Hands On & Reviews

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The Verge has always had a vendetta against Windows Phones. I even try to watch their podcasts and can barely last 5 minutes when they talk about anything Microsoft-related. They immediately laugh it off and judge everything before trying. And even when they do try to use a Microsoft product, they hold it to a different standard than every other comparable device.

Then they go and say we're all just whining fanboys as an excuse.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
From The Verge review
Call quality is utterly mediocre, as it was on the Lumia 928,

OK, if the complaints about the call quality are coming down to being compared to the 928 and being mediocre, then I think they're being pretty harsh. I'm pretty happy with my 928's mediocre call quality I guess.

Also, that Verge writer. Ugh. Seriously needs an editor. He thinks he's channeling Faulkner or Hemingway.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
They gave it a 5 on design? A 6 on reception/call quality?? Seriously? The NL1520 got an 8 on reception/call quality. You're telling me the phone on Verizon with an aluminum perimeter is worse?

You should try reading the review in detail. 5 is "just okay" on their rating scale. Assigning ratings is not a pick-and-choose matter of 'ok, aluminum, add 2 to the score...". A phone can be made out of solid titanium alloy with rhodium highlights and still look crappy. They also assigned the blame squarely where it belongs, praising Nokia's old designs as proof of their capabilities, and criticising Verizon for forcing Nokia to get something out that was crap looking (c.f. 820>822, 925>928 were also screwed up). This phone bears the "design by committee hallmark, wherein one is forced to be bland and uninspiring to get approval from many people even one of which may disagree with something genuinely eye catching and innovative.

Also, aluminum/metal is in general a bad idea for cellphones - plastic is radio-transparent, metal is not.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You should try reading the review in detail. 5 is "just okay" on their rating scale. Assigning ratings is not a pick-and-choose matter of 'ok, aluminum, add 2 to the score...". A phone can be made out of solid titanium alloy with rhodium highlights and still look crappy. They also assigned the blame squarely where it belongs, praising Nokia's old designs as proof of their capabilities, and criticising Verizon for forcing Nokia to get something out that was crap looking (c.f. 820>822, 925>928 were also screwed up). This phone bears the "design by committee hallmark, wherein one is forced to be bland and uninspiring to get approval from many people even one of which may disagree with something genuinely eye catching and innovative.

I think it looks great....and certainly better looking than any iPhone I've ever seen.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I've spent a fair amount of time with the Icon (about 4 days) and it's great. Best screen. Great feel. Its not too thick. Its not too heavy. It feels better in the hand than my iPhone 5S.

Ultimately it's all opinion but I think it's one if the best looking phones from any OEM.

Also, huge laugh at The Verge saying its bland compared to the iPhone and One. Its squared metal instead of round metal. Big whoop.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't understand all the negative stuff about the design of the phone. With the exception of all of the Verizon branding, I think the phone looks great, especially in white. I don't know what people expect. Maybe they are just upset they aren't getting the exact same design language as the non-Verizon models? All of these phones are rounded off bricks. The small things that make Nokias what they are are present in this phone as well.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
^ Like that guy. Pretty matter of fact comparing the two, yet puts in a nugget every now and then:

"Tramp Stamp"
"Smitten"

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
^ It's interesting that both in this review against the GS4 and against the iPhone5S, John said the Icon had superior call quality, both incoming and outgoing. Yet in their review on the Icon, TheVerge gave call quality a measly 6.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Thats the one thing I've noticed from every review of this phone. Theyre all different. One said that the battery is better than whats on the market and then the next person says its terrible. One says the camera is the second best on the market, another says its significantly worse than the 5s. I'd trust user reviews on this forum more than someone who can't even work WP8

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The fact that the only "Cons" are:
Uninspired design (I disagree)
Verizon-only
No global LTE roaming

I think there is a lot to be excited about. Really good review

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That review against the S4 was fairly good, though I think he was too wowed by the hand gesture feature. What good is it when you have to hover your finger over the target for nearly a second when you could just press the screen. I also noticed the blacks, and overall color saturation, looked better on the Icon. He said he was a little hard pressed to see the differences in the photos, which I agree with to some extent, but the details, such as the smaller text on the game/dvd cases was significantly better on the Icon. The S4's night shots were also severely pixelated. Some of his other minor quibbles will be fixed with WP 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb