Verizon Store Visit (Kind of funny)

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
So I stopped by a Verizon store today. I was hoping to get an idea what the white/black Icon looked like, even if it was just a display. I walked in and approached two salespeople (SP) sitting behind desks to one side of the store. Here is how the encounter went....

Me: Hi. Just wondering if you might have a Lumia Icon I could look at, even if just a display unit?

SP1: "What?"
SP2: "Never heard of it"

Me: "It's the new Nokia. Nokia Lumia Icon?"

SP1/SP2: Blank looks, shaking heads.

Me: "It had been called the 929 for a while?"

SP1: Never heard of it.
SP2: Nope.

Me: "You're supposed to be getting it on the 20th."

SP1: Looks in the system. Reads me off a recent article on the Icon. "According to Google....Lumia Icon, 20MP camera, quad core processors..."

Me: "It's the 5" version of At&T's 1520."

SP1: "Wow, the specs look pretty impressive on this thing
SP2: "What is it, a Windows Phone?"

Me: "Yes"

SP2: "Oh, then we probably won't get it. Nobody ever wants those big phones, and if they do, they want the Samsung S4. It's the best phone out there."

SP1: Still reading the specs, a bit excited. "Yes, according to the system it will be available on the 20th. But that doesn't mean we'll have any in store on that date"
SP2: Looks bored talking about a Windows Phone.

Me: "Ok. Thanks guys. I'll check back" Walks out.

SP1: Back to reading out the specs and talking to SP2 about them. Sounding excited from the little I catch.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar situation today in midtown Manhattan. I had to work out a billing issue and talked to one of the reps after I straightened that out. She had no clue.
I told them the Microsoft Store is taking orders. So she said to make sure the phone is supported on Verizon. I told her it's a Verizon exclusive! I walked out of the store shaking my head....

This is one of the main reasons why I like dealing with the Microsoft Store and not Verizon - situations like this!

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Haha this is just sad and awesome at the same time. I tried calling a local store yesterday and he had NO IDEA what I was talking about and said that they probably weren't going to ever sell it. I just laughed and hung up.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So I'm not the only one went to local store) At first they (2 SP) had no idea what I was talking about, then lady started talking about 928. And dude, I think he didn't know even about 928. When I said I'm using my 928 with T-Mobile sim, he was shocked and gave me that big eyes look. I showed him my phone and Verizons logo)) Anyway he checked something on PC then said they don't have 929. I got bored and left, maybe I'll go to MS store these days))

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Those reps are programmed to push ***** phones and android sbybot phones. Until the carriers incentivize them to push windows phone its going to continue to be an up hill battle. I was in a At&t store recently, someone came in and sais they wanted a windows phone. Less than 10 minutes later the sales rep (with the help of an in-store apple rep) had this person buying an iPhone

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's the reps, especially if you go to a franchise and not a corporate owned store. They all hire the lowest common denominator to do these sales. They give them little training and knowledge, and so these guys sell what they know, which is generally either Android or iPhone. They may bend to you, at least the good ones, but the bad ones will actually bad mouth other phones in front of you. It's really pathetic, to be honest. When I went in to have my 822 activated (needed a SIM - came from SIMless Pre 2), the corporate store I was in had well trained reps that listened to their customers needs and tried to guide them on the advantages of the Android, iOS, and WP. One guy was talking to a couple and he pretty much stated the lady's particular needs were best filled with an 822, while the guy would likely be happier with the S3.

The franchise stores are the worst. I may end up going to the MS "store" (really a kiosk in International Plaza in Tampa) to get an Icon when I'm ready to get it. I'd rather not run into one of the idiots that bash WP as I might lose it.

Last edited:

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I had a similarly hilarious time when I went in to an AT&T store recently. I wanted to use enroll in AT&T Next and get a 1520. The girl rep, from what I took of it all, thought of me as an idiotic teenager who knew nothing. She went into the back and got the device, to return with a box that's ripped and damaged, clearly not giving a **** and thinking I wouldn't care either. She then tried to convince me to get a Note 3 instead, because "nobody wants a Windows Phone". Was totally hilarious. I ended up not getting anything and calling the support line and giving them an earful about how poorly they train their staff. Can't wait 'til I'm 18 in June, gonna work at one of these places and be a non-biased hard worker ^-^

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds about right. The people that work at these stores are generally not tech people, unfortunately. Just people looking for a job. It's a shame, but oh well...

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Sounds about right. The people that work at these stores are generally not tech people, unfortunately. Just people looking for a job. It's a shame, but oh well...

Isn't that unfortunate though? I would think I'd want the person selling me a phone to know a thing or two about phones, not just be an Apple or Samsung drone.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I always buy online whenever possible. The incompetence at the brick and mortars is beyond my patience level. That goes for just about any product I buy these days, including cars. I still prefer to buy cars locally the old fashioned way despite knowing more about the cars I look at than the salesperson does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I stopped by the Verizon store today and asked about the Icon. The guy that helped me said, "I gotta admit, it's a very nice phone. " That was right after he stated that it didn't have very many apps, but that Windows phone had come a long way. They had some on display yesterday since the Nokia rep was there to show them the phone.

Posted via the WPC App

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Luckily I haven't had any truly bad experiences with Verizon and WP, but some of the workers at the local Verizon were saying "Lumina"...but none of them have tried to steer us away from a WP.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I stopped by the Verizon store today and asked about the Icon. The guy that helped me said, "I gotta admit, it's a very nice phone. " That was right after he stated that it didn't have very many apps, but that Windows phone had come a long way. They had some on display yesterday since the Nokia rep was there to show them the phone.

Posted via the WPC App

The whole app thing is really getting old. It's well past 200,000 now, and the majority of major apps is on there. Most of the time it's just some of the newest games and niche apps that are missing. I don't think that the app thing will be much of an excuse in about 6 months considering the growth we've seen in the last 6. It's kind of getting hard to ignore this platform, and WP 8.1 is going to make it harder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6