Lumia Icon or wait for a Verizon 1020?

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I do disagree with you on excluding other OEMs, though. By having other "name" OEMs onboard, there are doors opening that MS branded Lumias just won't crack alone. I think the Nokia adoption of WP saved the OS. Now that they are losing that name, an adjustment period is going to happen. I just see other manufacturers as vital during that period. Unfortunatly, the WP OS cannot sell handsets itself, and the Microsoft name is not consumer friendly yet either. Having these OEMs releasing new handsets will garner headlines in the countries and markets they are big, and also gives the impression to the "undecided" consumer that the WP OS is a viable alternative.
The other OEMs basically pay lip service to WP8. They're not serious, they don't put their best hardware under it, etc. And, as far as I know, there isn't a "Microsoft" branded phone coming out, at least not anytime soon.

MSFT needs to get mean again. If the OEMs aren't in it, F 'em.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
The other OEMs basically pay lip service to WP8. They're not serious, they don't put their best hardware under it, etc. And, as far as I know, there isn't a "Microsoft" branded phone coming out, at least not anytime soon.

Haha. Windows Phone isn't popular enough to act that way toward carriers. They don't need Windows Phone to survive, but WP needs the carriers to survive.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is outdated hardware. Has been since the beginning. The Icon is solid, late 2013 hardware and the camera should be excellent. If your a photographer I would suggest buying a camera. If you want a great phone and a great camera phone, the Icon is your only choice. No one looking at your photos is going to care if it's the 1020 or the Icon, they are simply going to think your photos look "a lot better than their phone."

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just did it for my wife and daughter. If you have an upgrade you can join without trading Ing your current phone. If you got your current phone before November 14, 2013, you have trade in a phone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If the Icon was available on my carrier (Bell Mobility, Canada) I would snap it up in a heartbeat! However, Bell has never carried a Nokia smartphone. I think it has to do with when Nokia was bypassing the carriers by selling their devices directly to the consumer... But with MS producing the hardware now, I actually have a shot at picking up the subsidized device that I WANT, instead of having to settle for my second choice. Don't get me wrong: I love my Ativ S. But I wanted the 920.

SURFACE PHONE FTW!!!!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Actually, Samsung put in a solid effort on the Ativ S... (building it at least; promoting it, not so much) Same hardware specs as their current Android flagship, with a different design and a bigger battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99