Lumia ICON Camera

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am bit disappointed with the camera of Lumia ICON. Despite having a thickness of 10MM, its lens size is same as 1520. They could have implemented a bigger lense and a bigger aperture size for ICON. Does Lumia ICON records the same bad quality video specially under low light?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it is the exact same camera as the 1520, so probably yes... :unhappy:

Lumia 1520 is 8.5 CM, ICON is 10 CM. They could have used bigger lense and aperture size, just like the way they did with Lumia 920, thus making low light pictures and videos better.

The reason for crappy video quality from 1520 is in the software not the hardware. So ICON uses the same firmware? I doubt

rpd2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Lumia ICON Camera Sucks?

I'm really disappointed in the camera on this phone. I was hoping to ditch my point and shoot with my next phone (currently using 822) and it does not look like this is it. I was willing to settle for the 20mp over the 41 of the 1020, but assumed it would be fast and efficient. Now I see reviews like this.

Nokia Lumia Icon Review | TIME.com

Most smart phones are equal now in terms of functionality unless you are a technophile. The camera WP needed to get this right and it look like they did not. (Unless the reviews are all wrong) I SAT AROUND WAITING FOR THIS THING FOR 6 MONTHS with an 822! Should I wait around now to see if the 1820 is available for Verizon or to see it they get their own version of the 1020?

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 was posted a few weeks ago to have a software update to fix the video issues on it. I think the poor quality is fixed now.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using WPCentral Forums mobile app

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
You could just go into verizon and try it out? They say the camera on the 928 is sluggish but I've never really had a complaint. I often feel that nokia is trying to push it more as a photographers camera instead of a typical smartphone camera. Only you can decide whats best for you but to make up your mind off an online review, in my opinion, is silly.

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Remember that there's a hump in place for the camera on the 1520, while on the Icon there is none. I think if they would have attempted to change out for a bigger lens, it would have created the need to hump this out too. I'm personally pretty glad they didn't, as this camera should be more than adequate for a novice like me.

rpd2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree and will still try it out, but in my opinion the ICON has no room for error with its delayed release and 8.1 right around the corner. The (still) camera is my most important feature so long as everything else is serviceable. (I'll even tolerate the wp lack of app selection) I would go to ATT with the 1020 if the network worked in my area.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I think the pictures look great for a phone camera.

No phone will match the quality of DSLR.......not even remotely close.

Why? A #1 - Sensor Size!

It has almost NOTHING to do with pixel count. It's FAR more about the lens and the sensor and how well they tie together. But a larger sensor is key.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow. No glance. No tap to awake. Now horrible camera and video? Meh. I have moved on from the icon but now its just getting sad. Next thing we will hear it won't be upgraded to 8.1. /s

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
"Horrible camera"??

There's seriously no pleasing people on this board. Reviews rate it as the best smartphone camera shy of the 1020 and it's now "horrible" and a "Deal breaker"

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I really don't get people here. The phone was not delayed. It can't be delayed if it wasn't announced. How can you delay something that didn't exist until a week ago? And 8.1 is coming to the ICON. And as slick said, the ICON/1520 are rated as the second best smartphone camera on the market, shy of the 41 megapixel 1020. You guys have known the rumored specs for months now and only now that they become official you guys start ICON bashing.

Also, don't forget that it can shoot in RAW format which means tons of room for post-editing.

Last edited:

rpd2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Icon bashing? This is not your baby. If the phone is disappointing it is ok to call it out. Just because it is the best windows phone available does not make it up to par wit the rest of the 2014 field.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Icon bashing? This is not your baby. If the phone is disappointing it is ok to call it out. Just because it is the best windows phone available does not make it up to par wit the rest of the 2014 field.

This is fair, but I haven't really seen any comparison threads with much discussion. Each one of these threads is a "the world is ending" thread without much actual discussion. I mean who am I to judge but I guess that's where I'm coming from. If that makes sense?

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming that the people who are saying the camera sucks have spent enough time with the device to make that statement. Yes? Oh wait, you haven't? Well then I would think these type of comments would be better said once you've actually had time to judge for yourself. You can bring up reviews that say the camera isn't great and I can bring up some that say it's the best smartphone camera outside of the 1020. Let's just wait til we get our hands on it before making such claims.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos