Verizon Intentionally Crippled The Lumia Icon Just As They Did To the Lumia 928

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
The Icon is an amazing piece of smartphone hardware technology there's no denying that, clearly with the processor, battery and screen; Nokia intends to market this device as a multimedia do-it-all juggernaut for VZW WP users. Which leads to the question: Why forego micro SD support? (Its cousin the 1520 has SD support) I currently have a Lumia 928 (with same internal storage size as Icon) and between apps (primarily the large file size Xbox branded games), my music collection and 'other' I've eaten up well over half of my phone's internal storage space. I had to delete some maps and unused apps just to keep ample amounts of space free. Nokia is crippling an otherwise amazing phone by doing this. No one ever mentions how quick gigs disappear with extensive amounts of media on your phone.

The SkyDrive (OneDrive) is excellent for all my pictures, docs and ppts, but in locations where the Wifi isnt available or sucks(like at my college) I am forced to use the VZW Network and my very limited 2 gigs of data. It's simply not practical or affordable to run apps/games/music via the network, yet I wouldn't be surprised if OneDrive gets updated to support apps and games in the hopes people will buy larger and more expensive data plans from Verizon or get pinned with overage charges. Nokia easily could have fit in a Micro SD slot in the Icon and L928 (as proven by their design cousin counterparts at AT&T and T-Mobile), clearly someone ahem VZW had a say on the final design of the Icon and that saddens this shackled VZW customer. DAMN You VZW!!! I could have a red L928 with a micro SD in it and be reading about the Icon also having micro SD if it wasn't the infamous 'anal' Verizon management practices.

Surely I'm not the only VZW user bothered by my carrier??? Anyone care to chime in on this?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've always suspected Verizon's infrastructure isn't nearly as adapt at all things "smart phone" as we are lead to believe. Its not just Windows Phone they modify to be compatible with its systems. Its not much different in that regard than is Sprints crappy network. The only network that appears to be the most extensible is AT&T.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The Icon is an amazing piece of smartphone hardware technology there's no denying that, clearly with the processor, battery and screen; Nokia intends to market this device as a multimedia do-it-all juggernaut for VZW WP users. Which leads to the question: Why forego micro SD support? (Its cousin the 1520 has SD support) I currently have a Lumia 928 (with same internal storage size as Icon) and between apps (primarily the large file size Xbox branded games), my music collection and 'other' I've eaten up well over half of my phone's internal storage space. I had to delete some maps and unused apps just to keep ample amounts of space free. Nokia is crippling an otherwise amazing phone by doing this. No one ever mentions how quick gigs disappear with extensive amounts of media on your phone.

The SkyDrive (OneDrive) is excellent for all my pictures, docs and ppts, but in locations where the Wifi isnt available or sucks(like at my college) I am forced to use the VZW Network and my very limited 2 gigs of data. It's simply not practical or affordable to run apps/games/music via the network, yet I wouldn't be surprised if OneDrive gets updated to support apps and games in the hopes people will buy larger and more expensive data plans from Verizon or get pinned with overage charges. Nokia easily could have fit in a Micro SD slot in the Icon and L928 (as proven by their design cousin counterparts at AT&T and T-Mobile), clearly someone ahem VZW had a say on the final design of the Icon and that saddens this shackled VZW customer. DAMN You VZW!!! I could have a red L928 with a micro SD in it and be reading about the Icon also having micro SD if it wasn't the infamous 'anal' Verizon management practices.

Surely I'm not the only VZW user bothered by my carrier??? Anyone care to chime in on this?

If WP is to compete in the US they have to win over Verizon. Lets see the performance of the NL Icon straight out of Verizon in the upcoming months. If it does well it will flood t-mobile and AT&T.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Of course having an SD card would be nice, but for many of us a 32 GB phone is fine. I think the actual intentional crippling of a phone was AT&T removing Qi wireless charging on everyone's 'beloved' 1520.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

It's because of everything they put into the phone, there just wasn't enough room for a microSD slot. Sorry. :/

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Nokia easily could have fit in a Micro SD slot in the Icon and L928 (as proven by their design cousin counterparts at AT&T and T-Mobile).

I completely agree with the idea that I think that my 928 and the Icon should have micro SD and colors, however, I don't see any evidence that other carriers are doing better. None of the 92x devices have Micro SD slots. Not even the 1020 has Micro SD expansion which is even worse considering how much space a 35 megapixel RAW photo takes up. 925 is also devoid of color. 925 on AT&T is only 16 GB. 1520 on AT&T doesn't have wireless charging. As much as I hate the situation Verizon isn't really any worse than the others. They all suck and WP isn't popular enough for Microsoft or Nokia to make a lot of demands to the carriers.

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with the idea that I think that my 928 and the Icon should have micro SD and colors, however, I don't see any evidence that other carriers are doing better. None of the 92x devices have Micro SD slots. Not even the 1020 has Micro SD expansion which is even worse considering how much space a 35 megapixel RAW photo takes up. 925 is also devoid of color. 925 on AT&T is only 16 GB. 1520 on AT&T doesn't have wireless charging. As much as I hate the situation Verizon isn't really any worse than the others. They all suck and WP isn't popular enough for Microsoft or Nokia to make a lot of demands to the carriers.

1520, 920 and 925 all have Micro SD slots. And I'm pretty sure even the 520 or 820 has it as well, this is mostly a VZW phenomenon not Nokia or WP.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
1520, 920 and 925 all have Micro SD slots. And I'm pretty sure even the 520 or 820 has it as well, this is mostly a VZW phenomenon not Nokia or WP.

I have had my 920 for over a year, haven't found the SD card slot yet. Don't think it has one.

You will never know if Nokia didn't put one in or Verizon had them take it out. No way to find out.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I know the MicroSD people always hate to hear this, but quite frankly it is barely used and only a request from a tiny fraction of customers. The reason that low end phones tend to have it is because they include a paltry amount of base storage essentially necessitating the customer pay for storage themselves via MicroSD. When I was internal to MS I believe the figure was about 6% of users who had a SD slot actually populated it, and a significant number of them never ended up saving anything of it. That may not jive to your anecdotal experiences, but the vast majority of smartphone users, especially now, are not the power users that many of you and your friends are.

I don't oppose MicroSD, mind you. But I absolutely understand why they do not want to add the cost of a feature that almost no one actually uses. That is unfair to the rest of the users paying for a feature that seldom used.

The same thing goes for removable batteries, at the risk of getting myself yelled at by a second vocal minority. ;)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

use your consumer dollars to vote. its easy, and you're gratified within minutes/hours instead of waiting years for a company to finally get it.

rculver9056

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 920 for over a year, haven't found the SD card slot yet. Don't think it has one.

You will never know if Nokia didn't put one in or Verizon had them take it out. No way to find out.

I'm in th UK with a 920, and I've never found this elusive slot either...lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss