02-22-2014 11:22 PM
72 123
tools
    Hmmm, must have missed my sarcasm?
    I was coming up with the lame excuse that the haters might come up with or the people throwing the word 'dealbreaker' around left and right.
    I think we are in complete agreement.
    It is the second best cameraphone on the market (only to the 1020) and it has the top specs.
    Yea that totally flew right over my head!

Anyways, I'm just going to post this in response to all the ICON video samples making their way around youtube. I'm gonna call BS because the video I attached is from my 928 shooting 1080. Theres not a single ounce of lag (besides what youtube causes). Go to ~2:00 (Make sure you put it on 1080) to see how well it handles everything going crazy. I have no doubt in my mind that the ICON will blow people away with its video recording. I get so many questions on my channel about what camera I use, theyre blow away by the fact that its a phone. I also can say with a good amount of certainty that noone had a better recording of the audio.

falconrap likes this.
    02-13-2014 03:41 PM

Anyways, I'm just going to post this in response to all the ICON video samples making their way around youtube. I'm gonna call BS because the video I attached is from my 928 shooting 1080. Theres not a single ounce of lag (besides what youtube causes). Go to ~2:00 (Make sure you put it on 1080) to see how well it handles everything going crazy. I have no doubt in my mind that the ICON will blow people away with its video recording. I get so many questions on my channel about what camera I use, theyre blow away by the fact that its a phone. I also can say with a good amount of certainty that noone had a better recording of the audio.
    Yea I am not at all worried about what this thing is going to pump out in terms of video and photo quality. People are always amazed at the video I take with my wife's 928, especially when it is running after my kid. It is almost as steady as our professional steadicam rigs that are worth thousands of dollars.
    If you want to remain incompetent like most of the reviewers out there and take mediocre images, go ahead and pick up your iphone. I will be enjoying the superior video, photo, and audio capture that this thing will provide.
    JBConforti, Tjarren and falconrap like this.
    02-13-2014 03:54 PM
    I wonder if all the reviews are using the stock microsoft camera software instead of the Nokia Pro Cam. Is Nokia Pro cam default now cuz if it isn't, it should be.
    02-13-2014 07:21 PM
    I would like to see the camera(photo,video) comparison between 928&929. Photos using flash as well Xenon vs 2LED
    02-13-2014 07:37 PM
    Shouldn't be too hard to get done

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    02-13-2014 07:45 PM
    Remember that there's a hump in place for the camera on the 1520, while on the Icon there is none. I think if they would have attempted to change out for a bigger lens, it would have created the need to hump this out too. I'm personally pretty glad they didn't, as this camera should be more than adequate for a novice like me.
    Right. And we all know that Verizon ain't Humpin' Around ...

*cue 90's reference*
    02-13-2014 08:23 PM
    Icon bashing? This is not your baby. If the phone is disappointing it is ok to call it out. Just because it is the best windows phone available does not make it up to par wit the rest of the 2014 field.
    This isn't yours as well so you can't call it out. Reviews are a way for people to know what to expect but from my experience, mileage will always vary. They say the Lumia 920 had horrible battery life but when I got it it's actually twice as long as my previous iPhone 5.

You guys do have 30 day return policy for items you didn't like right? Well why don't you try it out and use that privilege instead? You guys are very lucky to have a privilege like that, in our country we can't do that. We can only return an item if it is defective not if we didn't like it. 30 days is a long *** time to know whether it's a keeper or not. If you didn't like it then return it. It's really better to try it yourself.
    02-13-2014 10:42 PM
    "Horrible camera"??

There's seriously no pleasing people on this board. Reviews rate it as the best smartphone camera shy of the 1020 and it's now "horrible" and a "Deal breaker"
    Some people are just spec junkies. They look at the specs and like Roman emperors, look over the phones and put a thumbs down. I say, if you want SLR, get an SLR and keep it moving. This is a phone. It takes great pictures and great family video. Nobody is looking to send camera video to Sundance.
    Tjarren and outlaw_d like this.
    02-14-2014 12:35 AM
    Here's my theory about the 1520 camera, Its has an aperture of 2.4f which is a bit smaller than Lumia 1020's 2.2f and a lot smaller than Lumia 92X 2.0f

Basically if the same light got captured by those three on locked ISO and shutter speeds the Lumia 1520 would've consumed the least light.
    Now what if you were taking 30 frames not enough light will accumulate to make up for a clear image, by now most of you are saying that Iphones take good low light videos while having an 2.4f aperture, well BSI sensors are affected by electric cross talk, and I would think having a big magnetic ball bearing structure would add up to that problem.
    Of course this could be software only and the above is all in my head, lets wait it out and see. :)
    02-14-2014 05:01 AM
    This isn't yours as well so you can't call it out. Reviews are a way for people to know what to expect but from my experience, mileage will always vary. They say the Lumia 920 had horrible battery life but when I got it it's actually twice as long as my previous iPhone 5.

You guys do have 30 day return policy for items you didn't like right? Well why don't you try it out and use that privilege instead? You guys are very lucky to have a privilege like that, in our country we can't do that. We can only return an item if it is defective not if we didn't like it. 30 days is a long *** time to know whether it's a keeper or not. If you didn't like it then return it. It's really better to try it yourself.
    I agree with your point ... but the return / exchange policy on Verizon is now 14 days not 30!
    02-14-2014 07:07 AM
    I am also confused as to why they moved away from the f/2.0 aperture of the 920, 928. It is clearly superior than 2.4. Downsampling wont help with lack of light.

Horrible mistake by nokia imo.
    02-14-2014 10:23 AM
    I do think *some* of the criticism in general is fair (microSD, LED versus Xenon or even the multicolor LED approach, even Glance). Considering the naming they are going for, nickel and diming specs out of it is a bit less "iconic". Heck, have you seen the complaints in the 520 forum about no Glance? Now try releasing a flagship level phone without it...

As for the camera, the WPC review liked it. The 1520 had a solid review from DPReview Connect. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for me, I will probably wait and see what WP8.1 is like on my 928 with the Dev release *hopefully* in April.
    etad putta likes this.
    02-14-2014 10:45 AM

I should post the videos I took from a concert a few months back.
    My 928 couldn't handle it. The flashing lights in the center of the screen just blew out the imaging processor. Everything was either pitch black or bright white, absolutely nothing in between. People around me with iPhones could actually see the band in the lights. Me? I just saw lights.

Now, my sound was better, but the video accompanying it is utterly worthless.

And, for everyone going "it's better than the iPhone!," what makes the iPhone camera nice is that you can spam the shutter button and take pictures as quickly as you tap. They're saying this is 8.5 seconds between shots. The iPhone is about .5 seconds. That's a huge, huge, huge difference.
    8.5 seconds isn't really acceptable these days.
    02-14-2014 12:31 PM
    I just want my next WP to have a faster shutter speed. I don't like iPhones, but you can probably take 5 good looking pics in the time it takes for a single great looking one on a modern WP. Maybe these phones are more for amateur photographers or something, but in that case it should just be a setting that defaults to "take the picture as fast as possible". I know there IS a setting, but it doesn't really get the job done the way I want it to.

I love whipping out my phone to take a pic of something moving and just getting a big blurring splotch of crap. I don't care if the camera has 41mp or 8, as long as I end up with the picture that I intended to take.

I admittedly have never touched the icon, let alone taken a picture, but I am willing to bet it suffers from the same problem.
    jpling likes this.
    02-14-2014 12:32 PM
    People are complaining about slow shutter yet using the Nokia Camera app, and taking a full sized image and a smaller image at the same time. You can't seriously be comparing that to what the iphone is doing. If this is a problem then use the build in WP camera app or the smart cam function on Nokia Camera. Much much faster and fantastic images. Not Nokia Camera fantastic, but still smartphone fantastic. Apparently giving the option for the best photos is not desirable?
    02-14-2014 12:41 PM
    Taking the best photos should be an option, but so should taking a quicker photo. Before we get in to how much better the WP photos are than on the iPhone, I have seen plenty of images that were better taken with an iPhone than a high-end WP (mainly due to lighting).

For the times when things are static or not moving around that much, yes I want the best images possible. I want lossless zoom. I want to take frame-worthy pictures.

For the times when things are moving around and speed is important, I want a faster shutter speed. I can live with the picture being lower quality.

For times when things are moving around but I still want a fantastic image... I'll use a DSLR camera?

What you are suggesting is that I go in to one app with one set of settings if I want pictures one way, and another app with another set of settings when I want pictures another way. When I pull out my phone and hit the shutter button to take pictures, I usually just want to start taking pics. If they turn out ugly, I can always change the settings.
    02-14-2014 12:51 PM
    Taking quicker photos IS an option. Change your default camera app. Done, not sure what is so difficult, the option is there. You don't have to mess with it everytime if 99% of the time you want speed. Taking better photos with other phones is another story, you can't magically get better quality out of the hardware. Taking good photos ultimately depends on who is behind the camera. A good photographer with a Point and shoot will take better photos than a novice with a professional rig.
    JBConforti likes this.
    02-14-2014 01:23 PM
    As said above use the other camera app. There is the default app which is quick and snappy and then there is Pro Camera where you adjust your iso, exposure, shutter speed etc etc. Its the cool thing about having the different apps/lenses
    02-14-2014 01:25 PM
    How quick and snappy is it? If it is that fast then I will happily rescind my previous statements.
    02-14-2014 01:28 PM
    We really won't know until the 20th (I can tell we're all getting anxious). However messing around on my 928 I could average a picture almost every second. I truly don't think that the people doing the review know what they are doing. I bet if you're shooting in RAW it probably takes a bit to process it, but I'm sure in the default camera app or Nokia Camera with all the settings on auto you average about 1 a second. Again this is all based off the 928 but with the processor in the ICON it should be pretty speedy.
    Tjarren likes this.
    02-14-2014 02:07 PM
    I should post the videos I took from a concert a few months back.
    My 928 couldn't handle it. The flashing lights in the center of the screen just blew out the imaging processor. Everything was either pitch black or bright white, absolutely nothing in between. People around me with iPhones could actually see the band in the lights. Me? I just saw lights.

Now, my sound was better, but the video accompanying it is utterly worthless.

And, for everyone going "it's better than the iPhone!," what makes the iPhone camera nice is that you can spam the shutter button and take pictures as quickly as you tap. They're saying this is 8.5 seconds between shots. The iPhone is about .5 seconds. That's a huge, huge, huge difference.
    8.5 seconds isn't really acceptable these days.
    I'm legitimately interested. It was having a little bit of trouble in this video, all of the other videos are fine (just didn't want to spam a bunch of videos on the thread).
    02-14-2014 02:15 PM
    How quick and snappy is it? If it is that fast then I will happily rescind my previous statements.
    Well this is with my wifes 928, so not much help with the newer units until I get my icon.
    All tests were done for 10 seconds with the phone screen off and camera application closed out.
    Smart Cam set as default - phone opened app and went through one full sequence and the start of the second in the ten seconds. There are 7 images per sequence. Second sequence finished about at 12 seconds.
    Default app - opened app and shot 4 images by 10 seconds.

I'd still like this to be a bit faster and maybe it will be with the icon with the newer specs, but that speed is plenty speedy for me, especially coming from a turned off screen. The burst mode in 8.1 will be welcome as well.
    02-14-2014 02:29 PM
    Well this is with my wifes 928, so not much help with the newer units until I get my icon.
    All tests were done for 10 seconds with the phone screen off and camera application closed out.
    Smart Cam set as default - phone opened app and went through one full sequence and the start of the second in the ten seconds. There are 7 images per sequence. Second sequence finished about at 12 seconds.
    Default app - opened app and shot 4 images by 10 seconds.

I'd still like this to be a bit faster and maybe it will be with the icon with the newer specs, but that speed is plenty speedy for me, especially coming from a turned off screen. The burst mode in 8.1 will be welcome as well.
    The reviews quoted this as having an 8.5 second time between shots.
    Yes, there are other options, but nothing is nearly as fast as an iPhone can spam shots.

Sometimes spamming shots is very, very important. I'd wager far more often than needing a large and small image. Having a great looking shot isn't important if your timing is off.
    And your timing is kind of pointless. NO ONE is going to use Smart Cam as their default. It is incredibly slow and it takes an enormous amount of memory per image. You only want that functionality rarely.

There are an ENORMOUS amount of excuses made here. "Well, if you jump through this hoop and sacrifice this thing and blah blah blah." You should expect more, not expect to do more. Sorry, my 928 was the best camera on the market when it came out, then the iPhone 5S hit. Now, when trying to take stupid pictures of the new puppy at work, I have to open my camera, fumble to get Smartcam open, look, hold down the button, hope the puppy looks at me while it's taking its burst. My iPhone friends just open the cam and hit the shutter repeatedly, with no predefined timeframe and no fumbling to switch lenses.
    They have significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY, better photos than I do.
    02-14-2014 06:56 PM
    Speaking of blown out images, this is Seinfeld with a default photo:
    seinfeld.jpg

Here it is after taking a few hundred images with the Pro Cam to try to get some facial details:
    seinfelds.jpg

I'll try to get my coworker to email me his default iPhone shot. It... let's just say it was better.
    02-14-2014 07:06 PM
    rpd2 likes this.
    02-14-2014 07:27 PM
72 123