05-27-2014 07:26 PM
117 1234 ...
tools
    I just upgraded my wife & daughter to the edge program. We are in the same situation. Will only be paying.$7 more per month. So for $84 I can upgrade both of their phones in a year.
    02-18-2014 02:41 AM
    I just upgraded my wife & daughter to the edge program. We are in the same situation. Will only be paying.$7 more per month. So for $84 I can upgrade both of their phones in a year.
    How'd you come up with $84? From what I was told, you have to pay for at least half of the retail price of the phone before you can upgrade. So let's say both your wife and daughter own an iPhone with a retail value of $1400 combined, you will have to pay $700 to upgrade them both.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-18-2014 06:56 AM
    In reply to mozman68. Umm. So in that dudes case he is paying $3 more. The $20 is discounted off of the smartphone charge a month. The edge payment is separate from that. So he is still paying $23 roughly a month for his phone. If he wants to upgrade he needs to at least pay for half of his phone. Only half. So in twelve months he would have paid half. And he could trade in the phone and move unto the next one. Don't see where you get another $214 from. This deal isn't as bad as it once was. That article was written before they had made some changes recently. This new $10 or $20 discount makes the deal worth it in my opinion. Well the $20 discount anyway.
    He got $214 from subtracting $36 from $500. He did this because you have to pay at least half of the retail price of the phone before you can upgrade. So if the customer has already paid $36 in 12 months, he will still have to pay $214 to be able to upgrade.

Please note that the discount is applied to the monthly access fee ($40). So instead of paying a $40 monthly access fee, you'll pay $20. But no matter how you look at it, you still have to pay half of the retail price before you can upgrade.

I guess people see it as a rip off because you're continuously paying for a phone. Also, to get the $20 discount, you have to get 10gb or more, and getting more gb is not cheap with Verizon. It's both good and bad for me. Personal preference I guess.

Posted via the WPC App
    Last edited by fonefan; 02-18-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    02-18-2014 07:06 AM
    In reply to fonefan. Gotcha. From what I have read from Verizon website whatever the edge fee you have to pay that exact amount there is no changing it. So there is no way someone could pay just $36 in twelve months. Might just be preaching to the choir so I apologize in advance.

If I do go ahead with edge I wouldn't upgrade before twelve months because then it would really be a rip off. But to pay a few more dollars a month to upgrade every year sounds pretty good. Keep in mind that customers must trade in the phone when upgrading and it must be in good condition. So if the customer breaks the phone they would be in trouble.
    02-18-2014 07:23 AM
    In reply to fonefan. Gotcha. From what I have read from Verizon website whatever the edge fee you have to pay that exact amount there is no changing it. So there is no way someone could pay just $36 in twelve months. Might just be preaching to the choir so I apologize in advance.

If I do go ahead with edge I wouldn't upgrade before twelve months because then it would really be a rip off. But to pay a few more dollars a month to upgrade every year sounds pretty good. Keep in mind that customers must trade in the phone when upgrading and it must be in good condition. So if the customer breaks the phone they would be in trouble.
    You're right, the edge fee doesn't change. I put that in there because someone else in the forum assumed the discount was applied to the edge fee ($23edge fee-$20discount= $312months of payments=$36). But the discount is not applied to the edge fee, it's applied to the monthly access fee...Just an FYI to those who didn't know that.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-18-2014 07:37 AM
    I wish i understood any of this lol. I got 2 928's on launch day. Moved from sprint to verizon, with a 2GB data plan (just got bumped to 3 for free, probably going to drop back down to 2 and save the $10) How much more a month will this cost me if i went to the edge program? And this takes me out of contract right? and puts me in a I owe them for the phone contract. I have to either fully pay it off or trade it in after i have paid for half. We also have a corporate discount of 23%.

Math is hard.
    02-18-2014 09:08 AM
    I wish i understood any of this lol. I got 2 928's on launch day. Moved from sprint to verizon, with a 2GB data plan (just got bumped to 3 for free, probably going to drop back down to 2 and save the $10) How much more a month will this cost me if i went to the edge program? And this takes me out of contract right? and puts me in a I owe them for the phone contract. I have to either fully pay it off or trade it in after i have paid for half. We also have a corporate discount of 23%.

Math is hard.
    Add up what you pay for gb plus what you pay for monthly access fee (I'm guessing it's $40) plus the monthly Verizon edge price minus $10 discount if you're eligible for it.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-18-2014 09:19 AM
    What does it matter what the fee comes off of? You are still saving $20 a month regardless of what that 20 is being applied to.. Maybe its just me but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. It isn't like you have to pay the edge bill and your month bill separately.
    02-18-2014 09:34 AM
    Ok I am lost can someone do a break down.

$40 for phone
    $40 for wife's phone
    $80 for 6g data plan

Do I profit if I switch to edge?
    02-18-2014 09:35 AM
    What does it matter what the fee comes off of? You are still saving $20 a month regardless of what that 20 is being applied to.. Maybe its just me but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. It isn't like you have to pay the edge bill and your month bill separately.
    It matters when it comes to how much you have to pay when you're ready for the upgrade. Ex: your buying a $550 phone (approximately $23 a month for 24 months). if you're paying the full $23 for 12 months, then you've paid $276 towards the phone (half of the retail price, which is required to upgrade) and you can upgrade and you only have to pay the new edge fee for your new device. If the discount is taken off of the edge fee, that means you're only paying $3 a month for your phone, which is $36 in 12 months. If you want to upgrade at 12mths, that means you have dish out the remaining $214 dollars for your old phone plus the edge fee for the new device all at one time.

Basically, by taking the discount out of the monthly access fee rather than the edge fee, you're paying more throughout the year so you can pay less when you upgrade.

But yes, a $20 savings is a $20 savings.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-18-2014 09:55 AM
    I haven't read all the fine print but that makes no sense. If you think about, after 2 years on edge with a $20 discount you have only paid lets say $62 meaning you still owe close to 500 on that phone, I highly doubt they would let you upgrade if you owed $500 and that would be possibly the dumbest marketing campaign in the world. Could you imagine how pissed pretty much every single customer would be? It would take you 15 years to pay off that phone if they only counted the 3 dollar payment. Maybe I am wrong though, I have been plenty of times before. LOL
    02-18-2014 10:09 AM
    I haven't read all the fine print but that makes no sense. If you think about, after 2 years on edge with a $20 discount you have only paid lets say $62 meaning you still owe close to 500 on that phone, I highly doubt they would let you upgrade if you owed $500 and that would be possibly the dumbest marketing campaign in the world. Could you imagine how pissed pretty much every single customer would be? It would take you 15 years to pay off that phone if they only counted the 3 dollar payment. Maybe I am wrong though, I have been plenty of times before. LOL
    That's why the discount is not taken out of the edge fee... It's taken out of the monthly access fee. This way the full $23 edge fee is counted towards the phone payment rather than $3. I was just explaining to a person that was inquiring about why it mattered whether the discount was taken out of the edge fee or the monthly access fee. And you don't have to pay the full retail price of your phone to be able to upgrade...You only have to pay half.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-18-2014 10:19 AM
    Lol. It appears some people are getting confused again. The edge fee DOES NOT CHANGE. If the edge fee is $23.06 a month. It will ALWAYS be $23.06 a month. So in 12 months you will have half of the phone paid off. A customer CANNOT pay only $3 a month. You have to pay the FULL edge fee of $23.06 every month until you choose to upgrade. The $20 or $10 discount is taken off your smartphone's $40 monthly access fee.
    02-18-2014 10:23 AM
    Lol. It appears some people are getting confused again. The edge fee DOES NOT CHANGE. If the edge fee is $23.06 a month. It will ALWAYS be $23.06 a month. So in 12 months you will have half of the phone paid off. A customer CANNOT pay only $3 a month. You have to pay the FULL edge fee of $23.06. The $20 or $10 discount is taken of your smartphone's $40 monthly access fee.
    Lol. Verizon made it difficult for some people to understand. That's how some are getting suckered into it.

Posted via the WPC App
    xboxonthego3 likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:26 AM
    I get it now.. I think im a little slow.
    02-18-2014 10:26 AM
    lol it's alright. Like fonefan said they didn't make it easy to understand.
    02-18-2014 10:28 AM
    Ok I am lost can someone do a break down.

$40 for phone
    $40 for wife's phone
    $80 for 6g data plan

Do I profit if I switch to edge?
    If you bump up to the 10 GB plan for an extra $20/month, they knock $20/month off each line that you move to edge. you then pay 1/24th of the off contract price of whatever phone you pick. I upgraded my wife to a 928 and it's $16 and change per month, my granddaughter got an iPhone 5C and hers is $23 something. My daughter and I will get Icons, also $23/month. So we pay $20 extra to move up to 10GB, save $80 on monthly access fees and pay an average of just over $20 for payments on each phone. It will cost us about $28 extra a month for four lines upgraded every 12 months, an extra 65% data allowance and we don't have to pay ~$200 when it comes time to upgrade each line (works out to ~$400/year). We all get upgraded now instead of waiting another year and a half for some of the lines. Will you profit with 2 lines, no. Is it worth it to upgrade every 12 months, that's up to you.
    xboxonthego3 likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:29 AM
    We've got mathematicians in this thread...ahaha!

Posted via the WPC App
    xboxonthego3 likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:33 AM
    He never said he was only paying $3/month for the phone, he said he would be paying $3/month more than he does now (+$23.06/month for edge phone payment - $20/month for discount with large data plan), thus $36 in 12 months. He would still have 12 months of payments, and half the price of the phone paid off by the time he was eligible to upgrade.

What he is saying is that for $36 more a year he thinks it is worth it to be able to upgrade early.
    02-18-2014 11:35 AM
    In reply to mozman68. Umm. So in that dudes case he is paying $3 more. The $20 is discounted off of the smartphone charge a month. The edge payment is separate from that. So he is still paying $23 roughly a month for his phone. If he wants to upgrade he needs to at least pay for half of his phone. Only half. So in twelve months he would have paid half. And he could trade in the phone and move unto the next one. Don't see where you get another $214 from. This deal isn't as bad as it once was. That article was written before they had made some changes recently. This new $10 or $20 discount makes the deal worth it in my opinion. Well the $20 discount anyway.
    Read the fine print....the $20 discount is for the bill, not the Edge payment....You are "saving" that money, but you will need it as you have not been paying off the phone as Edge requires.

I MIGHT be mistaken, but that is so rare that I usually do not take that option into account...

EDIT:...whoops..didn't see all the responses on page two of this thread....so yes, looks like I am right... To confirm, you WILL pay in the end one way or another...
    02-18-2014 01:21 PM
    Lol. I did read the fine print. I wasn't wrong. I know that the $20 discount is part of the bill. By smartphone charge I meant the normal $40 monthly smartphone access fee. So someone would save $20 there. Then use the $20 they saved to use on the separate edge payment of $23. So that would mean they would only be spending $3 more overall a month. After paying for the edge payment of $23 a month for 12 months you will have paid half of the phone. So then you could upgrade with no extra charge... So after 12 months there is no extra fee to upgrade. I think I know what you are saying though. You don't save $20 overall. You actually pay a little more month to upgrade every year. Which is true.

Look at post #38 for how it works. Then look at post #42 for a good example. Also look at some of fonefan's comments, the user helps explain it too.
    02-18-2014 02:09 PM
    The line access without the edge program is $40 per smartphone. With Edge on a 8GB or fewer data plan the line access per smartphone is $30. So for example, if you had two smartphones on share everything 8GB plan you're currently paying $40 per smartphone (Total = $80) + 8GB data plan at $90. Total bill $170 + taxes. Now lets say they upgrade to the Samsung S4 Mini (retail cost of $400) via Edge with an 8GB data plan then the line access is discounted to $30 per phone then they pay $16.81 per month toward the phone + $90 for the data plan

2 x $30 line access = $60 +
    2 x $16.81 for phones = $33.62 + (33.62 x 12 installments = 403.44)
    1x $90 8GB Data Plan = $90

Total per month on Edge $183.62 + taxes difference = 13.62 more per month

He is simply stating that a net increase of $6.81 per phone per month will after 12 months will allow him to upgrade again.

Hope this helps clarify
    02-18-2014 06:18 PM
    Option 1:
    Keep my current family plan with 10GB data and wait until 2015 May to be eligible to upgrade. At that time I'd pay $200 for a new phone and $35 upgrade fee. I get to keep my current Lumia 928, which would be 2 years old and I don't see it selling for more than $100. $135 divided by 24 comes out to $5.63 a month.

Option 2:
    Sign an Edge agreement and pay $23 a month for the Lumia Icon, no upgrade fee. I'd also get $20 discount off my monthly access fee. In 12 months I'd be able to upgrade for practically free assuming the new phone's full retail price would be the same $550 and I keep my phone in good working condition. This option would basically cost me $3.06 a month. I'd also have the freedom of upgrading any time after 30 days by only paying the remaining balance on half the phone's retail price.

Option 3:
    I pay $550 for the Icon plus $35 upgrade fee and keep my current plan. If I'm very lucky I could sell my current Lumia 928 for $300. This option would cost me $11.88 a month over a 24 month period.

I really do think this is a no-brainer for people like me with a family plan and 10GB or more data plan.
    02-18-2014 06:28 PM
    If you're on a 10GB More Everything plan or higher, your best course of action is EDGE without a doubt. No contest.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    02-18-2014 06:28 PM
    Here's the Total Cost of Ownership breakdown for my case:

old program:
    6GB data = $80/mo
    4 lines @ $40/mo = 160/mo
    2 upgrades per year = $470/year ($200 for the phone + $35 upgrade fee each line) $470/12 = $39.17/mo
    sell 2 old phones per year after upgrading ($200/ year best case) = $16.50/mo credit
    total cost per month = $262.67

new plan:
    10 GB data = $100/mo
    4 lines = $80/mo
    price of 4 new phones spread over 24 months (based on $550 each/ 24 payments) = $92
    upgrade fees = $0
    total cost = $272/month

advantages of the old plan:
    You keep the old phones after upgrading and can sell them for whatever you might get
    Marginally lower TCO (3.5% cheaper)

advantages of the new plan:
    more data
    more frequent upgrades
    don't have to deal with trying to sell old phones

Bottom line:
    For $9.33/mo more, the extra data and yearly upgrades are a no-brainer for me. And, if in 10 months they come out with some new phone that I just have to have right away, I pay the $46 to get to 50% paid on my current phone and get the new phone. I don't consider the new plan a ripoff. The benefits outweigh the cost differential FOR ME. If you look at from a purely cost based perspective, it is cheaper to stay on the old plan. The cost differential decreases as you add more lines and actually tips in favor of the new plan when you hit a total of 8 lines, which probably doesn't apply to many of us, but still wanted to point out the actual tipping point.
    02-19-2014 12:45 AM
117 1234 ...