02-17-2014 12:27 AM
41 12
tools
    02-12-2014 03:20 PM
    Yeah....but you can't pre-order it online!
    02-12-2014 03:22 PM
    Yeah....but you can't pre-order it online!
    Right, and I see no option for full retail price without contract... Never ordered from Microsoft, but I have no store near me. Suggestions????

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    02-12-2014 03:36 PM
    Suggestions????
    No stores near me either. My suggestion is to just walk in and pick one up on the 20th. That's my plan. If you can't do that then just order one from Verizon on the 20th. What's one (or two) more days in the scheme of things?
    02-12-2014 04:53 PM
    If I order do you think it will ship early so I have it on the 20th?

Edit: never mind can't order
    02-12-2014 05:13 PM
    What's the point of pre-ordering anyways? Those that are pre-ordering at the Microsoft Store are only putting down a $25 deposit, not the full price, so it's not like they're going to ship it to you. I doubt they'll hold it in the store for you on the 20th since other customers will be there the same day paying the full price (contract or off-contract).

Posted via the WPC App
    02-14-2014 06:06 AM
    The only place I've ever seen a pre-order that you paid money for that they didn't hold inventory for you is Gamestop. I think that has more to do with Gamestop than anything else. I paid my $25, and I expect to pick up my white Icon on the 20th.
    Zippier likes this.
    02-14-2014 06:25 AM
    Considering all the horror stories from people who preorder from Microsoft store I wonder why anyone would even consider going this route. Won't going to a Verizon store be easier and quicker?
    02-14-2014 06:26 AM
    The only place I've ever seen a pre-order that you paid money for that they didn't hold inventory for you is Gamestop. I think that has more to do with Gamestop than anything else. I paid my $25, and I expect to pick up my white Icon on the 20th.
    But that's only $25, not $200 or $550. Why would they hold something that hasn't been paid in full? Not everyone that paid $25 will be there to pick up their phone on the 20th. I would assume that they'll just hand out phones to whoever walks in there on the 20th and pay.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-14-2014 07:00 AM
    Considering all the horror stories from people who preorder from Microsoft store I wonder why anyone would even consider going this route. Won't going to a Verizon store be easier and quicker?
    What horror stories?

And some people are ordering at the Microsoft Store to get the free wireless charger.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-14-2014 07:03 AM
    But that's only $25, not $200 or $550. Why would they hold something that hasn't been paid in full? Not everyone that paid $25 will be there to pick up their phone on the 20th. I would assume that they'll just hand out phones to whoever walks in there on the 20th and pay.

Posted via the WPC App
    I've had a $30k car held for $400. It's just a place holder to let them know you're serious until you get there. If you don't pick it up in a certain time frame they sell it and you get your money back.
    02-14-2014 07:21 AM
    I suppose you may be right.
    02-14-2014 07:26 AM

Posted via the WPC App
    And you would be incorrect. The entire point of pre-ordering is the very fact that they will hold the phone for you. Now maybe if put no money down you would have a point... but even one dollar down they should be holding it. That's why they take some money.... to hold it.

willied likes this.
    02-14-2014 07:27 AM
    And you would be incorrect. The entire point of pre-ordering is the very fact that they will hold the phone for you. Now maybe if put no money down you would have a point... but even one dollar down they should be holding it. That's why they take some money.... to hold it.

That makes sense. Since you give your credit card info, they can just charge it once the item arrives, assuming you don't cancel your order before then.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-14-2014 07:37 AM
    That makes sense. Since you give your credit card info, they can just charge it once the item arrives, assuming you don't cancel your order before then.

Posted via the WPC App
    Well they wouldn't even do that. You fail to pick it up within a certain time frame (probably that day) they can then sell it and refund your deposit.

Zippier likes this.
    02-14-2014 07:43 AM
    Well they wouldn't even do that. You fail to pick it up within a certain time frame (probably that day) they can then sell it and refund your deposit.

Thanks, Astropin, for your feedback. It has helped me clear up my confusion. I will be pre-ordering my Icon at the Microsoft Store! I can't wait for it to get here! :)

Posted via the WPC App
    02-14-2014 07:58 AM
    I'll be going to a Verizon store to get one for a few key reasons. 1) To give WP presence to the salesfolks that people are insterested in WP. 2) To see what the salesfolks attitude is toward the Icon and WP as a whole. And 3) based on the results of the second reason, educate some misguided salesfolks / customers in WP specs, ability, or apps growth. It wasn't that long ago when a salesperson told a customer that the WP tiles only come in one color. I facepalmed so hard I almost broke my nose.
    02-14-2014 08:11 AM
    I went to the Microsoft Store Wednesday night and put my $25 down. I'll be buying off-contract.

I know I may have posted this before, but these are the reasons why I'm buying from the Microsoft Store and not from Verizon:

1. I actually had a corporate Verizon Store rep tell me I couldn't buy any phone full-price/off-contract! He said I would have to buy from a 3rd party like the Microsoft Store. I don't know if that 100% true, so don't quote me on that. Maybe broadwaylos or bertongbadtrip can clarify that.
    2. With the Microsoft Store, for $100, I can get insurance for 2 years and can get a brand new phone if it is damaged or defective.
    3. With Verizon, for insurance, you have to use Asurian and I know it's at least $10 a month, and you'll most likely be getting a refurb as a replacement.
    4. With Verizon, if your phone is defective, you may get a refurb as well. That happened to me with my Lumia 822. Verizon wanted to offer me a crappy refurb and my phone was less than 6 months old and still under warranty! They said they don't offer new phones as replacements. WTF!!! At least with the Microsoft Store, I'll get a brand new phone, no questions asked.
    5. With the Microsoft Store, I'll avoid the Verizon reps trying to sway me to buy an iPhone or Android!

In conclusion, if I want to buy a new phone and Verizon wants my business, they need to have better customer service than the Microsoft Store has, and have better policies than they do. And yeah, that'll happen when hell freezes over!

So for anyone who lives near a Microsoft Store like I do, these are the Top 5 to avoid Verizon when buying a new Windows Phone.
    02-14-2014 08:28 AM
    What horror stories?

And some people are ordering at the Microsoft Store to get the free wireless charger.

Posted via the WPC App
    Theres a free wireless charger? I might have to get my phone there for this reason, even though its a hike
    02-14-2014 08:51 AM
    Theres a free wireless charger? I might have to get my phone there for this reason, even though its a hike
    Yes there is if you order before March 16. On one article it says "for qualifying customers." It doesn't state who the qualifying customers are, though. Hopefully it's both buying off and on-contract. I'm guessing it's while supplies last, as well.

Edit: The WSJ article says you can order from the Microsoft online store, so you don't have to make the drive to the store. You'll just have to wait until the 20th to be able to order online.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-14-2014 09:04 AM
    I went to the Microsoft Store Wednesday night and put my $25 down. I'll be buying off-contract.

I know I may have posted this before, but these are the reasons why I'm buying from the Microsoft Store and not from Verizon:

1. I actually had a corporate Verizon Store rep tell me I couldn't buy any phone full-price/off-contract! He said I would have to buy from a 3rd party like the Microsoft Store. I don't know if that 100% true, so don't quote me on that. Maybe broadwaylos or bertongbadtrip can clarify that.
    2. With the Microsoft Store, for $100, I can get insurance for 2 years and can get a brand new phone if it is damaged or defective.
    3. With Verizon, for insurance, you have to use Asurian and I know it's at least $10 a month, and you'll most likely be getting a refurb as a replacement.
    4. With Verizon, if your phone is defective, you may get a refurb as well. That happened to me with my Lumia 822. Verizon wanted to offer me a crappy refurb and my phone was less than 6 months old and still under warranty! They said they don't offer new phones as replacements. WTF!!! At least with the Microsoft Store, I'll get a brand new phone, no questions asked.
    5. With the Microsoft Store, I'll avoid the Verizon reps trying to sway me to buy an iPhone or Android!

In conclusion, if I want to buy a new phone and Verizon wants my business, they need to have better customer service than the Microsoft Store has, and have better policies than they do. And yeah, that'll happen when hell freezes over!

So for anyone who lives near a Microsoft Store like I do, these are the Top 5 to avoid Verizon when buying a new Windows Phone.
    Another reason I'd add is that I'd rather give a bit of extra profit to a Microsoft corporate store than to a Verizon corporate store.
    pci2k likes this.
    02-14-2014 09:13 AM
    I'll be going to a Verizon store to get one for a few key reasons. 1) To give WP presence to the salesfolks that people are insterested in WP. 2) To see what the salesfolks attitude is toward the Icon and WP as a whole. And 3) based on the results of the second reason, educate some misguided salesfolks / customers in WP specs, ability, or apps growth. It wasn't that long ago when a salesperson told a customer that the WP tiles only come in one color. I facepalmed so hard I almost broke my nose.
    Man, if it wasn't for the free wireless charging plate I would be with you 100%. My local Verizon store is not WP friendly and I'd love to endorse Windows over there for at least one sale. But free stuff... I love free stuff.

Assuming I can even scratch up enough cash by March to take advantage of the free wireless charging plate. Just got whacked with a big bill estimate I need to save up for that I wasn't planning on. Being a grown-up bites.
    02-14-2014 10:32 AM

They do that often in the hopes of getting new contract customers. It is against verizons "official" policies but they do it anyway.
    02-14-2014 10:43 AM

i've never had an issue buying a phone off-contract at a Verizon store. Now BestBuy - they love to rip you off on off-contract as they charge $100 more than the normal price at carriers or manufacturer stores. They do it because they don't make any money off of just selling phones so they charge a premium to make something.
    02-14-2014 10:56 AM
    I want this phone but will have to use an upgrade from another line on my contract, will I have any issues doing this at the Mircrosoft store? also, my line has unlimited data still, is this going to also be an issue? Am I going to have to go through Verizon? I like Microsoft's warranty much better, and the free charger is a bonus.
    02-14-2014 10:58 AM
41 12