05-27-2014 07:26 PM
117 ... 2345
tools
    I thought the $20 dollar discount was for upgrading to the 10gb shared plan and each phone got the discount. I'm reading it now.
    Quote:
    $20 off smartphone monthly access
    Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB or greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments And there's never an upgrade fee.
    End Quote:
    So this tells me if I upgrade to the 10GB plan, my montly discount would be $60 (3x20). It is true that I'm only upgrading two of the 3 devices to the ICON.
    The Icon on Edge will cost $23.06 per device

There is currently a promo if you do it online. You get your activation and first installment credited back to you.
    02-21-2014 01:16 PM
    Ok, I'm confused. Hopefully, one of our VZW folks can chime in on this. Right now I have one line on the old Alltel Friends and Family with Unlimited data. I use less than 1GB per month, even with streaming Nokia Music on my commute, so I don't need anything more. I'm out of contract (been for 8 or so months) and the option I am familiar with is the More Everything plan which, after my corporate discount (I believe 22%) would be about $71. Currently it's $69 and change.This would mean me putting out the absurd $35 dollars for the privilege of going back under contract, and shelling out $199 for the Icon.

My understanding of this Edge plan is that, if I chose this route, I would be adding $23 to my monthly bill, but would then save $10 on the monthly access charge, and my corporate discount on the data plan. The should mean a net increase of my bill to ~$83-84. This of course, if it were the case would save me the $199 and the $35, while costing me $23 up front (whoohoo!). Now, I tried looking to see if this was all correct by going on-line and going through the upgrade process to verify my cost. It only shows my corporate discount of $8.80 off of the data plan, but the monthly access shows as $40, and my bill would be ~$94. Is this a system issue? Or is this correct, and I don't understand how the program works?
    02-21-2014 05:30 PM
    You are 100% correct. The discount wont show up until your next billing statement. I asked the same question after I joined & went online to look at my account & saw no access discount.
    02-22-2014 03:30 AM
    So, with that discount actually in place, even if I kept the phone the full 2 years to own it, as opposed to trading it in after one year, it would end up costing me only ~$80 more for the phone if I got it when new ($13*24=312-199-35=$78). Without that $10 discount, or if I was to leave Verizon's service and go to someone else, the phone cost itself would be the full price and I would be paying $240 more over the term of the contract to own the same phone that I could if I went the normal route.

Essentially, I would be paying $40 a year, give or take a few bucks, to be able to upgrade early and avoid a deposit on the phone, as well as the insidiously stupid $30 phone upgrade fee. So, in the end, I pay $10 more, but I lose unlimited data and gain unlimited text messaging and talk. Of course, if I wait until this phone is heavily discounted, or potentially free, that changes the math entirely. This appears to only be a good deal for those who want top end smartphones when they come out.

Decisions...decisions...
    Last edited by falconrap; 02-22-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    02-22-2014 08:31 AM
    Just so you know I was charged $63 for first installment which I am suppose to get back, online special only
    02-24-2014 10:08 AM
    Just so you know I was charged $63 for first installment which I am suppose to get back, online special only
    I don't think it's the "first installment." It's the tax on the full value of the phone. That's what I was told when I purchased mine last Thursday morning.
    NDCowpoke likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:23 PM
    I don't think it's the "first installment." It's the tax on the full value of the phone. That's what I was told when I purchased mine last Thursday morning.
    If that's the case, then that kind of sucks. At this point, I'm starting to think I'll just wait until Verizon's sale staff incompetence forces VZW to lower the subsidy cost to move units. Probably about a month or two before it drops to $99 followed by free for a limited time. With the 928, I waited a couple of months hoping for the well rumored red version to come out, and it started having sales where the phone was free for a couple weeks and popped back up to either $49 or $99. By the time I gave up on getting it in red, the Icon rumors started. This time...I ain't waiting for red. As soon as that phone hits the price point I'm willing to let go of my unlimited plan for, I'm pouncing.
    wpn00b and NDCowpoke like this.
    02-24-2014 08:53 PM
    That's where I am. As soon as it hits the price point that my wife will allow (:winik:), I'll get it, with one condition. If there's a 41MP rumored for Verizon by then, I'll wait for it. At this point, I'm not convinced that Edge is the way I'll go - we'll have to see when the time comes. Having three phones on my plan, and having a wife who is gracious enough to accept the hand-me-down, I almost always have an upgrade available when a new WP comes out.
    02-24-2014 09:03 PM
    If that's the case, then that kind of sucks. At this point, I'm starting to think I'll just wait until Verizon's sale staff incompetence forces VZW to lower the subsidy cost to move units. Probably about a month or two before it drops to $99 followed by free for a limited time. With the 928, I waited a couple of months hoping for the well rumored red version to come out, and it started having sales where the phone was free for a couple weeks and popped back up to either $49 or $99. By the time I gave up on getting it in red, the Icon rumors started. This time...I ain't waiting for red. As soon as that phone hits the price point I'm willing to let go of my unlimited plan for, I'm pouncing.
    Good luck. :)
    02-24-2014 10:07 PM
    If that's the case, then that kind of sucks.
    Hey, I just checked my receipt and it is for the first month's installment AND tax. Sorry for being incorrect earlier.
    02-25-2014 09:07 AM
    The prompt I keep getting when I login to Verizon's site states that I have to return my existing phone (even though it is a 2 yr contract phone). For those that have "Edged Up", does Verizon provide you with a return label when you receive your new Edge phone? Thanks.
    03-03-2014 01:43 PM
    Yes, but please read my comments & threads on the edge up program. If you have an existing phone that is worht anything. buy a feature phone from craigslist or ebay, activate it then "Edge up" there is no stipulation that states you have to turn in your "current" phone, only the phone "currently active" on the line you are switching to Edge.
    03-03-2014 02:46 PM
    The prompt I keep getting when I login to Verizon's site states that I have to return my existing phone (even though it is a 2 yr contract phone). For those that have "Edged Up", does Verizon provide you with a return label when you receive your new Edge phone? Thanks.
    I would assume they do provide a label. I did mine in store and they just did the exchange there. The funny part is I offered my old charging cable for the 928 and the associate said they just wanted the phone. I also found out the military discount they offer is also valid for vets. I lost my old discount when they tried to verify my employment. Now I get 15% off service and they told me I do not ever need to re-verify.
    03-03-2014 02:51 PM
    Has anyone received their first bill on the Verizon Edge plan yet? That's where the real deal happens.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk
    03-20-2014 07:02 AM
    Has anyone received their first bill on the Verizon Edge plan yet? That's where the real deal happens.
    Yes, I got my first bill a couple of days ago. No surprises.
    03-20-2014 08:00 AM

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk
    I have been on the Edge program for about 6-7 months now and never had issues with cost. I dropped unlimited data at the time but got on the Verizon Max plan where I get 6GB data for the same cost as before and can upgrade earlier and am not on contract other than to pay the phone off.
    03-20-2014 11:17 AM
    I have been on the Edge program for about 6-7 months now and never had issues with cost. I dropped unlimited data at the time but got on the Verizon Max plan where I get 6GB data for the same cost as before and can upgrade earlier and am not on contract other than to pay the phone off.
    What are you paying a month?
    03-20-2014 11:30 AM
    99 service(includes taxes) plus 23 a month for phone. It will be lower now as I found out I get 15% discount on service for being a vet. I tried checking just now to see what new bill will be but it isn't available for about 5 more days. I will update with the new totals when I get it. My old plan was 450 anytime minutes and unlimited texts and data for 99/month. I now have 450 anytime minutes, unlimited texts and 6GB data for same cost for service. When I used to get 22% off at old job my total bill was around 77-78/month with taxes so I am thinking will be about 85-87/month with taxes plus 23 for phone. I also found out when I edged up to the Icon that the Edge program changed their policy so that you can edge up every 30 days now if you want. Same thing applies that you just have to pay at least half of old phone off. It wouldn't make much sense to do it that way financially unless you really hated your phone and were outside the 14 day window.
    03-20-2014 04:22 PM
    ANyone who did not get a protection plan?
    03-22-2014 06:45 AM
    I didn't get a protection plan, but am thinking about that. I have another week to decide. Verizon generally gives you a 30 day window in regards to protection plans.

Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk
    03-22-2014 03:40 PM
    I bit the bullet today, got myself a white icon. I preferred the black 928, but the white icon is just so sharp i couldnt walk away from it. I activated an old Samsung Intensity just before leaving for the store. The rep called me out on activating an old phone and said he would have done the same thing. Hopefully i like the phone only time will tell.
    03-23-2014 02:58 PM
    I bit the bullet today, got myself a white icon. I preferred the black 928, but the white icon is just so sharp i couldnt walk away from it. I activated an old Samsung Intensity just before leaving for the store. The rep called me out on activating an old phone and said he would have done the same thing. Hopefully i like the phone only time will tell.
    Now get a Surface 2 just so they match! :D
    03-23-2014 03:01 PM
    Now get a Surface 2 just so they match! :D
    My surface 1 would be sad, much like my 928 :S lol
    03-23-2014 03:13 PM
    New bill showed up and is 91.29 with all taxes included. I think I may have to wait one more month for bill to stabilize as I think they overcharged me or retro'd my discount as the charges look screwy with the upgrade.
    03-24-2014 09:43 PM
    I'm thinking I might upgrade. I've got an extra 822, currently using a 928. There are three phones on my family plan. A 928, an 822, and a dumb phone (sorry - politically correct version: feature phone). We have 4GB shared plan between the two Lumias. Unlimited text and talk, of course, with the plan. And 20% off of the base plan. Altogether, we spend something just a hair under $200.

If I have this figured right, I can activate the spare 822 in place of the 928 (so I can keep and/or sell the 928 - my wife doesn't want a phone that big), then go in and trade in the 822 for an Icon. My wife wants to keep her 822, so I'm not sure if the per line discount applies to that phone or not. But if I get an Icon and a 10GB plan, my cost goes to this:
    $80 for the 10 GB plan ($100 - 20% corporate discount)
    $90 for the three phones ($40 + $40 + $30 - $20 line discount), or even $70, if the line discount applies to the existing 822, which I don't know.
    $God knows how much for taxes
    Becomes $170, or possibly even $150
    Then add $23.06 per month for the Icon, which takes it up to either $193 or 173, depending on how it works. So I'm either spending about the same as what I'm spending now per month, or I'm saving about $20, and I'm getting the phone with no outlay, and no contract (though I'm sure I'd have to pay off the phone should I leave Verizon, which I'm not going to do for coverage purposes).

Do I have this figured right? As far as I can tell the only down side of this is that I have to hand the phone over to them when I go down the road and want to upgrade. But even then, can't I just buy a cheap android, put my SIM in it, walk into the store, and walk out with a new phone, then sell the Icon?

Does this sound like I've got it right?
    03-26-2014 01:52 PM
117 ... 2345