Lumia Icon on Microsoft Store

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
What's the point of pre-ordering anyways? Those that are pre-ordering at the Microsoft Store are only putting down a $25 deposit, not the full price, so it's not like they're going to ship it to you. I doubt they'll hold it in the store for you on the 20th since other customers will be there the same day paying the full price (contract or off-contract).

Posted via the WPC App

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
The only place I've ever seen a pre-order that you paid money for that they didn't hold inventory for you is Gamestop. I think that has more to do with Gamestop than anything else. I paid my $25, and I expect to pick up my white Icon on the 20th.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Considering all the horror stories from people who preorder from Microsoft store I wonder why anyone would even consider going this route. Won't going to a Verizon store be easier and quicker?

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The only place I've ever seen a pre-order that you paid money for that they didn't hold inventory for you is Gamestop. I think that has more to do with Gamestop than anything else. I paid my $25, and I expect to pick up my white Icon on the 20th.

But that's only $25, not $200 or $550. Why would they hold something that hasn't been paid in full? Not everyone that paid $25 will be there to pick up their phone on the 20th. I would assume that they'll just hand out phones to whoever walks in there on the 20th and pay.

Posted via the WPC App

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Considering all the horror stories from people who preorder from Microsoft store I wonder why anyone would even consider going this route. Won't going to a Verizon store be easier and quicker?

What horror stories?

And some people are ordering at the Microsoft Store to get the free wireless charger.

Posted via the WPC App

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
But that's only $25, not $200 or $550. Why would they hold something that hasn't been paid in full? Not everyone that paid $25 will be there to pick up their phone on the 20th. I would assume that they'll just hand out phones to whoever walks in there on the 20th and pay.

Posted via the WPC App

I've had a $30k car held for $400. It's just a place holder to let them know you're serious until you get there. If you don't pick it up in a certain time frame they sell it and you get your money back.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Posted via the WPC App

And you would be incorrect. The entire point of pre-ordering is the very fact that they will hold the phone for you. Now maybe if put no money down you would have a point... but even one dollar down they should be holding it. That's why they take some money.... to hold it.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
And you would be incorrect. The entire point of pre-ordering is the very fact that they will hold the phone for you. Now maybe if put no money down you would have a point... but even one dollar down they should be holding it. That's why they take some money.... to hold it.

That makes sense. Since you give your credit card info, they can just charge it once the item arrives, assuming you don't cancel your order before then.

Posted via the WPC App

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
That makes sense. Since you give your credit card info, they can just charge it once the item arrives, assuming you don't cancel your order before then.

Posted via the WPC App

Well they wouldn't even do that. You fail to pick it up within a certain time frame (probably that day) they can then sell it and refund your deposit.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Well they wouldn't even do that. You fail to pick it up within a certain time frame (probably that day) they can then sell it and refund your deposit.

Thanks, Astropin, for your feedback. It has helped me clear up my confusion. I will be pre-ordering my Icon at the Microsoft Store! I can't wait for it to get here! :)

Posted via the WPC App

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll be going to a Verizon store to get one for a few key reasons. 1) To give WP presence to the salesfolks that people are insterested in WP. 2) To see what the salesfolks attitude is toward the Icon and WP as a whole. And 3) based on the results of the second reason, educate some misguided salesfolks / customers in WP specs, ability, or apps growth. It wasn't that long ago when a salesperson told a customer that the WP tiles only come in one color. I facepalmed so hard I almost broke my nose.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Microsoft Store Wednesday night and put my $25 down. I'll be buying off-contract.

I know I may have posted this before, but these are the reasons why I'm buying from the Microsoft Store and not from Verizon:

1. I actually had a corporate Verizon Store rep tell me I couldn't buy any phone full-price/off-contract! He said I would have to buy from a 3rd party like the Microsoft Store. I don't know if that 100% true, so don't quote me on that. Maybe broadwaylos or bertongbadtrip can clarify that.
2. With the Microsoft Store, for $100, I can get insurance for 2 years and can get a brand new phone if it is damaged or defective.
3. With Verizon, for insurance, you have to use Asurian and I know it's at least $10 a month, and you'll most likely be getting a refurb as a replacement.
4. With Verizon, if your phone is defective, you may get a refurb as well. That happened to me with my Lumia 822. Verizon wanted to offer me a crappy refurb and my phone was less than 6 months old and still under warranty! They said they don't offer new phones as replacements. WTF!!! At least with the Microsoft Store, I'll get a brand new phone, no questions asked.
5. With the Microsoft Store, I'll avoid the Verizon reps trying to sway me to buy an iPhone or Android!

In conclusion, if I want to buy a new phone and Verizon wants my business, they need to have better customer service than the Microsoft Store has, and have better policies than they do. And yeah, that'll happen when hell freezes over!

So for anyone who lives near a Microsoft Store like I do, these are the Top 5 to avoid Verizon when buying a new Windows Phone.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Theres a free wireless charger? I might have to get my phone there for this reason, even though its a hike

Yes there is if you order before March 16. On one article it says "for qualifying customers." It doesn't state who the qualifying customers are, though. Hopefully it's both buying off and on-contract. I'm guessing it's while supplies last, as well.

Edit: The WSJ article says you can order from the Microsoft online store, so you don't have to make the drive to the store. You'll just have to wait until the 20th to be able to order online.

Posted via the WPC App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99