plate?

As others have said, the charging port is one of the more common points of failure. I've never had it happen to me, but my step-daughter is sporting a Lumia 822 with a charging port that only charges if she puts pressure on the cord in a certain direction.

As for convenience, here is the wooden shelf that I built for my monitors at work. It raises them up to a level that makes my chiropractor happy, and I routed out the bottom with a keyhole bit, allowing me to stick a DT-900 in the bottom of the shelf. I just throw my phone on the shelf, and it charges.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/226147-13.htm#post1999952

In the car, it's great, too. I have BT to connect the phone to the stereo, and a Frankensteined DT-900, so my car-charging needs are wireless, too. My setup is very handy for both podcast listening (which I do every day during my commute) and for navigation (which I do on occasion).
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/234557-2.htm#post2061550

I have the wireless charger at my desk at work, on my desk at home, in my car, and my wife has one next to her chair in the living room, and next to my chair in the living room is the JBL Power-up speaker with wireless charging. The only time I plug in is at night.

That is such a cool shelf! Very cool idea. It would be nice to buy a bunch of these and place them around my house, but I don't know if the cost is enough to warrant me caring that much about taking an extra second or two to plug in the cable each time I charge it. It would definitely be more efficient of a process, but for someone on a budget, maybe it's an inconvenience I can live with for now. Unless business gets good and I make a lot of money, haha.

Thanks for all the answers, guys!

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I only got wireless charging religion a couple months ago, but once I started I just had to have it everywhere. Prior to that it seemed too expensive for such a minor seeming convenience. Basically my setup now includes a DT-910 on my desk at work, my desk at home, and next to my bed, and a wireless mount in my Jeep. In general it reduces cable clutter(only need a cable routed directly to the charging unit, not a loose cable to plug into), and having it so convenient is great for just grab and go. Prior to this I'd just make a call as to whether or not to plug in based on how long I thought I was going to be at my desk, or driving, etc, but now the decision is completely made for me.

A nice side effect is that my phone is virtually always 'topped off' now. I haven't had a low battery in more than two months now. Also, the stands are great in that I can see the texts with a glance, instead of having to pick up the phone to read the screen. It makes me really sad that Glance is not a part of the Icon, since it would make perfect sense to have a more information rich standby display when you have the phone on a stand.

Side note: Two of my stands were acquired off the used section of Amazon. Only paid $33 each vs the usual $50 or so. The third was when AT&T made a bunch of Qi items dirt cheap a couple months ago and I paid $25 for that. The car stand I cannot speak highly enough of, it is this one here: Amazon.com: Jumbl Qi Wireless Car Charging Kit and Phone Stand - Universal orienting Windshield / Dashboard or Air Vent Mount, Also Serves as a Phone Stand - Includes Qi-Enabled Transmitter and Samsung Galaxy Receiving Tag: Cell Phones & Accessories

All of this is being used with my Verizon HTC 8X btw.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh another question I had. Do the charging plates only plug into walls, or can they plug in via USB as well? Most of my outlets are already filled with wall connections. I charge my phone mostly from plugging into my computer, Surface, etc. via USB. Do any charging plates come with a USB connecting option (like how Nokia phones have a wall/USB charging adapter that comes with their phones? Or is it wall-only?

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh another question I had. Do the charging plates only plug into walls, or can they plug in via USB as well? Most of my outlets are already filled with wall connections. I charge my phone mostly from plugging into my computer, Surface, etc. via USB. Do any charging plates come with a USB connecting option (like how Nokia phones have a wall/USB charging adapter that comes with their phones? Or is it wall-only?

The only charging plate with USB is the RavPower one. I have it myself and love it! WPCentral reviewed it too. One thing I like is it comes with USB and AC, and you can remove the cord from the charger and use it as a regular MicroUSB charge cable.

Amazon.com: RAVPower? Wireless Charger Charging Pad Qi-Enabled USB Charger Phone Charger for Nexus 5 / 7 / 4; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note3, Note2; Droid Charge; LG Optimus LTE2, Spectrum; HTC Rezound, Incredible 2, Incredible 4 LTE; Motorola Droid 4;

Accessory Review: RAVPower Qi-Enabled Wireless Charger | Windows Phone Central

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)