06-09-2014 11:29 AM
75 123
tools
    I went with white. The silver band really pops. The difference between White matte and White shiny (928) is substantial. The matte pops and has some pizzazz but it's not at all overstated.
    Zippier likes this.
    02-22-2014 12:51 AM
    Went back and forth as the Verizon store had both. My final choice was black. Although I think both look amazing, I found that the white with silver band broke up the continuous look of the screen. My opinion is, I love how the black metal band is a more gradual visual transition from the screen around to the edges. (hope this representation is coming across accurately). When the screen is off, it reminds me of one of those zero gravity pools with the disappearance of the borders.
    02-22-2014 06:56 AM
    Went back and forth as the Verizon store had both. My final choice was black. Although I think both look amazing, I found that the white with silver band broke up the continuous look of the screen. My opinion is, I love how the black metal band is a more gradual visual transition from the screen around to the edges. (hope this representation is coming across accurately). When the screen is off, it reminds me of one of those zero gravity pools with the disappearance of the borders.
    This is probably the one downsides of the aluminum band. The NL928 was designed in such a way to create the perception that the screen went on forever. It worked because of the curved glass, clear black amoled display, and the inability to see the sides of the phone when looking straight at the screen.

The Icon has two of the above, but the sides are now visible due to the aluminum band. It's less obvious on the black version than it is on the white. It's a design trade off between the 928 & 929, I guess.
    CrockettGTO likes this.
    02-22-2014 08:44 AM
    This is probably the one downsides of the aluminum band. The NL928 was designed in such a way to create the perception that the screen went on forever. It worked because of the curved glass, clear black amoled display, and the inability to see the sides of the phone when looking straight at the screen.

The Icon has two of the above, but the sides are now visible due to the aluminum band. It's less obvious on the black version than it is on the white. It's a design trade off between the 928 & 929, I guess.
    True. But both bbeautiful phones. White or black on either 928 or Icon
    02-22-2014 11:46 AM
    White here. That had been my plan all along unless the black surprised me. It didn't. Just another black phone.

I almost don't consider it white, It's almost closer to gray. It reminds me of my Surface 2, and since I always was hoping for a Surface Phone, and before that Zune Phone, I think, I'm a happy camper.
    Zippier likes this.
    02-22-2014 12:24 PM
    I went Black. I've looked at white soft-touch phones before and a lot of them get pretty dirty with a few months use. They both look fantastic new, though.
    02-22-2014 06:30 PM
    I went Black. I've looked at white soft-touch phones before and a lot of them get pretty dirty with a few months use. They both look fantastic new, though.
    It's not really soft touch though. It has a ceramic finish. Time will tell how dirty looking it gets, I suppose.

I picked up a white one. Loving the design. It really does a better job capturing the Lumia design than the black one does, in my opinion. This is my first non-black device!
    Zippier likes this.
    02-24-2014 08:21 AM
    I went white, but after playing with the black after getting it, the black is better done. The tonal aluminum band is better than the two-tone band, to me.
    But white is better than black (stands out a bit more), so it's a bit moot.
    02-24-2014 10:01 AM
    I went white, but after playing with the black after getting it, the black is better done. The tonal aluminum band is better than the two-tone band, to me.But white is better than black (stands out a bit more), so it's a bit moot.
    How so? In terms of functionality? Or just design.
    02-24-2014 10:07 AM
    How so? In terms of functionality? Or just design.
    Aesthetically, subjectively.
    It's the same matte black as the poly is. But it isn't with the white, and blends less well with it. The black looks more like one piece.
    02-24-2014 01:47 PM
    I had a tough time choosing, but since my last 822 was black, I decided to change it up. White, it stands out and every time I pull out the phone someone asks me what phone is that. I have heard that more in 3 days then the year plus I ever heard about the 822. I also like the curve of the back, it does have a nice feel.
    02-24-2014 03:58 PM
    I want the white because I like the look of the silver aluminum band. Too bad I can't find them in stock in stores.
    03-05-2014 02:43 PM
    I chose white myself,getting sick of having black phones. Looks great in the Verizon shell,holster combo with the metal trim.
    03-05-2014 03:09 PM
    I want the white because I like the look of the silver aluminum band. Too bad I can't find them in stock in stores.
    Where have you tried looking?
    03-05-2014 03:24 PM
    Local MS Stores and Verizon stores
    03-05-2014 05:16 PM
    When I went for my white replacement it took a week for my local Verizon store to find one. Apparently the white model, according to the Verizon rep, is very hard to find. He had 5 black phones in stock however.
    03-05-2014 06:04 PM
    Yeah, it can be pretty frustrating. Not many people want a premium WP, but it seems like those who do either can't find one or have to pay top dollar.
    03-05-2014 07:07 PM
    I strolled into my local store out here in the middle of the pacific(Kona, Hawaii) & my store had 3 white & 3 black on launch day. Plus white & black display units. Don't know what they have left. You can always just order it.
    03-05-2014 08:02 PM
    I have a white icon. Im going to get the incipio grey cover. Its going to look sexy as heck. Oh baby.
    03-06-2014 03:54 AM
    For those worried about the white Lumia Icon getting dirty. I noticed I had a few smudges on mine so I put a very small amount of rubbing alcohol (not sopping wet) on a cotton ball and she cleaned right up. Also, I wouldn't recommend rubbing alcohol on the screen.
    03-08-2014 02:36 PM
    I chose white myself,getting sick of having black phones. Looks great in the Verizon shell,holster combo with the metal trim.
    How does the shell/holster combo work for you? I'm a larger guy, about 6'2" and 230 lbs. I'm slightly afraid that the thing would pop off and the phone would be on the ground.
    03-08-2014 09:33 PM
    Had a white 928, dropped it 3 times, replaced it 3 times. Too slick. Just ordered a black Icon. Wasn't aware the white Icon was matte (could also mean it will get dirty quick). Not a case guy.
    06-07-2014 08:30 AM
    The black does seem more "cohesive," but I still think white would be more eye-catching. I'm still torn though... I only hope that the matte finish on it lasts without much wear. All I can think of is having my blue 8X's finish fade within a month or two of having it!
    I had that same issue with mine, although i was reading another thread and someone said that was the first batch of the phones that had the issue. He got a replacement about 6 months later and the "California Blue" still has not faded one bit.

I would say white. I want a phone to stand out, and if black and white are our only two options...then go with white. That metal frame looks so nice!
    06-08-2014 02:55 PM
    White all the way. :D
    Same goes for my taste in theme. I like the light theme much more better than the dark one.
    Last edited by afnan_mc; 06-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    06-08-2014 03:21 PM
    I had that same issue with mine, although i was reading another thread and someone said that was the first batch of the phones that had the issue. He got a replacement about 6 months later and the "California Blue" still has not faded one bit.

I would say white. I want a phone to stand out, and if black and white are our only two options...then go with white. That metal frame looks so nice!
    I'm about four months in with my White Nokia Lumia Icon. I've never put a case on it, and I use it all the time. The white still looks exactly like it did the day I bought it. No discoloration, no shininess. The matte/clay white is great! Not only that, but there are just a few micro scratches on the screen that you have to look really hard to find. And the silver band is without a single scratch.

Love this phone.
    06-09-2014 11:29 AM
75 123