Open Enrollment to verizon edge program

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
In reply to airjeff,
Except! There is a fine detail you are missing. In order to upgrade early you must pay for at least half of your phone. And trade in your previous phone in good and working condition. You might be able to pay the full amount. And go to the next phone. But that doesn't seem like a deal anymore.

I did think of that, there is some degree of risk, but not unreasonable for the savings. If you kill your phone at 1 month it wouldn't be fun. But isn't the deductible $75 with VZW? That would be just a hair over 3 months of phone payments. So 9 months would be the magic number to hit. Even then, you'd be saving $108/year on insurance. If you add up the $75+$108 it is 8 months of phone payments. So, if we can go 4 months without a claim we break even. It's not perfect, but seems very low risk for the potential cost savings.

There is an additional thing to consider, Edge will start your agreement over for another 2 years. Might matter, might not, depending on who you are.

I hear you on the trade-in thing and that is totally a personal call. But you need to factor in eBay fees, PayPal fees, my time, buyer headaches, the fact that VZW gives you a refurb and Edge would give me a brand new device of my choice. To me the trade-in thing is a wash after I look at it all, right now anyway. I'm still kinda skeptical and feel like there is some gotcha that I missed. So feel free to poke holes.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I wish i could find a way of getting this phone, but looks like ill just have to stay with my 928.

I have 2 928's right now, 1 GB of data + insurance - discount = $130

Upgrading to edge with 1GB of data would be close to 150 if im doing the math right. $20 more a month doesnt really seem worth it right now...

60 Line access
47 Phone Payment
32 for data
12 for insurace

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I wish i could find a way of getting this phone, but looks like ill just have to stay with my 928.

I have 2 928's right now, 1 GB of data + insurance - discount = $130

Upgrading to edge with 1GB of data would be close to 150 if im doing the math right. $20 more a month doesnt really seem worth it right now...

60 Line access
47 Phone Payment
32 for data
12 for insurace

Two phones on a two year = $460

Two phones on Edge after one year = $288

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

While I'm onboard with the Edge program, the one thing you didn't consider is that you can resell your old phone on the old program and you must trade them in on Edge. I valued that at $100 per phone every two years.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
But you don't own the phone and it has to be in good working condition when you turn it in. Not a problem for me, but some are rough on their phones. Still don't see the benefit unless there is an amazing phone that comes out every 6-12 months that I can't live without. Right now, I pay them for 2 years for my service, a nominal fee to purchase the phone, and they subsidize the rest. I also expect Verizon to change that in their quest to flip everybody to Edge.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I guess i dont really understand your point here.

Owning the phone is not that big of an issue to me, i usually keep my old phone's just laying around and never sell them. I like the idea of upgrading every year, as I'm one of those "early adopters", but im not sure that ability is worth the extra $240 a year. If i broke even, or was less then an extra $100 a year i'd probably jump right on. I do have the chance to maybe give my mother-in-law my 928, have her buy the Icon and give it to me, while i pay the $230 to upgrade her current phone. I gotta start working that angle :p

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So, let me make sure I have this straight.
Me: 40
Wife: 40
Daugther: 40
$120 total access fee + $90 for 8 gb shared plan = $210 currently without taxes
upgrade to 10gb shared new price $100 new price $220
upgrade to phones to the ICON $46 (23 each) - new price $266 monthly
3 lines discount for the 10gb upgrade @ $20 each monthly = $60. New monthly price would be $206.
Am I correct?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In reply to riquejohnson. The $20 discount is multiplied by the number of edge phones you have from what I understand. So you only have two edge phones. 2 * $20 = $40. So only a $40 discount. If you had 3 phones on edge it would be $60.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
So I'm trying to follow the math here, did we figure out that if you don't mind not being able to sell your phone later you'll make out ok with this limited time offer? Or is the math too much for a simple yes or no?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The trick is if you have another working smart phone (like a trophy or any other Verizon smart phone) you can activate it & trade it in then sell the 928, Might be worth it to buy a trophy on ebay for $20 & use it to trade in.

I had my old trophy that still works, activated it & traded in that instead of my 928. Gave my 928 to my daughter as an upgrade to her 822,selling the 822 for $85 on ebay. My other daughter is an iphone girl, she wanted a 5c. I took off her 4s, activated her old 4 & traded it in. Sold the 4s for $250. After all is said & done I'm up $155 in a year if we trade in current phones & get new one's.

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought the $20 dollar discount was for upgrading to the 10gb shared plan and each phone got the discount. I'm reading it now.
Quote:
$20 off smartphone monthly access
Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB or greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments And there's never an upgrade fee.
End Quote:
So this tells me if I upgrade to the 10GB plan, my montly discount would be $60 (3x20). It is true that I'm only upgrading two of the 3 devices to the ICON.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You only get the discount for lines that are on the edge plan, so if you have 3 phones on edge you get $60 off, 2 you get $40 off.

[h=2]Get MORE savings with Verizon Edge on The More Everything Plan[/h][h=3]$10 off smartphone monthly line access[/h]With plans starting at just $45 monthly access, Verizon Edge is not just flexible. It's affordable. Get $10 off smartphone monthly line access for 250MB to 8GB plans.
OR
[h=3]$20 off smartphone monthly line access[/h]Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB and greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments. And there's never an upgrade fee.

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You only get the discount for lines that are on the edge plan, so if you have 3 phones on edge you get $60 off, 2 you get $40 off.

Get MORE savings with Verizon Edge on The More Everything Plan

$10 off smartphone monthly line access

With plans starting at just $45 monthly access, Verizon Edge is not just flexible. It's affordable. Get $10 off smartphone monthly line access for 250MB to 8GB plans.
OR
$20 off smartphone monthly line access

Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB and greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments. And there's never an upgrade fee.
-----------------
Thanks, I missed that. So it would only be a $40 discount because I'm only using the Edge plan for two phones.
Currently, I pay $210 monthly without taxes. If I do the Edge plan for two phones and upgrade my monthly data to 10MB upgrade. My monthly goes to $226. Still doable for me.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just found out after reading the Edge fine print that you can use a basic phone to join with this promo. So buy a cheap basic Verizon phone. Sell your current phone & that will offset the $16/ month more or $192 after one year. What phones do you currently have? If you can sell both for at least $100 each you can trade-in the Icon in a year for a new phone & it will all be a wash...

Even better is they let you keep the basic phone, so you can turn around & use it to upgrade your other line...

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I thought the $20 dollar discount was for upgrading to the 10gb shared plan and each phone got the discount. I'm reading it now.
Quote:
$20 off smartphone monthly access
Get discounts from day one. Get $20 off smartphone line access for 10GB or greater plans. Enjoy low monthly device payments And there's never an upgrade fee.
End Quote:
So this tells me if I upgrade to the 10GB plan, my montly discount would be $60 (3x20). It is true that I'm only upgrading two of the 3 devices to the ICON.

The Icon on Edge will cost $23.06 per device

There is currently a promo if you do it online. You get your activation and first installment credited back to you.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm confused. Hopefully, one of our VZW folks can chime in on this. Right now I have one line on the old Alltel Friends and Family with Unlimited data. I use less than 1GB per month, even with streaming Nokia Music on my commute, so I don't need anything more. I'm out of contract (been for 8 or so months) and the option I am familiar with is the More Everything plan which, after my corporate discount (I believe 22%) would be about $71. Currently it's $69 and change.This would mean me putting out the absurd $35 dollars for the privilege of going back under contract, and shelling out $199 for the Icon.

My understanding of this Edge plan is that, if I chose this route, I would be adding $23 to my monthly bill, but would then save $10 on the monthly access charge, and my corporate discount on the data plan. The should mean a net increase of my bill to ~$83-84. This of course, if it were the case would save me the $199 and the $35, while costing me $23 up front (whoohoo!). Now, I tried looking to see if this was all correct by going on-line and going through the upgrade process to verify my cost. It only shows my corporate discount of $8.80 off of the data plan, but the monthly access shows as $40, and my bill would be ~$94. Is this a system issue? Or is this correct, and I don't understand how the program works?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You are 100% correct. The discount wont show up until your next billing statement. I asked the same question after I joined & went online to look at my account & saw no access discount.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So, with that discount actually in place, even if I kept the phone the full 2 years to own it, as opposed to trading it in after one year, it would end up costing me only ~$80 more for the phone if I got it when new ($13*24=312-199-35=$78). Without that $10 discount, or if I was to leave Verizon's service and go to someone else, the phone cost itself would be the full price and I would be paying $240 more over the term of the contract to own the same phone that I could if I went the normal route.

Essentially, I would be paying $40 a year, give or take a few bucks, to be able to upgrade early and avoid a deposit on the phone, as well as the insidiously stupid $30 phone upgrade fee. So, in the end, I pay $10 more, but I lose unlimited data and gain unlimited text messaging and talk. Of course, if I wait until this phone is heavily discounted, or potentially free, that changes the math entirely. This appears to only be a good deal for those who want top end smartphones when they come out.

Decisions...decisions...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo