03-06-2014 09:55 PM
74 123
tools
  1. Washed Up Former Child Actor's Avatar
    The Icon is an amazing piece of smartphone hardware technology there's no denying that, clearly with the processor, battery and screen; Nokia intends to market this device as a multimedia do-it-all juggernaut for VZW WP users. Which leads to the question: Why forego micro SD support? (Its cousin the 1520 has SD support) I currently have a Lumia 928 (with same internal storage size as Icon) and between apps (primarily the large file size Xbox branded games), my music collection and 'other' I've eaten up well over half of my phone's internal storage space. I had to delete some maps and unused apps just to keep ample amounts of space free. Nokia is crippling an otherwise amazing phone by doing this. No one ever mentions how quick gigs disappear with extensive amounts of media on your phone.

The SkyDrive (OneDrive) is excellent for all my pictures, docs and ppts, but in locations where the Wifi isnt available or sucks(like at my college) I am forced to use the VZW Network and my very limited 2 gigs of data. It's simply not practical or affordable to run apps/games/music via the network, yet I wouldn't be surprised if OneDrive gets updated to support apps and games in the hopes people will buy larger and more expensive data plans from Verizon or get pinned with overage charges. Nokia easily could have fit in a Micro SD slot in the Icon and L928 (as proven by their design cousin counterparts at AT&T and T-Mobile), clearly someone ahem VZW had a say on the final design of the Icon and that saddens this shackled VZW customer. DAMN You VZW!!! I could have a red L928 with a micro SD in it and be reading about the Icon also having micro SD if it wasn't the infamous 'anal' Verizon management practices.

Surely I'm not the only VZW user bothered by my carrier??? Anyone care to chime in on this?
    k0de, John20212, DavidinCT and 2 others like this.
    02-16-2014 06:42 PM
    I've always suspected Verizon's infrastructure isn't nearly as adapt at all things "smart phone" as we are lead to believe. Its not just Windows Phone they modify to be compatible with its systems. Its not much different in that regard than is Sprints crappy network. The only network that appears to be the most extensible is AT&T.
    02-16-2014 07:01 PM
    I still have unlimited data, so ...
    Bartdog, WPmunkey and Ted#WP like this.
    02-16-2014 09:02 PM
    The Icon is an amazing piece of smartphone hardware technology there's no denying that, clearly with the processor, battery and screen; Nokia intends to market this device as a multimedia do-it-all juggernaut for VZW WP users. Which leads to the question: Why forego micro SD support? (Its cousin the 1520 has SD support) I currently have a Lumia 928 (with same internal storage size as Icon) and between apps (primarily the large file size Xbox branded games), my music collection and 'other' I've eaten up well over half of my phone's internal storage space. I had to delete some maps and unused apps just to keep ample amounts of space free. Nokia is crippling an otherwise amazing phone by doing this. No one ever mentions how quick gigs disappear with extensive amounts of media on your phone.

The SkyDrive (OneDrive) is excellent for all my pictures, docs and ppts, but in locations where the Wifi isnt available or sucks(like at my college) I am forced to use the VZW Network and my very limited 2 gigs of data. It's simply not practical or affordable to run apps/games/music via the network, yet I wouldn't be surprised if OneDrive gets updated to support apps and games in the hopes people will buy larger and more expensive data plans from Verizon or get pinned with overage charges. Nokia easily could have fit in a Micro SD slot in the Icon and L928 (as proven by their design cousin counterparts at AT&T and T-Mobile), clearly someone ahem VZW had a say on the final design of the Icon and that saddens this shackled VZW customer. DAMN You VZW!!! I could have a red L928 with a micro SD in it and be reading about the Icon also having micro SD if it wasn't the infamous 'anal' Verizon management practices.

Surely I'm not the only VZW user bothered by my carrier??? Anyone care to chime in on this?
    If WP is to compete in the US they have to win over Verizon. Lets see the performance of the NL Icon straight out of Verizon in the upcoming months. If it does well it will flood t-mobile and AT&T.
    02-16-2014 09:15 PM
    Of course having an SD card would be nice, but for many of us a 32 GB phone is fine. I think the actual intentional crippling of a phone was AT&T removing Qi wireless charging on everyone's 'beloved' 1520.
    02-16-2014 09:16 PM
    Who are we to say whether or not there is room in the phone? How much do we really know about phone design.
    02-16-2014 09:18 PM

It's because of everything they put into the phone, there just wasn't enough room for a microSD slot. Sorry. :/
    02-16-2014 09:19 PM
    Also wasn't the 1520 the first/only WP phone with microsd support?
    02-16-2014 09:30 PM
    Nokia easily could have fit in a Micro SD slot in the Icon and L928 (as proven by their design cousin counterparts at AT&T and T-Mobile).
    I completely agree with the idea that I think that my 928 and the Icon should have micro SD and colors, however, I don't see any evidence that other carriers are doing better. None of the 92x devices have Micro SD slots. Not even the 1020 has Micro SD expansion which is even worse considering how much space a 35 megapixel RAW photo takes up. 925 is also devoid of color. 925 on AT&T is only 16 GB. 1520 on AT&T doesn't have wireless charging. As much as I hate the situation Verizon isn't really any worse than the others. They all suck and WP isn't popular enough for Microsoft or Nokia to make a lot of demands to the carriers.
    02-16-2014 09:36 PM
    520 521 720....
    02-16-2014 10:52 PM
  11. Washed Up Former Child Actor's Avatar
    I completely agree with the idea that I think that my 928 and the Icon should have micro SD and colors, however, I don't see any evidence that other carriers are doing better. None of the 92x devices have Micro SD slots. Not even the 1020 has Micro SD expansion which is even worse considering how much space a 35 megapixel RAW photo takes up. 925 is also devoid of color. 925 on AT&T is only 16 GB. 1520 on AT&T doesn't have wireless charging. As much as I hate the situation Verizon isn't really any worse than the others. They all suck and WP isn't popular enough for Microsoft or Nokia to make a lot of demands to the carriers.
    1520, 920 and 925 all have Micro SD slots. And I'm pretty sure even the 520 or 820 has it as well, this is mostly a VZW phenomenon not Nokia or WP.
    02-16-2014 11:20 PM
  12. Washed Up Former Child Actor's Avatar
    It's because of everything they put into the phone, there just wasn't enough room for a microSD slot. Sorry. :/
    That's simply not true, they have plenty of room they just chose not to, they even manage to fit them on their much smaller and cheaper 500's, so the real estate excuse can be thrown out
    DavidinCT likes this.
    02-16-2014 11:23 PM
    The Lumia 822 on Verizon has SD support...
    Elephant2000 and NoRomBasic like this.
    02-16-2014 11:33 PM
    1520, 920 and 925 all have Micro SD slots. And I'm pretty sure even the 520 or 820 has it as well, this is mostly a VZW phenomenon not Nokia or WP.
    I have had my 920 for over a year, haven't found the SD card slot yet. Don't think it has one.

You will never know if Nokia didn't put one in or Verizon had them take it out. No way to find out.
    kb4000 and Ian Too like this.
    02-16-2014 11:56 PM
    I have had my 920 for over a year, haven't found the SD card slot yet. Don't think it has one.

You will never know if Nokia didn't put one in or Verizon had them take it out. No way to find out.
    Lmao neither does the 925. That dudes drunk!
    02-17-2014 12:15 AM
    I know the MicroSD people always hate to hear this, but quite frankly it is barely used and only a request from a tiny fraction of customers. The reason that low end phones tend to have it is because they include a paltry amount of base storage essentially necessitating the customer pay for storage themselves via MicroSD. When I was internal to MS I believe the figure was about 6% of users who had a SD slot actually populated it, and a significant number of them never ended up saving anything of it. That may not jive to your anecdotal experiences, but the vast majority of smartphone users, especially now, are not the power users that many of you and your friends are.

I don't oppose MicroSD, mind you. But I absolutely understand why they do not want to add the cost of a feature that almost no one actually uses. That is unfair to the rest of the users paying for a feature that seldom used.

The same thing goes for removable batteries, at the risk of getting myself yelled at by a second vocal minority. ;)
    02-17-2014 01:39 AM
    I do prefer microSD to Qi charging, but I rather have both. And in this day in age, for non removeable storage, it needs to be 64GB.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    02-17-2014 01:50 AM
    According to the Nokia website the SD slot can be found on the 520, 525, 620, 625, 720, 820, 1320 & 1520. The listings 920, 925 and 1020 all lack SD card support.
    kb4000 likes this.
    02-17-2014 01:58 AM

use your consumer dollars to vote. its easy, and you're gratified within minutes/hours instead of waiting years for a company to finally get it.
    02-17-2014 03:32 AM

I'm in th UK with a 920, and I've never found this elusive slot either...lol
    kb4000 likes this.
    02-17-2014 04:28 AM
    HEY!!!! At least you have QI Wireless charging!!!

Said the guy who left VZW for ATT and now knows that ALL the carriers screw you over somehow, some way, every day.

Still LOVE my 1520, but miss the wireless charging I had on my 928.
    kb4000, snowmutt and Tjarren like this.
    02-17-2014 05:03 AM
    8GB will hold an average of 2000 songs, or 133 hours, or 5.54 days, of music. The fact that the Lumias also come with Nokia's excellent, and free, Nokia Music, can compensate further if you don't feel you can store enough songs. I have been watching my data use to see if I could live in the 1GB window, and Nokia Music is very frugal with the data and still maintains excellent audio quality. I stream about an hour everyday and still managed to not use up 1GB (I'm unlimited now, but that will change when I get the Icon, likely sometime late March). If you have a 32GB device, you can use half the memory for songs, and not hear the same song over the course of 10 full days, more likely about 50 days for average listening time.

What's the problem again?
    02-17-2014 05:09 AM
    I have had to delete purchased games as a result of maxing out my 32 gb of onboard storage. I have all of my iTunes music, pictures, offline maps and probably a dozen games on my 928. I need either an SD slot or 64 gb onboard ( or both ).
    02-17-2014 05:39 AM
    While very unfortunate, I suspect this might not necessarily be Verizon's fault.

Nokia stated they didn't include MicroSD in the 920x series and the 1020 because it would've required moving a bunch of internal parts around and ruining the design. So, at least in the high end Lumias, Nokia feels that design triumphs functionality (I.E: Apple).

Of course, it's also entirely possible Verizon is responsible. But as unfortunate as it is, 32GB isn't nearly as cramped as say, 16GB. I personally think 32GB is more than enough for my Lumia 1020, even with those large photo file sizes. But I suppose everyone's needs are different...

So sorry, but Verizon of Nokia's fault, the fact of the matter is that this phone doesn't have MicroSD. It's still an incredible device, however, and I certainly envy it in many ways. So buy it or pass, there's no MicroSD: the past is in the past.

Also, as an aside: While OneDrive might support app backup soon, but it certainly won't support being used to store apps. Trying to stream apps from the cloud?! That'd be laborious on your phone, the OneDrive servers and Internet connections... So backup? Yes. Playing apps from OneDrive? Hell no.
    kb4000 likes this.
    02-17-2014 05:50 AM
    First world problems.

I've eaten up well over half of my phone's internal storage space.
    Considering the 928 is two year old technology I'd say that's pretty good. Then you still have about 12-15Gb left? So what's the problem?

It is not uncommon for a phone to come out with 32Gb of storage and no SD option. The same storage capacity option for the iSheep is $300 on contract. Be thankful that you have common sense.

Nokia is crippling an otherwise amazing phone by doing this. No one ever mentions how quick gigs disappear with extensive amounts of media on your phone.
    Why do people think this is Nokia's fault? Verizon specifically ordered this phone. Putting in an option for SD isn't always up to the manufacturer. The carriers have a lot to do with what phones have. This is why some global variants have different specs. Verizon ordered the Icon. They probably told Nokia/MS to not put in an SD slot. Carriers benefit from cloud storage use because it increases data usage. Money $. And MS/Apple/Google want you use cloud $torage.

The SkyDrive (OneDrive) is excellent for all my pictures, docs and ppts, but in locations where the Wifi isnt available or sucks(like at my college) I am forced to use the VZW Network and my very limited 2 gigs of data.
    Park at a McDonald's, connect to wifi and sync? Sync pics and docs via hardware on your tablet/computer?

VZ is a turd, no doubt. Qi wireless and grandfathered unlimited data is the only reason I'm still with Verizon. If the 1520 had Qi I would have been gone already. AT&T service in my reason is as good as VZ so there's no real reason to stay.
    02-17-2014 06:57 AM
74 123