Open Enrollment to verizon edge program

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok I am lost can someone do a break down.

$40 for phone
$40 for wife's phone
$80 for 6g data plan

Do I profit if I switch to edge?

If you bump up to the 10 GB plan for an extra $20/month, they knock $20/month off each line that you move to edge. you then pay 1/24th of the off contract price of whatever phone you pick. I upgraded my wife to a 928 and it's $16 and change per month, my granddaughter got an iPhone 5C and hers is $23 something. My daughter and I will get Icons, also $23/month. So we pay $20 extra to move up to 10GB, save $80 on monthly access fees and pay an average of just over $20 for payments on each phone. It will cost us about $28 extra a month for four lines upgraded every 12 months, an extra 65% data allowance and we don't have to pay ~$200 when it comes time to upgrade each line (works out to ~$400/year). We all get upgraded now instead of waiting another year and a half for some of the lines. Will you profit with 2 lines, no. Is it worth it to upgrade every 12 months, that's up to you.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
He never said he was only paying $3/month for the phone, he said he would be paying $3/month more than he does now (+$23.06/month for edge phone payment - $20/month for discount with large data plan), thus $36 in 12 months. He would still have 12 months of payments, and half the price of the phone paid off by the time he was eligible to upgrade.

What he is saying is that for $36 more a year he thinks it is worth it to be able to upgrade early.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
In reply to mozman68. Umm. So in that dudes case he is paying $3 more. The $20 is discounted off of the smartphone charge a month. The edge payment is separate from that. So he is still paying $23 roughly a month for his phone. If he wants to upgrade he needs to at least pay for half of his phone. Only half. So in twelve months he would have paid half. And he could trade in the phone and move unto the next one. Don't see where you get another $214 from. This deal isn't as bad as it once was. That article was written before they had made some changes recently. This new $10 or $20 discount makes the deal worth it in my opinion. Well the $20 discount anyway.

Read the fine print....the $20 discount is for the bill, not the Edge payment....You are "saving" that money, but you will need it as you have not been paying off the phone as Edge requires.

I MIGHT be mistaken, but that is so rare that I usually do not take that option into account...:winktongue:

EDIT:...whoops..didn't see all the responses on page two of this thread....so yes, looks like I am right...:winktongue: To confirm, you WILL pay in the end one way or another...

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Lol. I did read the fine print. I wasn't wrong. I know that the $20 discount is part of the bill. By smartphone charge I meant the normal $40 monthly smartphone access fee. So someone would save $20 there. Then use the $20 they saved to use on the separate edge payment of $23. So that would mean they would only be spending $3 more overall a month. After paying for the edge payment of $23 a month for 12 months you will have paid half of the phone. So then you could upgrade with no extra charge... So after 12 months there is no extra fee to upgrade. I think I know what you are saying though. You don't save $20 overall. You actually pay a little more month to upgrade every year. Which is true.

Look at post #38 for how it works. Then look at post #42 for a good example. Also look at some of fonefan's comments, the user helps explain it too.

Bryan Contreras1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The line access without the edge program is $40 per smartphone. With Edge on a 8GB or fewer data plan the line access per smartphone is $30. So for example, if you had two smartphones on share everything 8GB plan you're currently paying $40 per smartphone (Total = $80) + 8GB data plan at $90. Total bill $170 + taxes. Now lets say they upgrade to the Samsung S4 Mini (retail cost of $400) via Edge with an 8GB data plan then the line access is discounted to $30 per phone then they pay $16.81 per month toward the phone + $90 for the data plan

2 x $30 line access = $60 +
2 x $16.81 for phones = $33.62 + (33.62 x 12 installments = 403.44)
1x $90 8GB Data Plan = $90

Total per month on Edge $183.62 + taxes difference = 13.62 more per month

He is simply stating that a net increase of $6.81 per phone per month will after 12 months will allow him to upgrade again.

Hope this helps clarify

chrisbash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Option 1:
Keep my current family plan with 10GB data and wait until 2015 May to be eligible to upgrade. At that time I'd pay $200 for a new phone and $35 upgrade fee. I get to keep my current Lumia 928, which would be 2 years old and I don't see it selling for more than $100. $135 divided by 24 comes out to $5.63 a month.

Option 2:
Sign an Edge agreement and pay $23 a month for the Lumia Icon, no upgrade fee. I'd also get $20 discount off my monthly access fee. In 12 months I'd be able to upgrade for practically free assuming the new phone's full retail price would be the same $550 and I keep my phone in good working condition. This option would basically cost me $3.06 a month. I'd also have the freedom of upgrading any time after 30 days by only paying the remaining balance on half the phone's retail price.

Option 3:
I pay $550 for the Icon plus $35 upgrade fee and keep my current plan. If I'm very lucky I could sell my current Lumia 928 for $300. This option would cost me $11.88 a month over a 24 month period.

I really do think this is a no-brainer for people like me with a family plan and 10GB or more data plan.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
If you're on a 10GB More Everything plan or higher, your best course of action is EDGE without a doubt. No contest.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's the Total Cost of Ownership breakdown for my case:

old program:
6GB data = $80/mo
4 lines @ $40/mo = 160/mo
2 upgrades per year = $470/year ($200 for the phone + $35 upgrade fee each line) $470/12 = $39.17/mo
sell 2 old phones per year after upgrading ($200/ year best case) = $16.50/mo credit
total cost per month = $262.67

new plan:
10 GB data = $100/mo
4 lines = $80/mo
price of 4 new phones spread over 24 months (based on $550 each/ 24 payments) = $92
upgrade fees = $0
total cost = $272/month

advantages of the old plan:
You keep the old phones after upgrading and can sell them for whatever you might get
Marginally lower TCO (3.5% cheaper)

advantages of the new plan:
more data
more frequent upgrades
don't have to deal with trying to sell old phones

Bottom line:
For $9.33/mo more, the extra data and yearly upgrades are a no-brainer for me. And, if in 10 months they come out with some new phone that I just have to have right away, I pay the $46 to get to 50% paid on my current phone and get the new phone. I don't consider the new plan a ripoff. The benefits outweigh the cost differential FOR ME. If you look at from a purely cost based perspective, it is cheaper to stay on the old plan. The cost differential decreases as you add more lines and actually tips in favor of the new plan when you hit a total of 8 lines, which probably doesn't apply to many of us, but still wanted to point out the actual tipping point.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok I am lost can someone do a break down.

$40 for phone
$40 for wife's phone
$80 for 6g data plan

Do I profit if I switch to edge?

I have always gone to a non-Verizon store (because the Verizon reps at corporate stores tell me they are ?not comfortable? with my motive, opened a line, got the subsidized phone, swapped the sim and used the phone with best specs, then sold the phone on the other line for a non-contract price to someone and made a profit, then repeat... Cancel your open line after it expires and... Repeat.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have always gone to a non-Verizon store (because the Verizon reps at corporate stores tell me they are ?not comfortable? with my motive, opened a line, got the subsidized phone, swapped the sim and used the phone with best specs, then sold the phone on the other line for a non-contract price to someone and made a profit, then repeat... Cancel your open line after it expires and... Repeat.

Don't you still end up paying for a line you're not using for 2 years? $40/mo * 24 months = $960 paid for a subsidized phone. Doesn't seem like a deal to me. What am I missing?

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Don't you still end up paying for a line you're not using for 2 years? $40/mo * 24 months = $960 paid for a subsidized phone. Doesn't seem like a deal to me. What am I missing?

I'm probably wrong. I don't know. I've lost track. I just know at this point that I have 5 lines and I pay $300 per month for unlimited talk, text and 14GB per month shared... Somehow I've been able to renew the lines before they are expired to EXTEND the 2 years each time and get a phone at a subsidized price each time I extend. Then I sell the phone I had previously and make a couple hundred bucks after its been used for a year or so. Then almost all five lines are coming to end of contract by June. I plan to renew all 5 lines and get phones again and just sell them all and continue to use the phones we have. Somehow it seems to work, but I'm probably doing it wrong. Likely your missing nothing.

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably wrong. I don't know. I've lost track. I just know at this point that I have 5 lines and I pay $300 per month for unlimited talk, text and 14GB per month shared... Somehow I've been able to renew the lines before they are expired to EXTEND the 2 years each time and get a phone at a subsidized price each time I extend. Then I sell the phone I had previously and make a couple hundred bucks after its been used for a year or so. Then almost all five lines are coming to end of contract by June. I plan to renew all 5 lines and get phones again and just sell them all and continue to use the phones we have. Somehow it seems to work, but I'm probably doing it wrong. Likely your missing nothing.

Gotcha. I didnt realize that you were keeping the old phones active on the other lines. I guess if you are happy using 4 year old phones on each line, then more power to you. You can puy the new phones at the subsidized price, resell them for $100-150 profit and be happy. What will you do if one of the old phones happens to crap out soon after you've sold off all the new ones?

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Gotcha. I didnt realize that you were keeping the old phones active on the other lines. I guess if you are happy using 4 year old phones on each line, then more power to you. You can puy the new phones at the subsidized price, resell them for $100-150 profit and be happy. What will you do if one of the old phones happens to crap out soon after you've sold off all the new ones?

Pay retail for a new one I guess - it's not an exact science. I have never had a phone die, break, or stop working. In fact, several of my phones from years ago are still in service with a few of my employees - including my "original" iPhone... Which I wish I had back.

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on making the old phones last. I definitely can't pull that off, especially with my daughter and granddaughter. They are both rough on phones. My wife and I are good at making them last, but I prefer to upgrade more often and Windows phones make that pretty easy. I also always use the Qi wireless charging so that prevents the micro USB port damage that many phones are subject to. I guess that's why I like the Edge program.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Another option (if they are willing to do it) is add a cellular tablet to your account (without the actual tablet) as they usually only run $10 month. You can then use that new number to get a subsidized phone.

Yes, you will pay $10 per month for nothing, but with the unsubsidized cost of a premium phone, it saves hundreds over the two years.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Another option (if they are willing to do it) is add a cellular tablet to your account (without the actual tablet) as they usually only run $10 month. You can then use that new number to get a subsidized phone.

Yes, you will pay $10 per month for nothing, but with the unsubsidized cost of a premium phone, it saves hundreds over the two years.

The point of sale system in a corporate store prevents a tablet line from being upgraded into anything but a tablet. :/

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
So I ran the numbers for our plan and Edge looks good with the discount.

Current:
6GB data $63
9 lines $360
phones $86(9 phones) divide phone purchase($200+$30upgrade fee) cost over 24 months
Total $509 for 9 lines + insurance

Edge program:
10GB data $79
9 lines $360
Discount -$180(9 lines)
phones $206 (9 phones)
Total $465 for 9 lines no insurance needed

If you take into account the insurance deductible, there is really very little reason to do insurance. It makes more sense to use the deductible to pay down the phone balance if needed and get a BRAND NEW phone. :)

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In reply to airjeff,
Except! There is a fine detail you are missing. In order to upgrade early you must pay for at least half of your phone. And trade in your previous phone in good and working condition. You might be able to pay the full amount. And go to the next phone. But that doesn't seem like a deal anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes