Verizon Intentionally Crippled The Lumia Icon Just As They Did To the Lumia 928

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
HEY!!!! At least you have QI Wireless charging!!!

Said the guy who left VZW for ATT and now knows that ALL the carriers screw you over somehow, some way, every day.

Still LOVE my 1520, but miss the wireless charging I had on my 928.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
8GB will hold an average of 2000 songs, or 133 hours, or 5.54 days, of music. The fact that the Lumias also come with Nokia's excellent, and free, Nokia Music, can compensate further if you don't feel you can store enough songs. I have been watching my data use to see if I could live in the 1GB window, and Nokia Music is very frugal with the data and still maintains excellent audio quality. I stream about an hour everyday and still managed to not use up 1GB (I'm unlimited now, but that will change when I get the Icon, likely sometime late March). If you have a 32GB device, you can use half the memory for songs, and not hear the same song over the course of 10 full days, more likely about 50 days for average listening time.

What's the problem again?

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had to delete purchased games as a result of maxing out my 32 gb of onboard storage. I have all of my iTunes music, pictures, offline maps and probably a dozen games on my 928. I need either an SD slot or 64 gb onboard ( or both ).

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
While very unfortunate, I suspect this might not necessarily be Verizon's fault.

Nokia stated they didn't include MicroSD in the 920x series and the 1020 because it would've required moving a bunch of internal parts around and ruining the design. So, at least in the high end Lumias, Nokia feels that design triumphs functionality (I.E: Apple).

Of course, it's also entirely possible Verizon is responsible. But as unfortunate as it is, 32GB isn't nearly as cramped as say, 16GB. I personally think 32GB is more than enough for my Lumia 1020, even with those large photo file sizes. But I suppose everyone's needs are different...

So sorry, but Verizon of Nokia's fault, the fact of the matter is that this phone doesn't have MicroSD. It's still an incredible device, however, and I certainly envy it in many ways. So buy it or pass, there's no MicroSD: the past is in the past.

Also, as an aside: While OneDrive might support app backup soon, but it certainly won't support being used to store apps. Trying to stream apps from the cloud?! That'd be laborious on your phone, the OneDrive servers and Internet connections... So backup? Yes. Playing apps from OneDrive? Hell no.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
First world problems.

I've eaten up well over half of my phone's internal storage space.
Considering the 928 is two year old technology I'd say that's pretty good. Then you still have about 12-15Gb left? So what's the problem?

It is not uncommon for a phone to come out with 32Gb of storage and no SD option. The same storage capacity option for the iSheep is $300 on contract. Be thankful that you have common sense.

Nokia is crippling an otherwise amazing phone by doing this. No one ever mentions how quick gigs disappear with extensive amounts of media on your phone.
Why do people think this is Nokia's fault? Verizon specifically ordered this phone. Putting in an option for SD isn't always up to the manufacturer. The carriers have a lot to do with what phones have. This is why some global variants have different specs. Verizon ordered the Icon. They probably told Nokia/MS to not put in an SD slot. Carriers benefit from cloud storage use because it increases data usage. Money $. And MS/Apple/Google want you use cloud $torage.

The SkyDrive (OneDrive) is excellent for all my pictures, docs and ppts, but in locations where the Wifi isnt available or sucks(like at my college) I am forced to use the VZW Network and my very limited 2 gigs of data.
Park at a McDonald's, connect to wifi and sync? Sync pics and docs via hardware on your tablet/computer?

Surely I'm not the only VZW user bothered by my carrier??? Anyone care to chime in on this?
VZ is a turd, no doubt. Qi wireless and grandfathered unlimited data is the only reason I'm still with Verizon. If the 1520 had Qi I would have been gone already. AT&T service in my reason is as good as VZ so there's no real reason to stay.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
1520, 920 and 925 all have Micro SD slots. And I'm pretty sure even the 520 or 820 has it as well, this is mostly a VZW phenomenon not Nokia or WP.

The 920 and 925 don't have microSD slots... However, all the mid range WP8 devices do.

@JBConforti - You're right about the 1520 being the first FLAGSHIP WP8 device to have a microSD slot, though not the first to have one in general.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You mean having a device that contains the entirety of mankind's knowledge and art is crippled because you can't store more selfies?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
You want to talk about Verizon crippling their Windows Phones? At least the Icon will have group messaging from the get-go...

Well, it should since the 822, 928, 8X, and Odyssey all have it.

I think it was a mistake not including a microSD slot. 32GB internal and 64GB microSD would have been amazing. And I would imagine more people use a microSD card in their phone than wireless charging.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
HEY!!!! At least you have QI Wireless charging!!!

Said the guy who left VZW for ATT and now knows that ALL the carriers screw you over somehow, some way, every day.

Still LOVE my 1520, but miss the wireless charging I had on my 928.

*thunderous applause*

Even the wonderful "pay-as-you-go" carriers have their ways. Pros/cons, goods/bads, ups/downs, gives/takes. Pretty much life in the tech age.

I do have to admit- once you figured out long distance charges, it sure was easier to contrast the strengths and weaknesses back when phones just hung on the wall.....

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
If it behaves anything like the SD slot on my Lumia 810 did, I don't want it back. The memory cut on the Lumia 925 was tough at first, but I'm making due and there are no issues at all with it. My 810's card went corrupt about every 2-3 weeks... Resulting in new card, new phone new this new that... It was just a mess... I'll keep the lower memory and enjoy the device more. I understand about your 2GB limit, but that's also where you pay more to get better coverage and more data. If not, grab a 1520 and unlock it and move to T-Mobile where you can have Unlimited Data for $85 a month.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget the 820. I bought a 820 over a 920 because it has a SD slot. It has the same processor as the 9XX series and the same 1gig of memory. When 8.1 comes out and they enable apps on SD cards my decision is going to look awfull good. I got a 64GB SD card for it the day I got it. I like the 925 alot; but 16GB of memory and no SD slot is a deal breaker big time. I put everything I can on the SD card and I have over 45 apps on my internal memory and still have 4.6GB free memory; plus I never have trouble with OTHER STORAGE, it never gets over 480MB. Used right the SD card is worth having in every phone. Ask Samsung.

Last edited:

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure; but I think every Samsung phone has a SD slot. Maybe that is "One" of the reasons they sell more phones than ANYONE.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure; but I think every Samsung phone has a SD slot. Maybe that is "One" of the reasons they sell more phones than ANYONE.

I cannot imagine that the SD card has much to do with the sales. In a forum like this, there is naturally a lot of discussion of details that many phone users do not care about. We obsess over phone details that others don't care about, which will of course affect our shopping.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is an amazing piece of smartphone hardware technology there's no denying that, clearly with the processor, battery and screen; Nokia intends to market this device as a multimedia do-it-all juggernaut for VZW WP users. Which leads to the question: Why forego micro SD support? (Its cousin the 1520 has SD support) I currently have a Lumia 928 (with same internal storage size as Icon) and between apps (primarily the large file size Xbox branded games), my music collection and 'other' I've eaten up well over half of my phone's internal storage space. I had to delete some maps and unused apps just to keep ample amounts of space free. Nokia is crippling an otherwise amazing phone by doing this. No one ever mentions how quick gigs disappear with extensive amounts of media on your phone.

The SkyDrive (OneDrive) is excellent for all my pictures, docs and ppts, but in locations where the Wifi isnt available or sucks(like at my college) I am forced to use the VZW Network and my very limited 2 gigs of data. It's simply not practical or affordable to run apps/games/music via the network, yet I wouldn't be surprised if OneDrive gets updated to support apps and games in the hopes people will buy larger and more expensive data plans from Verizon or get pinned with overage charges. Nokia easily could have fit in a Micro SD slot in the Icon and L928 (as proven by their design cousin counterparts at AT&T and T-Mobile), clearly someone ahem VZW had a say on the final design of the Icon and that saddens this shackled VZW customer. DAMN You VZW!!! I could have a red L928 with a micro SD in it and be reading about the Icon also having micro SD if it wasn't the infamous 'anal' Verizon management practices.

Surely I'm not the only VZW user bothered by my carrier??? Anyone care to chime in on this?

...so it is a great phone that can do all sorts of things but it is intentionally crippled because it lacks one thing you want. That is an interesting bit of logic. BTW, so is the idea that you had to delete things to keep "ample amounts of space free." For what exactly do you think the space it intended? Do people think it is there so you can admire the free space?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99