Open Enrollment to verizon edge program

chrisbash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a no-brainer for me. I have 5 lines on my family plan with 10GB shared data. With the $20 discount I'd end up paying ~$3 more for the Icon. I wouldn't have to wait until May of next year to be eligible for an upgrade and pay $200 plus $35 upgrade fee for the newest phone.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like a no-brainer for me. I have 5 lines on my family plan with 10GB shared data. With the $20 discount I'd end up paying ~$3 more for the Icon. I wouldn't have to wait until May of next year to be eligible for an upgrade and pay $200 plus $35 upgrade fee for the newest phone.

The discount, I believe, is only on the line that's on the Edge plan. All the other lines don't get a discount.

Posted via the WPC App

chrisbash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The discount, I believe, is only on the line that's on the Edge plan. All the other lines don't get a discount.

Posted via the WPC App

That was my understanding too. I'd be paying $23.06 for the device but I'd get $20 off my bill. $3 extra a month for a new phone every year with no upgrade fees sounds like a very good deal to me.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
That was my understanding too. I'd be paying $23.06 for the device but I'd get $20 off my bill. $3 extra a month for a new phone every year with no upgrade fees sounds like a very good deal to me.

Read this article to understand...or not...they are not in business to give you a good deal. You WILL pay more for the phone as the subsidized $20 a month does not count towards the Edge payments you are making toward the phone. So...yes...plan on paying $3 a month towards a $500 phone and then at the end of 12 months ($36 later) plan on shelling out another $214 for the privilege of upgrading to a new phone. Rinse and repeat.

Verizon's Edge phone upgrade plan is the same bad ripoff as AT&T Next | The Verge

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In reply to mozman68. Umm. So in that dudes case he is paying $3 more. The $20 is discounted off of the smartphone charge a month. The edge payment is separate from that. So he is still paying $23 roughly a month for his phone. If he wants to upgrade he needs to at least pay for half of his phone. Only half. So in twelve months he would have paid half. And he could trade in the phone and move unto the next one. Don't see where you get another $214 from. This deal isn't as bad as it once was. That article was written before they had made some changes recently. This new $10 or $20 discount makes the deal worth it in my opinion. Well the $20 discount anyway.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded my wife & daughter to the edge program. We are in the same situation. Will only be paying.$7 more per month. So for $84 I can upgrade both of their phones in a year.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded my wife & daughter to the edge program. We are in the same situation. Will only be paying.$7 more per month. So for $84 I can upgrade both of their phones in a year.

How'd you come up with $84? From what I was told, you have to pay for at least half of the retail price of the phone before you can upgrade. So let's say both your wife and daughter own an iPhone with a retail value of $1400 combined, you will have to pay $700 to upgrade them both.

Posted via the WPC App

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
In reply to mozman68. Umm. So in that dudes case he is paying $3 more. The $20 is discounted off of the smartphone charge a month. The edge payment is separate from that. So he is still paying $23 roughly a month for his phone. If he wants to upgrade he needs to at least pay for half of his phone. Only half. So in twelve months he would have paid half. And he could trade in the phone and move unto the next one. Don't see where you get another $214 from. This deal isn't as bad as it once was. That article was written before they had made some changes recently. This new $10 or $20 discount makes the deal worth it in my opinion. Well the $20 discount anyway.

He got $214 from subtracting $36 from $500. He did this because you have to pay at least half of the retail price of the phone before you can upgrade. So if the customer has already paid $36 in 12 months, he will still have to pay $214 to be able to upgrade.

Please note that the discount is applied to the monthly access fee ($40). So instead of paying a $40 monthly access fee, you'll pay $20. But no matter how you look at it, you still have to pay half of the retail price before you can upgrade.

I guess people see it as a rip off because you're continuously paying for a phone. Also, to get the $20 discount, you have to get 10gb or more, and getting more gb is not cheap with Verizon. It's both good and bad for me. Personal preference I guess.

Posted via the WPC App

Last edited:

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In reply to fonefan. Gotcha. From what I have read from Verizon website whatever the edge fee you have to pay that exact amount there is no changing it. So there is no way someone could pay just $36 in twelve months. Might just be preaching to the choir so I apologize in advance.

If I do go ahead with edge I wouldn't upgrade before twelve months because then it would really be a rip off. But to pay a few more dollars a month to upgrade every year sounds pretty good. Keep in mind that customers must trade in the phone when upgrading and it must be in good condition. So if the customer breaks the phone they would be in trouble.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
In reply to fonefan. Gotcha. From what I have read from Verizon website whatever the edge fee you have to pay that exact amount there is no changing it. So there is no way someone could pay just $36 in twelve months. Might just be preaching to the choir so I apologize in advance.

If I do go ahead with edge I wouldn't upgrade before twelve months because then it would really be a rip off. But to pay a few more dollars a month to upgrade every year sounds pretty good. Keep in mind that customers must trade in the phone when upgrading and it must be in good condition. So if the customer breaks the phone they would be in trouble.

You're right, the edge fee doesn't change. I put that in there because someone else in the forum assumed the discount was applied to the edge fee ($23edge fee-$20discount= $3?12months of payments=$36). But the discount is not applied to the edge fee, it's applied to the monthly access fee...Just an FYI to those who didn't know that.

Posted via the WPC App

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I wish i understood any of this lol. I got 2 928's on launch day. Moved from sprint to verizon, with a 2GB data plan (just got bumped to 3 for free, probably going to drop back down to 2 and save the $10) How much more a month will this cost me if i went to the edge program? And this takes me out of contract right? and puts me in a I owe them for the phone contract. I have to either fully pay it off or trade it in after i have paid for half. We also have a corporate discount of 23%.

Math is hard.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I wish i understood any of this lol. I got 2 928's on launch day. Moved from sprint to verizon, with a 2GB data plan (just got bumped to 3 for free, probably going to drop back down to 2 and save the $10) How much more a month will this cost me if i went to the edge program? And this takes me out of contract right? and puts me in a I owe them for the phone contract. I have to either fully pay it off or trade it in after i have paid for half. We also have a corporate discount of 23%.

Math is hard.

Add up what you pay for gb plus what you pay for monthly access fee (I'm guessing it's $40) plus the monthly Verizon edge price minus $10 discount if you're eligible for it.

Posted via the WPC App

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
What does it matter what the fee comes off of? You are still saving $20 a month regardless of what that 20 is being applied to.. Maybe its just me but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. It isn't like you have to pay the edge bill and your month bill separately.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok I am lost can someone do a break down.

$40 for phone
$40 for wife's phone
$80 for 6g data plan

Do I profit if I switch to edge?

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
What does it matter what the fee comes off of? You are still saving $20 a month regardless of what that 20 is being applied to.. Maybe its just me but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. It isn't like you have to pay the edge bill and your month bill separately.

It matters when it comes to how much you have to pay when you're ready for the upgrade. Ex: your buying a $550 phone (approximately $23 a month for 24 months). if you're paying the full $23 for 12 months, then you've paid $276 towards the phone (half of the retail price, which is required to upgrade) and you can upgrade and you only have to pay the new edge fee for your new device. If the discount is taken off of the edge fee, that means you're only paying $3 a month for your phone, which is $36 in 12 months. If you want to upgrade at 12mths, that means you have dish out the remaining $214 dollars for your old phone plus the edge fee for the new device all at one time.

Basically, by taking the discount out of the monthly access fee rather than the edge fee, you're paying more throughout the year so you can pay less when you upgrade.

But yes, a $20 savings is a $20 savings.

Posted via the WPC App

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read all the fine print but that makes no sense. If you think about, after 2 years on edge with a $20 discount you have only paid lets say $62 meaning you still owe close to 500 on that phone, I highly doubt they would let you upgrade if you owed $500 and that would be possibly the dumbest marketing campaign in the world. Could you imagine how pissed pretty much every single customer would be? It would take you 15 years to pay off that phone if they only counted the 3 dollar payment. Maybe I am wrong though, I have been plenty of times before. LOL

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I haven't read all the fine print but that makes no sense. If you think about, after 2 years on edge with a $20 discount you have only paid lets say $62 meaning you still owe close to 500 on that phone, I highly doubt they would let you upgrade if you owed $500 and that would be possibly the dumbest marketing campaign in the world. Could you imagine how pissed pretty much every single customer would be? It would take you 15 years to pay off that phone if they only counted the 3 dollar payment. Maybe I am wrong though, I have been plenty of times before. LOL

That's why the discount is not taken out of the edge fee... It's taken out of the monthly access fee. This way the full $23 edge fee is counted towards the phone payment rather than $3. I was just explaining to a person that was inquiring about why it mattered whether the discount was taken out of the edge fee or the monthly access fee. And you don't have to pay the full retail price of your phone to be able to upgrade...You only have to pay half.

Posted via the WPC App

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Lol. It appears some people are getting confused again. The edge fee DOES NOT CHANGE. If the edge fee is $23.06 a month. It will ALWAYS be $23.06 a month. So in 12 months you will have half of the phone paid off. A customer CANNOT pay only $3 a month. You have to pay the FULL edge fee of $23.06 every month until you choose to upgrade. The $20 or $10 discount is taken off your smartphone's $40 monthly access fee.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Lol. It appears some people are getting confused again. The edge fee DOES NOT CHANGE. If the edge fee is $23.06 a month. It will ALWAYS be $23.06 a month. So in 12 months you will have half of the phone paid off. A customer CANNOT pay only $3 a month. You have to pay the FULL edge fee of $23.06. The $20 or $10 discount is taken of your smartphone's $40 monthly access fee.

Lol. Verizon made it difficult for some people to understand. That's how some are getting suckered into it.

Posted via the WPC App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss