08-07-2014 05:20 PM
101 12345
tools
    I received mine today and I REALLY wanted to like WP coming from android...but I can't do it. The phone is awkward, the OS is awkward (I use Win 8.1 on my desktop), no swype style input on the keyboard, everything just seems less to me. I have grown to really like my 8.1 on my desktop but I don't see me keeping the Icon and likely am going back to Android.
    02-21-2014 08:56 PM
    I received mine today and I REALLY wanted to like WP coming from android...but I can't do it. The phone is awkward, the OS is awkward (I use Win 8.1 on my desktop), no swype style input on the keyboard, everything just seems less to me. I have grown to really like my 8.1 on my desktop but I don't see me keeping the Icon and likely am going back to Android.
    02-21-2014 09:56 PM
    Interesting...I'm coming from the same background (8.1 desktop & android) But I absolutely love my new Icon!
    02-21-2014 09:58 PM
    I just feel limited. I really can't stand the keyboard, the tiles are either enormous or tiny, and my main gripe is the email. I was hoping for more off a true outlook 13 feel but I got generic.
    02-21-2014 10:05 PM
    I just feel limited. I really can't stand the keyboard, the tiles are either enormous or tiny, and my main gripe is the email. I was hoping for more off a true outlook 13 feel but I got generic.
    I'm confused as to why you would think that....it is a mail client that let's you get mail through all mail services....just like every other smart phone.
    02-22-2014 08:34 AM
    Not true, it looks like a bunched up jumbled mess. So much so that after 4 hours of tinkering with the phone last night I sent it back this morning. It just lacks what I expected and truthfully the keyboard input was a deal killer.
    02-22-2014 09:04 AM
    I'm confused as to why you would think that....it is a mail client that let's you get mail through all mail services....just like every other smart phone.
    Yep, you can combine them or not or even combine several into different shared inboxes. And it's so much faster than the iPhone 5's mail client. Loving my Icon so far!
    gernerttl likes this.
    02-22-2014 09:17 AM
    Not true, it looks like a bunched up jumbled mess. So much so that after 4 hours of tinkering with the phone last night I sent it back this morning. It just lacks what I expected and truthfully the keyboard input was a deal killer.
    So, I would say, no phone other than an Android phone will do for you as the iPhone actually handles mail and typing worse than WP. And i say that as my opinion as I was on iPhone since the first phone.

Would love to try swype, but haven't had the chance.

The mail client on WP is superior IMHO as it allows you to combine or separate inboxes as needed which in turn allows me to set tiles (and glance in my case for my 1520) for my precise notifications. Also, I have found that Outlook in general lets me consolidate all contact info better than any other software I have ever seen.
    02-22-2014 09:20 AM
    I am not one to normally post any types of reviews but thought I might help those considering the Icon for their next phone coming from something other than win phone. I have been looking to get a new phone for sometime, my iPhone 4 was growing old and tired and I didn't much care for ios7. I was also looking to get a bigger phone, prior to the iphone I had a HTC Evo which I liked the size of, but I didn't have a desire to go back to android.

My hope was that I would love the Icon as soon as I put it in my hand, but the reality was it wasn't quite that easy. Making a phone change requires more than an hour to make up your mind. There were things that just took a little time to solve, but once I was able to navigate my way through the apps and what I needed, I have pretty much managed to replace all the things I did on my iphone with the Icon. Now I am not a power phone user by any means, so I didn't have a need for all the "so called" apps that are out there for ios and android, but I have found that just about everything I needed is out in the windows store.

There were a couple of things that did take me a little while to figure out with the help of the many users on this site.
    1. There is no visual voicemail (by default), which I had come to rely on more than I had known. However with a little research, there were plenty of options in the store to satisfy what I was looking for. I end up using MagikMail.
    2. Because I was coming from an iphone I wasn't receiving text messages from my family and friends that have iphones. Again after doing a little research, I learned that I had to unregister my old phone through Apple. Once I did that, smooth sailing with the text messages.

Now back to the Icon. I won't repeat all the good things so many have already talked about. I really do like the phone, it just took me a little time to make the adjustment. I do love the fact that I really can customize the home screen of this phone with the things that I use most often and keep the other apps that I use tied to the apps screen. The phone size is exactly what I was looking for and to me doesn't feel bulky or heavy as some of the other tech reviews have mentioned.

So far the only thing I have noticed is that the icon is pretty rough on the battery life. This again could be user error as I am getting more familiar with how things need to be setup. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Lastly, the thing that surprised me most, even though I was really familiar with what I was getting myself into with the Icon, change is hard and it really takes a little time and effort to switch eco systems. In the end I am very excited to be on a windows phone. Hope this helps those wanting to make a switch.
    02-22-2014 09:41 AM
    Have you done the usual battery saving things, like turn off the XBox connection, keep it off 100% brightness, turn off NFC, etc? That made a lot of difference on my 928. Icon's bat does seem small on the spec sheet though, which is maddening.
    02-23-2014 01:37 PM
    Have you done the usual battery saving things, like turn off the XBox connection, keep it off 100% brightness, turn off NFC, etc? That made a lot of difference on my 928. Icon's bat does seem small on the spec sheet though, which is maddening.
    How do you turn off NFC?
    02-24-2014 10:22 AM
    I went into the Verizon store yesterday to get a quick hands on with the Icon. I was really surprised by how gorgeous the phone looks in person. They had the black one on display. The form factor and weight is absolutely dead on. The screen is a beauty. In fact the only flaw I found (not really bad) in the phone was that it was particularly slippery in the hands. The matte black finish was a little tricky to hold on to but if I was on Verizon and due for an upgrade this would definitely be mine. The camera is everything too.
    02-24-2014 12:31 PM
    It's in settings under "Tap + Send" - also go into "cellular" and change "mode selection" to "LTE and CDMA" - Bluetooth, Location, etc all drain battery even when not in use. Also in settings, swipe to "applications" and "games" - disable "Connect with XBox". Also in applications go to "background tasks" and disable anything you don't need running in the BG. Hope it helps!
    pci2k, flackberry and aximtreo like this.
    02-24-2014 02:24 PM
    Given I love my Icon, this is by far one of the best reviews I've read to date on the phone -

Nokia Lumia Icon review: the best Windows Phone handset yet | Pocketnow
    Starrbuck and aximtreo like this.
    02-25-2014 08:37 PM
    Lol read every comment. Everyone essentially thought the review was awful.
    I skipped through some and had to smile. Most of the comments are fairly mild and just point out the fact that this really seems to know her iphone and little more.

Sorry for the language, but DITCH THE ******* EXCLUSIVES
    And while you are at it: ditch country variants!

Given I love my Icon, this is by far one of the best reviews I've read to date on the phone -

Nokia Lumia Icon review: the best Windows Phone handset yet | Pocketnow
    I also very much like pocketnow. And if you knew the videos of that particular guy (Taylor) you woukd be even more impressed by his review. He is still a wp8 sceptic ...
    Last edited by SpareBot; 02-26-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    02-26-2014 02:49 PM
    I agree, PocketNow is both fair and generally reviews phones more from a user prospective than the high brow technology editor that cares more about his ego than the phone.
    02-26-2014 04:16 PM
    Just upgraded to it yesterday from a Droid Bionic, which was a pretty good piece of hardware, never supported correctly, but that's a topic for another forum. Spent a couple hours last night setting it up. If you're tech/phone savvy at all and familiar with either Android or iOS, you'll have no problem. The interface/settings are clean and simple, pretty intuitive, maybe a little on the minimalist side. Reminds me of the Xbox One, no surprise, with MS apparently intentionally limiting what you can even see, never mind change. For the average user, it's not a big deal and even I'm nitpicking a bit. Speed and display are great. Form factor is about as big as is manageable, i.e., being able to sit comfortably with it in a front pants pocket. I'm liking the tiles, makes me better appreciate what MS is trying to do with Windows 8 and I love being able to delete any app, especially Verizon stuff, very cathartic. No major setup issues - syncing with Exchange was simple, email client blows away what I was used to, and I got my few go to apps installed and working with no problem. One complaint on that front is the Citrix Receiver appears to only support a single account. At least I can't find a way of adding a second account and I went into every setting I could find. But it works and for business users, that's big. It was one of the reasons I held off going to WP until now. Call quality seems decent enough but I didn't spend much time talking on the phone. My biggest gripe, no alert notification/light. I know, I know, 8.1 is on the way but it's 2014, you shouldn't have to unlock your phone to know you have texts/voicemail/email/etc. Even the original Droid in 2009 had an alert light. Anyway, nothing is perfect, I'm happy about the switch so far, and I'm excited about my phone again. That pretty much says it all.
    Last edited by spicypadthai; 02-28-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    02-27-2014 09:28 AM
    My biggest gripe, no alert notification/light. I know, I know, 8.1 is on the way but it's 2014, you shouldn't have to unlock your phone to know you have texts/voicemail/email/etc. Even the original Droid in 2009 had an alert light. Anyway, nothing is perfect and overall, I'm happy about the switch so far and I'm excited about my phone again. That pretty much says it all.
    I understand how you feel. Coming from my first smartphone as a Blackberry that had the notification light, to my Droid that didn't was a bit of a change. Since the Droid I've gotten used to hitting the power button to see if there are any notifications which is what I still do with my Lumia 900. I've gotten used to it and it seems like second nature now.

I'm glad you're happy with the switch as I've been eyeing this phone for a few days now, myself. I hope it continues!
    02-27-2014 09:48 AM
    I haven't really noticed it until now but the batterlife on my phone has been great. Under heavy use, I was able to get around 10 hours of use. However now that I've settled back into my normal routine, my phone will last between 20-24 hours before I charge it again. Much better than my older 928 where I would usually charge it at night and again when I got home around 7 in the afternoon. While I still think Nokia should have used a 2600-3000 mAh battery so we could get a whole day with heavy heavy use, the 2420 mAh battery still seems fine.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    02-27-2014 03:33 PM
    I haven't really noticed it until now but the batterlife on my phone has been great. Under heavy use, I was able to get around 10 hours of use. However now that I've settled back into my normal routine, my phone will last between 20-24 hours before I charge it again. Much better than my older 928 where I would usually charge it at night and again when I got home around 7 in the afternoon. While I still think Nokia should have used a 2600-3000 mAh battery so we could get a whole day with heavy heavy use, the 2420 mAh battery still seems fine.
    I'm with you. My battery life is now tremendous. I also do throw it on a wireless charger sitting at my desk every now and then. The only time I've plugged this phone in is to charge it to full out of the box, and to sync it once to my PC. Besides that, I've gone 5 days without having to charge much at all.
    02-28-2014 07:46 AM
    I'll be brief as I'm on the go a lot today - I've had the Icon since Tuesday.

Man, If Verizon/Nokia had built the 928 this way, with the solid feel and heft, what might have been. My 928 was/is a solid and great phone, but the Icon just has a "gravitas" about it. If the hardest part of dealing with this phone is deciding how best to utilize the extra tile space, well then....
    02-28-2014 08:50 AM
    I just got my Icon yesterday but so far no problems or glitches. Battery life is great. Better than the 928. Great phone.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    02-28-2014 11:50 AM
    Just stopped by Verizon store and got some hands on time with Icon. I'm an Android user currently and have been intrigued by this phone's specs. I tried a 920 out briefly about 9 months ago, but found it and OS weren't quite able to meet my demands. But I've kept watch on Windows Phone and am waiting to see if it addresses some of my issues.

First, I think the Icon is a great looking phone. I like the industrial design look and it feels great in hand - not nearly as heavy as the 920. That screen is outstanding - as good as any Android phone on the market and the camera is better than any Android. The only thing I would knock on design - the speaker seems a little weak to me. Maybe too much noise in the Verizon store, but with volume at 20/30, I still was having hard time hearing sound clearly on video or music.

The OS has come a long way in 9 months and it nearly has me won over. There are still just a few things missing for my use case. One is keyboard - I use Swiftkey Flow on Android and WP doesn't have anything similar yet. Second is VPN. I'm a private consultant and need to take client security seriously, so I always use VPN connection when on public wifi. Again missing from WP currently. Last is Google Now. This is extremely useful tool when traveling - giving quick updates on all travel itinerary and meetings. I'm hoping Cortana is half as good. I know 8.1 is supposed to address nearly all of these concerns. I think I will hold off until it drops and then may give WP another try!
    02-28-2014 04:19 PM
    02-28-2014 06:08 PM
    I didn't think this question warranted a new thread and I wasn't sure where else to post this so I hope this thread is ok. So the two stripes on the top and bottom of the phone are supposed to be antenna. Well I have a couple small scratches on the bottom of my phone from trying to plug it in to charge. Does anyone know if this affects signal strength? Haven't noticed anything myself but was curious if there was additional risk of damaging these parts of the phone.
    03-02-2014 08:13 AM
101 12345