Verizon Intentionally Crippled The Lumia Icon Just As They Did To the Lumia 928

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Unlimited data is the reason for VZ for life.

But you can't upgrade your phones anymore. You're stuck paying super high service prices as well as full price for the phone. At least with ATT grandfathered unlimited plans, you can still use upgrades. Verizon sucks. Period.

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I know the MicroSD people always hate to hear this, but quite frankly it is barely used and only a request from a tiny fraction of customers. The reason that low end phones tend to have it is because they include a paltry amount of base storage essentially necessitating the customer pay for storage themselves via MicroSD. When I was internal to MS I believe the figure was about 6% of users who had a SD slot actually populated it, and a significant number of them never ended up saving anything of it. That may not jive to your anecdotal experiences, but the vast majority of smartphone users, especially now, are not the power users that many of you and your friends are.

I don't oppose MicroSD, mind you. But I absolutely understand why they do not want to add the cost of a feature that almost no one actually uses. That is unfair to the rest of the users paying for a feature that seldom used.

The same thing goes for removable batteries, at the risk of getting myself yelled at by a second vocal minority. ;)

Judging by the sales of handsets with micro SD's in the Android platform I wouldn't say people who ask for micro SD support are the 'minority'

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Judging by the sales of handsets with micro SD's in the Android platform I wouldn't say people who ask for micro SD support are the 'minority'

You are making the rather large leap that the microSD slot is the reason for those sales. I could just as easily point at the iPhone as evidence that nobody wants microSD at all since the entire iPhone market lacks it yet sells phenomenally well.

Its an issue for some people. For the vast majority it is not. Like I said, I've seen stats on its actual usage, and hardly anyone uses it.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You are making the rather large leap that the microSD slot is the reason for those sales. I could just as easily point at the iPhone as evidence that nobody wants microSD at all since the entire iPhone market lacks it yet sells phenomenally well.

Its an issue for some people. For the vast majority it is not. Like I said, I've seen stats on its actual usage, and hardly anyone uses it.

Also, there are support reasons for not having an SD slot. Customers will and complain that their uncle's SD card from 5 years ago with a bit of peanut butter stain doesn't work. No slot, no support issues.

What's more annoying to me is the lack of Glance and double-tap-to-wake. I've disabled both on my 928 just to experience the difference, and it's really annoying. Sorry for the threadjack

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
But you can't upgrade your phones anymore. You're stuck paying super high service prices as well as full price for the phone. At least with ATT grandfathered unlimited plans, you can still use upgrades. Verizon sucks. Period.

Verizon doesn't suck, period. They have the best coverage in the US.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have had to delete purchased games as a result of maxing out my 32 gb of onboard storage. I have all of my iTunes music, pictures, offline maps and probably a dozen games on my 928. I need either an SD slot or 64 gb onboard ( or both ).
I would venture to guess that you can't park in your garage because of all the unused stuff that you have accumulated but just can't bear to part with.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Apparently you've haven't seen the file sizes of some of these games and apps as well as my music library which is close to 1500 songs on my L928. 32 gigs doesn't go far anymore especially not with these 500+ MB Xbox branded app games

Buy an Xbox and a TV... Better for gaming and saves all the stress about storage. You can stream music, almost anything your heart desires, for like $9.99 per month on several different services and you can't blame a phone manufacturer because you choose not to, or are unable to, obtain a data plan that supports your lifestyle. Seriously. Storage is a non-issue. If you must... Simply find a Starbucks and stream away for free.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Buy an Xbox and a TV... Better for gaming and saves all the stress about storage. You can stream music, almost anything your heart desires, for like $9.99 per month on several different services and you can't blame a phone manufacturer because you choose not to, or are unable to, obtain a data plan that supports your lifestyle. Seriously. Storage is a non-issue. If you must... Simply find a Starbucks and stream away for free.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

I just come back to "This may not be the phone for you. If lots of primary storage and additional removable storage are your primary thing, then get a phone that has those. The Icon is a damn good phone that unfortunately for you does not have the one thing you find most important. Fortunately, other phones, even WP phones, do have that feature."

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Its cases like this which makes me fearful of MS takeover of Nokia.

America you are evil and have poor design taste. Exception being the A12 oooh mama

Verizon makes Lumias look like blocks and then cuts out the good bits because it might affect their bottom line.

MS will probably do some similar kowtow BS to its US carriers and screw the rest of world market with ugly phones and specs based on politics.

They gonna kill Nokia phones, cut their losses and sell to Lenovo in 3 years.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Its cases like this which makes me fearful of MS takeover of Nokia.

America you are evil and have poor design taste. Exception being the A12 oooh mama

Verizon makes Lumias look like blocks and then cuts out the good bits because it might affect their bottom line.

MS will probably do some similar kowtow BS to its US carriers and screw the rest of world market with ugly phones and specs based on politics.

They gonna kill Nokia phones, cut their losses and sell to Lenovo in 3 years.

I think the Icon looks awesome. It also exudes quality when held. I don't think they really cut out any good bits. I mean, a micro SD card slot would have been awesome, but that's really my only complaint.

mdlive

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If WP is to compete in the US they have to win over Verizon. Lets see the performance of the NL Icon straight out of Verizon in the upcoming months. If it does well it will flood t-mobile and AT&T.

To me, it looks like Verizon has completely given up on WP. Just a few days ago I took my wife in to our local Verizon store for her upgrade expecting to see a big display highlighting the brand new Icon. No such displays were to be found. And by no displays, I mean NO DISPLAYS. FO WINDOWS PHONE. PERIOD. I had to walk around the entire store in order to find the Icon. They had it tucked in a little out-of-the-way corner next to the moto-x. I couldn't believe it! The Icon is a beautiful phone. I left Android for the 928 just after it came out, and I haven't looked back since. I really hope that WP can survive at Verizon.

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd hardly say that Verizon intentionally crippled the Icon. Maybe they didn't want the SD card, or even just didn't specify. at&t is considerably worse when they outright made Nokia stop putting Qi charging in their phones after they arbitrarily joined the competing PMA group.

Lol, you're talking about a telecomm who, back in feature phone days, disabled Motorola's built in Bluetooth filer transfer so they could charge you to move pictures off the phone... charge you per picture.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans