Lumia Icon or wait for a Verizon 1020?

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I have been waiting on the 1020 to come out and wondering if the Icon is the closest thing we will ever get to the 1020 on Verizon.

How big a difference is it between the 1020 and the Icon? Should I just get the Icon now? my upgrades on July (4 months from now)

Really want it for the camera. Have an HTC 8x now.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is a better all-around phone. I say take the Icon. It has a camera that is almost as good as the 1020, but without the compromises a 1020 would have.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
If you need the absolute best camera get the 1020 but as an overall package, the icon is a much much better phone

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ummm...you really can't say the 1020's camera is better.

41MP's does not necessarily beat 20MP's. I really wish people would stop assuming that.....it's just silly.

I'm not saying it's not better.....it might be, but it's certainly not due to the megapixels.

The lens and just as (if not more) important the sensor are FAR more significant than the number of megapixels.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 has an incredible camera for a phone. The Icon also has a great camera (from what I've heard) and the differences may not be that noticeable in normal situations, but the 1020 does a stellar job in the dark and with less noise and such, but is it worth waiting for if your contract is already up? Probably not. But if you want to wait, then you can. I'm sure Verizon won't be getting the 1020, but the 1020 successor, potentially. Depends on how things go now that Microsoft is at the helm of Nokia's devices business.

If you're looking for a really good WP camera on Verizon, the Icon is probably your best bet right now. I'm a huge camera-enthusiast and for phones, it looks like the Icon is what I'll be getting, since my contract is up and I'm due for an upgrade. But if your contract isn't up and you are able to wait, it may be worthwhile to get the 1020 successor on Verizon in the Fall if such a thing ever happens. It's always hard to tell with Verizon. AT&T is easy to guess when new WP are coming, but Verizon is up in the air.

However, both phones appear to have great cameras. Better than the average phone. I can't speak on behalf of the Icon yet, but the 1020 takes amazing phones. Although it's a bit slow because of how massive the photos are. So if you're looking to quickfire, it may not be the best unless you're using burst mode. 20 MP might be a little quicker, but according to reviews, it's still not so fast compared to other phones. But then again, other phones don't have as many MP.

I'm probably just rambling. I'm thinking out loud. Hopefully this helps.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Ummm...you really can't say the 1020's camera is better.

41MP's does not necessarily beat 20MP's. I really wish people would stop assuming that.....it's just silly.

I'm not saying it's not better.....it might be, but it's certainly not due to the megapixels.

The lens and just as (if not more) important the sensor are FAR more significant than the number of megapixels.

Noone here mentioned megapixels? The sensor on the 1020 is huge. Its just an overall better camera.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Since you're not upgrading until July, revisit this decision then. In my opinion the Icon is worth having now if you're on Verizon. I would be surprised if Verizon released anything else before the Fall.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
They're offering early upgrades on the Verizon edge plans I guess I'm tempted.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
They're offering early upgrades on the Verizon edge plans I guess I'm tempted.

Early upgrade as long as you have paid at least 50% of your phone and then you have to trade it in to get the new one.

Posted via the WPC App

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Is there even a rumor of a L1020 on Big Red? I sure haven't heard any such talk. Since that was the question in the thread and you said nothing about moving to AT&T, I don't see this as much of a debate. There is no L1020, so take the Icon. This thing will be a fantastic phone. It's camera is equal to the L1520, and that camera has recieved rave reviews.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is getting a 1020? Where did you read that?

No one in this thread claimed one is coming. The op was just hoping that it might come. Either way it is a moot point. I'm 99.99% sure the 1020 will never come to Verizon. Maybe a successor if we are lucky.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The way Verizon operates I'd say it's gonna be a while before they release another phone. That's why I'm contemplating either leaving Verizon or getting the Icon myself.

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Early upgrade as long as you have paid at least 50% of your phone and then you have to trade it in to get the new one.

Posted via the WPC App
I think there was news that Verizon is letting you drop your old non edge contract and plan and get a new phone and contract this month if you switch to an edge plan

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I think there was news that Verizon is letting you drop your old non edge contract and plan and get a new phone and contract this month if you switch to an edge plan

Yup that's what they are offering.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
No one in this thread claimed one is coming. The op was just hoping that it might come. Either way it is a moot point. I'm 99.99% sure the 1020 will never come to Verizon. Maybe a successor if we are lucky.

That was sarcasm on my part. I didn't think it needed to be fact checked as it was that obvious...at least to me.:)

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Last night I was at a party with my wife. People were taking photos with their phones. I pulled out my wife's 920 and took a bunch at the same time. Today, everyone shared their photos. The 920 absolutely killed the other phones (mostly Android). They kept asking my wife what camera she was using. When they heard that it was her phone, they wanted one ("I want that phone, the 920"). Fortunately I had talked to my wife about the Nokia Icon a few days ago, so she told them to get it instead of the 920.

I hope that MSFT continues the excellent photo capability of the Nokia phones. I think that there's a huge opportunity for WP to gain marketshare. People have been impressed with the texting, internet, location, and limited photo capability in smartphones. Now that the hyper-growth phase of smartphones is slowing, people will be more demanding of the photo capabilities in the future. It will be an important differentiator.

Note: Now that MSFT owns Nokia I wish MSFT would take WP proprietary. Forget trying to get other OEMs involved. With fewer hardware targets to deal with they can optimize the hell out of the code. That'll result in better power consumption, better performance, better integration of hardware innovations, etc. I think it'll help with carrier approval of updates, too.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Last night I was at a party with my wife. People were taking photos with their phones. I pulled out my wife's 920 and took a bunch at the same time. Today, everyone shared their photos. The 920 absolutely killed the other phones (mostly Android). They kept asking my wife what camera she was using. When they heard that it was her phone, they wanted one ("I want that phone, the 920"). Fortunately I had talked to my wife about the Nokia Icon a few days ago, so she told them to get it instead of the 920.

I hope that MSFT continues the excellent photo capability of the Nokia phones. I think that there's a huge opportunity for WP to gain marketshare. People have been impressed with the texting, internet, location, and limited photo capability in smartphones. Now that the hyper-growth phase of smartphones is slowing, people will be more demanding of the photo capabilities in the future. It will be an important differentiator.

Note: Now that MSFT owns Nokia I wish MSFT would take WP proprietary. Forget trying to get other OEMs involved. With fewer hardware targets to deal with they can optimize the hell out of the code. That'll result in better power consumption, better performance, better integration of hardware innovations, etc. I think it'll help with carrier approval of updates, too.

I agree with your call for killer photo abilities to continue. If MS continues on this path after the purchase of Nokia and they control it, the loss of the Nokia name can be absorbed. I truly belive camera quality is among the top three reasons people buy smartphones, with Social network intergration and multi-media as the other two.

I do disagree with you on excluding other OEMs, though. By having other "name" OEMs onboard, there are doors opening that MS branded Lumias just won't crack alone. I think the Nokia adoption of WP saved the OS. Now that they are losing that name, an adjustment period is going to happen. I just see other manufacturers as vital during that period. Unfortunatly, the WP OS cannot sell handsets itself, and the Microsoft name is not consumer friendly yet either. Having these OEMs releasing new handsets will garner headlines in the countries and markets they are big, and also gives the impression to the "undecided" consumer that the WP OS is a viable alternative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786