Open Enrollment to verizon edge program

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That sounds about right. I had the Friends and Family which, after corporate discount, was $69/mo. I got the Icon on Edge for $23/mo plus $33 in taxes ($61.55 total). I switched to the new single line plan for 1GB at $60/mo, and then get the $10/mo discount for Edge. I ended up paying $72 and change/mo but added Asurion for $5/mo. So you shell out ~$60 instead of $230 and end up paying about the same amount per month. Seems to be the target VZW is aiming for to lure people to Edge.

So far I love this thing. The display is so much better than the 822's, and I really liked that display. The phone is definitely faster as well.

I think you should go for it.

theetommyt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Can you really just activate an old phone (I have a bb curve) then trade that one in? It doesn't have to be activated for 30 days or anything like that? I'll be heading to pick up an Icon immediately if that's the case. It'll be enough to push me over the edge to change from Android.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Can you really just activate an old phone (I have a bb curve) then trade that one in? It doesn't have to be activated for 30 days or anything like that? I'll be heading to pick up an Icon immediately if that's the case. It'll be enough to push me over the edge to change from Android.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Thats what i did, activated an old Samsung Intensity at home Immediately headed to the verizon store. When i got there gave them my phone number they saw that i had an intensity, then used that phone to EDGE up to the icon. Still have my 928.

The rep even commented "you activated this phone right before you came in didnt you?" i replied with a YEP and he said he would have done the same thing.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thats what i did, activated an old Samsung Intensity at home Immediately headed to the verizon store. When i got there gave them my phone number they saw that i had an intensity, then used that phone to EDGE up to the icon. Still have my 928.

The rep even commented "you activated this phone right before you came in didnt you?" i replied with a YEP and he said he would have done the same thing.

Yup - and that's what I'm going to do. And the next time I want to Edge up, I'll pick up a cheap android to use for a trade-in (though it pains me greatly to think of activating an android device on my account).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They probably will, but in the meantime, one of the benefits of having three lines on my plan is multiple upgrades. Bonus is that my wife wants to stick with her 822 because my 928 is too big for her. :smile:

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had to activate my Pre 2 to use in place of my now bricked 822. I thought they were supposed to take the phone, but they didn't take my Pre 2, so I still have it anytime I want to have some sweet webOS nostalgia. Now...I can't keep my hands of my Icon. I keep turning it on just to look at that awesome HD screen.

Doing the Edge program appears to have worked out nicely for me. We'll see how it goes down the road.

Insane Toad

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I switched activation my and my wifes phones over to our old droid charges from a lumia 928 and a note 2 and then went to the store to change over to the edge program. They would not even attempt to process the order. They said that I had to trade in the lumia 928 and the note 2 that were on the account up until earlier today. I called support while in the store and support told the store manager that there was no reason to not process the order as is. Manager said he did not care and was not going to even attempt to process it. I guess I just ran into the wrong person. Has anybody tried an online order this way?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Go online & print out the edge FAQ. Highlight the part that reads:
"The Early Edge Open Enrollment option will be available 2/13/14 - 4/30/14.

Note: You must return the phone that was on your line at the time you placed your Verizon Edge order, and it must be returned to Verizon Wireless within 14 days of receiving your new phone. If you do not, you may be charged a non-return fee of up to $200"

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone switched to Edge in a Microsoft Store? I'm wanting to go ahead and upgrade to the Icon (from 928), and switch to Edge, but I much prefer buying my phone at the Microsoft Store.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I tried. You can't Edge up at the Microsoft Store. You also can't buy at Verizon and get MS insurance. So I guess I'll be stuck with VZW insurance, and I'll be getting an Icon tonight. None of the stores near work have the white one, so the store by the house is holding their only one for me.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So, when does it become more beneficial to do a 2-year contract and when is it more beneficial to do the Edge. My understanding is that when you're on a 2-year contract and it comes up you should renew it immediately and get a new phone because doing so maximizes the subsidy that you get. However, on Edge with a 10GB shared data plan or more, they give you a $25 discount on the monthly $40 charge, so the longer you hang onto your phone the better the deal? Or, is that monthly discount only for the 2-year Edge contract? In other words, what happens to your payments after 2 years on contract and what happens to them after 2 years on Edge? Everyone keeps saying the downside of Edge is that you don't own your device and always have to trade it in. Is that still the case if you don't upgrade until after 2 years? My assumption was that Edge was a huge rip off and that the 2-year contract was better, but after reading this thread it seems like most people think that Edge is better, especially if you're already on a 10GB shared family plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb