Hands On & Reviews

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
It seems that the theme of the professional reviews that I have read thus far is sort of a collective "It's OK... for a Windows Phone, but nothing special." I wonder if that is simply media bias or if the phone is really not quite as "iconic" as hoped? Figured we could get some observations and opinions and if you buy the phone... Of course a user experience.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

chrisdaboss

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
It seems that the theme of the professional reviews that I have read thus far is sort of a collective "It's OK... for a Windows Phone, but nothing special." I wonder if that is simply media bias or if the phone is really not quite as "iconic" as hoped? Figured we could get some observations and opinions and if you buy the phone... Of course a user experience.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Totally bias. They drink the iPhone's apple juice. They said that since the Icon's design is "uninspiring" that is a drawback. The iPhone looks the same every year and it's a perfect 10/10, revolutionary design. No competition. Best phone out on the market. With its patented round corners it is truly innovating. Everything else in the videos gives off the vibe of "This is the phone I need." The Icon is the Icon, but if it wasn't a Verizon exclusive it would be a competitor for the iPhone or GS4/5. The reviewers treat it like a baby. "oh, you're a cute one are you. Look how the jock iPhone and your Kevlar wearing friends are being treated." "How to make a phone better today, put a bigger screen on it". And then WP UI is up to the user if he/she likes it. True. Since this is the first Nokia Windows Phone to ditch the numbering system, it's a leader in Nokia's new marketing. The Icon for the future of Nokia Phones... Cannot wait for this phone. Goodbye Lagdroid.

30134799.jpg

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying the reviews from the usual suspects are basically like they are for pretty much every other WP ever released?

*clich? warning*

you-dont-say.png

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Every review I have read seems pretty impressed and complimentary of the phone. WP's "faults" as a UI (or call it the typical reviewer's lack of experience with it) are what they are.

I personally wish this phone was on AT&T and had been available when I got my 1520 in December. If that was the case and 8.1 was already out, I can only imagine how the reviews might change.

The introduction of a phone like this plus the 8.1 previews confirm that my switch to WP was the right one.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Reviews are not solely based on facts. Their opinions are different from yours, so I would ignore anything they say about the way it looks, camera quality, how it feels, etc. A great picture to them may be a horrible picture to you. If I were you, I would focus on facts, such as the specs. Keep in mind that these phone reviewers expect a lot from a device. A regular user is just looking for something that meets their needs.

Posted via the WPC App

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
There's really only been one review by Daniel who actually has used the for phone for weeks before its release. All this other stuff would be considered "sneak previews" and hardly what I would call a review worthy enough of dumping a few bills down for. I'm sure all you guys have never gone to a lousy movie... after being blown away by the trailer...

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with liking an OS and a phone because it fits your needs and lifestyle? I love my Window's Phone and understand the drawbacks it has compared to the two biggest OS's out there. I honestly hope WP is never "number one" but a stronger and more viable number three for those of us who don't want or need to be like everyone else.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
What's wrong with liking an OS and a phone because it fits your needs and lifestyle? I love my Window's Phone and understand the drawbacks it has compared to the two biggest OS's out there. I honestly hope WP is never "number one" but a stronger and more viable number three for those of us who don't want or need to be like everyone else.

Agreed!

Posted via the WPC App

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I just read this one.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nokias-lumia-icon-is-a-great-phone-for-windows-76540629354.html

The title frustrates me because of the typical "It's a great phone....for Windows" or "Its a great phone....if you like the Windows phone UI." And another read yesterday where the Pro's and Con's are "Great phone if you like the Windows UI." I get very annoyed at that because none of the iOS/Android reviews states "Great phone if you like iOS/Android." It's either a good phone or not.

With that said, the overall review I linked above does paint the Icon and WP in a good light. It's refreshing.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I just read this one.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nokias-lumia-icon-is-a-great-phone-for-windows-76540629354.html

The title frustrates me because of the typical "It's a great phone....for Windows" or "Its a great phone....if you like the Windows phone UI." And another read yesterday where the Pro's and Con's are "Great phone if you like the Windows UI." I get very annoyed at that because none of the iOS/Android reviews states "Great phone if you like iOS/Android." It's either a good phone or not.

With that said, the overall review I linked above does paint the Icon and WP in a good light. It's refreshing.

I like how they use the word "little" to describe the Icon. Really? This phone is far from "little".

Posted via the WPC App

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just read this one.

That was one of the best reviews I have read so far...and I think mentioning Windows in the title is probably necessary (and in this case not used as a negative). It only shows how far WP has come.

An iPhone uses iOS, 50 million other phones use Android, so the need to designate an article as being about a Windows phone is nothing more than helpful.

ImJustaBilly

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The early impressions of the phone have been mediocre or favorable, not because of the hardware, the design isn't bad, but most people expected striking colors from a Lumia, plus they're all heavier than the competition.

The camera is hit or miss, every journalist has their own criteria for what looks good.

It's really the OS that holds it back. Until the phone gets 8.1 with a notification center, quick settings, better multitasking management, separate volume controls and a more fleshed out search and voice recognition, the Lumia Icon will be anything but iconic.

Also keep in mind there hasn't been a lot of definitive reviews yet. I'd wait for Engadget, The Verge and other sites like Pocket Now to release their verdicts before judging the sea of opinions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb