05-27-2014 07:26 PM
117 12345
tools
    Ok I am lost can someone do a break down.

$40 for phone
    $40 for wife's phone
    $80 for 6g data plan

Do I profit if I switch to edge?
    I have always gone to a non-Verizon store (because the Verizon reps at corporate stores tell me they are not comfortable with my motive, opened a line, got the subsidized phone, swapped the sim and used the phone with best specs, then sold the phone on the other line for a non-contract price to someone and made a profit, then repeat... Cancel your open line after it expires and... Repeat.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    02-19-2014 12:53 AM
    I have always gone to a non-Verizon store (because the Verizon reps at corporate stores tell me they are not comfortable with my motive, opened a line, got the subsidized phone, swapped the sim and used the phone with best specs, then sold the phone on the other line for a non-contract price to someone and made a profit, then repeat... Cancel your open line after it expires and... Repeat.

Don't you still end up paying for a line you're not using for 2 years? $40/mo * 24 months = $960 paid for a subsidized phone. Doesn't seem like a deal to me. What am I missing?
    02-19-2014 01:07 AM
    Don't you still end up paying for a line you're not using for 2 years? $40/mo * 24 months = $960 paid for a subsidized phone. Doesn't seem like a deal to me. What am I missing?
    I'm probably wrong. I don't know. I've lost track. I just know at this point that I have 5 lines and I pay $300 per month for unlimited talk, text and 14GB per month shared... Somehow I've been able to renew the lines before they are expired to EXTEND the 2 years each time and get a phone at a subsidized price each time I extend. Then I sell the phone I had previously and make a couple hundred bucks after its been used for a year or so. Then almost all five lines are coming to end of contract by June. I plan to renew all 5 lines and get phones again and just sell them all and continue to use the phones we have. Somehow it seems to work, but I'm probably doing it wrong. Likely your missing nothing.

02-19-2014 01:33 AM
    I'm probably wrong. I don't know. I've lost track. I just know at this point that I have 5 lines and I pay $300 per month for unlimited talk, text and 14GB per month shared... Somehow I've been able to renew the lines before they are expired to EXTEND the 2 years each time and get a phone at a subsidized price each time I extend. Then I sell the phone I had previously and make a couple hundred bucks after its been used for a year or so. Then almost all five lines are coming to end of contract by June. I plan to renew all 5 lines and get phones again and just sell them all and continue to use the phones we have. Somehow it seems to work, but I'm probably doing it wrong. Likely your missing nothing.

Gotcha. I didnt realize that you were keeping the old phones active on the other lines. I guess if you are happy using 4 year old phones on each line, then more power to you. You can puy the new phones at the subsidized price, resell them for $100-150 profit and be happy. What will you do if one of the old phones happens to crap out soon after you've sold off all the new ones?
    02-19-2014 01:49 AM
    Gotcha. I didnt realize that you were keeping the old phones active on the other lines. I guess if you are happy using 4 year old phones on each line, then more power to you. You can puy the new phones at the subsidized price, resell them for $100-150 profit and be happy. What will you do if one of the old phones happens to crap out soon after you've sold off all the new ones?
    Pay retail for a new one I guess - it's not an exact science. I have never had a phone die, break, or stop working. In fact, several of my phones from years ago are still in service with a few of my employees - including my "original" iPhone... Which I wish I had back.

02-19-2014 09:31 AM
    Congrats on making the old phones last. I definitely can't pull that off, especially with my daughter and granddaughter. They are both rough on phones. My wife and I are good at making them last, but I prefer to upgrade more often and Windows phones make that pretty easy. I also always use the Qi wireless charging so that prevents the micro USB port damage that many phones are subject to. I guess that's why I like the Edge program.
    02-19-2014 12:36 PM
    Another option (if they are willing to do it) is add a cellular tablet to your account (without the actual tablet) as they usually only run $10 month. You can then use that new number to get a subsidized phone.

Yes, you will pay $10 per month for nothing, but with the unsubsidized cost of a premium phone, it saves hundreds over the two years.
    02-19-2014 04:14 PM
    Another option (if they are willing to do it) is add a cellular tablet to your account (without the actual tablet) as they usually only run $10 month. You can then use that new number to get a subsidized phone.

Yes, you will pay $10 per month for nothing, but with the unsubsidized cost of a premium phone, it saves hundreds over the two years.
    The point of sale system in a corporate store prevents a tablet line from being upgraded into anything but a tablet. :/

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    02-19-2014 10:35 PM
    So I ran the numbers for our plan and Edge looks good with the discount.

Current:
    6GB data $63
    9 lines $360
    phones $86(9 phones) divide phone purchase($200+$30upgrade fee) cost over 24 months
    Total $509 for 9 lines + insurance

Edge program:
    10GB data $79
    9 lines $360
    Discount -$180(9 lines)
    phones $206 (9 phones)
    Total $465 for 9 lines no insurance needed

If you take into account the insurance deductible, there is really very little reason to do insurance. It makes more sense to use the deductible to pay down the phone balance if needed and get a BRAND NEW phone. :)
    02-20-2014 10:23 AM
    In reply to airjeff,
    Except! There is a fine detail you are missing. In order to upgrade early you must pay for at least half of your phone. And trade in your previous phone in good and working condition. You might be able to pay the full amount. And go to the next phone. But that doesn't seem like a deal anymore.
    02-20-2014 10:42 AM
    In reply to airjeff,
    Except! There is a fine detail you are missing. In order to upgrade early you must pay for at least half of your phone. And trade in your previous phone in good and working condition. You might be able to pay the full amount. And go to the next phone. But that doesn't seem like a deal anymore.
    I did think of that, there is some degree of risk, but not unreasonable for the savings. If you kill your phone at 1 month it wouldn't be fun. But isn't the deductible $75 with VZW? That would be just a hair over 3 months of phone payments. So 9 months would be the magic number to hit. Even then, you'd be saving $108/year on insurance. If you add up the $75+$108 it is 8 months of phone payments. So, if we can go 4 months without a claim we break even. It's not perfect, but seems very low risk for the potential cost savings.

There is an additional thing to consider, Edge will start your agreement over for another 2 years. Might matter, might not, depending on who you are.

I hear you on the trade-in thing and that is totally a personal call. But you need to factor in eBay fees, PayPal fees, my time, buyer headaches, the fact that VZW gives you a refurb and Edge would give me a brand new device of my choice. To me the trade-in thing is a wash after I look at it all, right now anyway. I'm still kinda skeptical and feel like there is some gotcha that I missed. So feel free to poke holes.
    02-20-2014 11:10 AM
    I wish i could find a way of getting this phone, but looks like ill just have to stay with my 928.

I have 2 928's right now, 1 GB of data + insurance - discount = $130

Upgrading to edge with 1GB of data would be close to 150 if im doing the math right. $20 more a month doesnt really seem worth it right now...

60 Line access
    47 Phone Payment
    32 for data
    12 for insurace
    02-20-2014 11:31 AM
    I wish i could find a way of getting this phone, but looks like ill just have to stay with my 928.

I have 2 928's right now, 1 GB of data + insurance - discount = $130

Upgrading to edge with 1GB of data would be close to 150 if im doing the math right. $20 more a month doesnt really seem worth it right now...

60 Line access
    47 Phone Payment
    32 for data
    12 for insurace
    Two phones on a two year = $460

Two phones on Edge after one year = $288

02-20-2014 08:52 PM

While I'm onboard with the Edge program, the one thing you didn't consider is that you can resell your old phone on the old program and you must trade them in on Edge. I valued that at $100 per phone every two years.
    02-21-2014 12:41 AM
    But you don't own the phone and it has to be in good working condition when you turn it in. Not a problem for me, but some are rough on their phones. Still don't see the benefit unless there is an amazing phone that comes out every 6-12 months that I can't live without. Right now, I pay them for 2 years for my service, a nominal fee to purchase the phone, and they subsidize the rest. I also expect Verizon to change that in their quest to flip everybody to Edge.
    02-21-2014 06:27 AM

I guess i dont really understand your point here.

Owning the phone is not that big of an issue to me, i usually keep my old phone's just laying around and never sell them. I like the idea of upgrading every year, as I'm one of those "early adopters", but im not sure that ability is worth the extra $240 a year. If i broke even, or was less then an extra $100 a year i'd probably jump right on. I do have the chance to maybe give my mother-in-law my 928, have her buy the Icon and give it to me, while i pay the $230 to upgrade her current phone. I gotta start working that angle :P
    02-21-2014 08:26 AM
    So, let me make sure I have this straight.
    Me: 40
    Wife: 40
    Daugther: 40
    $120 total access fee + $90 for 8 gb shared plan = $210 currently without taxes
    upgrade to 10gb shared new price $100 new price $220
    upgrade to phones to the ICON $46 (23 each) - new price $266 monthly
    3 lines discount for the 10gb upgrade @ $20 each monthly = $60. New monthly price would be $206.
    Am I correct?
    02-21-2014 09:07 AM
    Sounds right to me.
    02-21-2014 09:46 AM
    In reply to riquejohnson. The $20 discount is multiplied by the number of edge phones you have from what I understand. So you only have two edge phones. 2 * $20 = $40. So only a $40 discount. If you had 3 phones on edge it would be $60.
    02-21-2014 11:04 AM
    So I'm trying to follow the math here, did we figure out that if you don't mind not being able to sell your phone later you'll make out ok with this limited time offer? Or is the math too much for a simple yes or no?
    02-21-2014 11:37 AM
    The trick is if you have another working smart phone (like a trophy or any other Verizon smart phone) you can activate it & trade it in then sell the 928, Might be worth it to buy a trophy on ebay for $20 & use it to trade in.

I had my old trophy that still works, activated it & traded in that instead of my 928. Gave my 928 to my daughter as an upgrade to her 822,selling the 822 for $85 on ebay. My other daughter is an iphone girl, she wanted a 5c. I took off her 4s, activated her old 4 & traded it in. Sold the 4s for $250. After all is said & done I'm up $155 in a year if we trade in current phones & get new one's.
    02-21-2014 11:59 AM
    I thought the $20 dollar discount was for upgrading to the 10gb shared plan and each phone got the discount. I'm reading it now.
    Quote:
    $20 off smartphone monthly access
    Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB or greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments And there's never an upgrade fee.
    End Quote:
    So this tells me if I upgrade to the 10GB plan, my montly discount would be $60 (3x20). It is true that I'm only upgrading two of the 3 devices to the ICON.
    02-21-2014 12:19 PM
    You only get the discount for lines that are on the edge plan, so if you have 3 phones on edge you get $60 off, 2 you get $40 off.

Get MORE savings with Verizon Edge on The More Everything Plan

$10 off smartphone monthly line access

With plans starting at just $45 monthly access, Verizon Edge is not just flexible. It's affordable. Get $10 off smartphone monthly line access for 250MB to 8GB plans.
    OR
    $20 off smartphone monthly line access

Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB and greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments. And there's never an upgrade fee.
    02-21-2014 12:24 PM
    You only get the discount for lines that are on the edge plan, so if you have 3 phones on edge you get $60 off, 2 you get $40 off.

Get MORE savings with Verizon Edge on The More Everything Plan

$10 off smartphone monthly line access

With plans starting at just $45 monthly access, Verizon Edge is not just flexible. It's affordable. Get $10 off smartphone monthly line access for 250MB to 8GB plans.
    OR
    $20 off smartphone monthly line access

Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB and greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments. And there's never an upgrade fee.
    -----------------
    Thanks, I missed that. So it would only be a $40 discount because I'm only using the Edge plan for two phones.
    Currently, I pay $210 monthly without taxes. If I do the Edge plan for two phones and upgrade my monthly data to 10MB upgrade. My monthly goes to $226. Still doable for me.
    02-21-2014 12:49 PM
    I just found out after reading the Edge fine print that you can use a basic phone to join with this promo. So buy a cheap basic Verizon phone. Sell your current phone & that will offset the $16/ month more or $192 after one year. What phones do you currently have? If you can sell both for at least $100 each you can trade-in the Icon in a year for a new phone & it will all be a wash...

Even better is they let you keep the basic phone, so you can turn around & use it to upgrade your other line...
    02-21-2014 01:02 PM
117 12345