Obligatory White or Black thread

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
If I do end up getting the phone. I'm going white. The silver, grey metallic band has won me over for sure. The white one just seems to pop more.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I got white, and the reason actually surprised me. I went in to my local VZW store around 4PM yesterday and they had sold out of the black earlier in the day! White isn't bad, does show few smudges etc, but when the phone is laying on it's back all you can see is the black screen and the matte silver border. I like the way it looks.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I got white, and the reason actually surprised me. I went in to my local VZW store around 4PM yesterday and they had sold out of the black earlier in the day! White isn't bad, does show few smudges etc, but when the phone is laying on it's back all you can see is the black screen and the matte silver border. I like the way it looks.

And honestly, that's how it's going to be most of the time. Sitting on it's back. One of my main concerns is how it looks in an otterbox.

Did anyone happen to get an otterbox & a white Icon? I'd love to see pictures.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
My white 928 got pretty dirty. If you have a case on it probably won't matter.

My complaint with the white is that its essentially a three tone phone. Had they made the front white I wouldve jumped all over it.

That was my complaint as well. But after looking at both in person, I still liked the white better than the black because the black just had no personality left to show with the metal band being colored the same as the rest of the phone, so it just became a black brick. And while I was concerned about white, I realized that you're never looking at the front and the back of the phone at the same time, so it actually looks really nice, despite being 3 tones.

I bought white. And I'm very happy with that decision. But that's my personal preference. Just figured I'd share my story, considering I was thinking the exact same thing as you. The 3-tone white version really irked me, but no longer.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That was my complaint as well. But after looking at both in person, I still liked the white better than the black because the black just had no personality left to show with the metal band being colored the same as the rest of the phone, so it just became a black brick. And while I was concerned about white, I realized that you're never looking at the front and the back of the phone at the same time, so it actually looks really nice, despite being 3 tones.

I bought white. And I'm very happy with that decision. But that's my personal preference. Just figured I'd share my story, considering I was thinking the exact same thing as you. The 3-tone white version really irked me, but no longer.

I finally found a Verizon store that had both out for display. This was the third corporate store that I've visited in the last couple days, and the only one that had at least the black out. They had a white behind the counter that was a dummy device.

I think the white does a way better job emphasizing the Lumia design than the black does. I'm pretty sure I'm going with white in a few days when I can upgrade.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I went with the black color. I didn't like that the white is a tri-color phone, back is white, sides are silver and top is black. The black version is the same color everywhere and looks sleek and sexy...

puttlikezach

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I went with white. The silver band really pops. The difference between White matte and White shiny (928) is substantial. The matte pops and has some pizzazz but it's not at all overstated.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Went back and forth as the Verizon store had both. My final choice was black. Although I think both look amazing, I found that the white with silver band broke up the continuous look of the screen. My opinion is, I love how the black metal band is a more gradual visual transition from the screen around to the edges. (hope this representation is coming across accurately). When the screen is off, it reminds me of one of those zero gravity pools with the disappearance of the borders.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Went back and forth as the Verizon store had both. My final choice was black. Although I think both look amazing, I found that the white with silver band broke up the continuous look of the screen. My opinion is, I love how the black metal band is a more gradual visual transition from the screen around to the edges. (hope this representation is coming across accurately). When the screen is off, it reminds me of one of those zero gravity pools with the disappearance of the borders.

This is probably the one downsides of the aluminum band. The NL928 was designed in such a way to create the perception that the screen went on forever. It worked because of the curved glass, clear black amoled display, and the inability to see the sides of the phone when looking straight at the screen.

The Icon has two of the above, but the sides are now visible due to the aluminum band. It's less obvious on the black version than it is on the white. It's a design trade off between the 928 & 929, I guess.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This is probably the one downsides of the aluminum band. The NL928 was designed in such a way to create the perception that the screen went on forever. It worked because of the curved glass, clear black amoled display, and the inability to see the sides of the phone when looking straight at the screen.

The Icon has two of the above, but the sides are now visible due to the aluminum band. It's less obvious on the black version than it is on the white. It's a design trade off between the 928 & 929, I guess.

True. But both bbeautiful phones. White or black on either 928 or Icon

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
White here. That had been my plan all along unless the black surprised me. It didn't. Just another black phone.

I almost don't consider it white, It's almost closer to gray. It reminds me of my Surface 2, and since I always was hoping for a Surface Phone, and before that Zune Phone, I think, I'm a happy camper.

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I went Black. I've looked at white soft-touch phones before and a lot of them get pretty dirty with a few months use. They both look fantastic new, though.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I went Black. I've looked at white soft-touch phones before and a lot of them get pretty dirty with a few months use. They both look fantastic new, though.

It's not really soft touch though. It has a ceramic finish. Time will tell how dirty looking it gets, I suppose.

I picked up a white one. Loving the design. It really does a better job capturing the Lumia design than the black one does, in my opinion. This is my first non-black device!

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I went white, but after playing with the black after getting it, the black is better done. The tonal aluminum band is better than the two-tone band, to me.
But white is better than black (stands out a bit more), so it's a bit moot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos