IPhone 5S to Lumia icon

Mister_Burris

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I have been an iPhone user ever since it first was released on Verizon. I am highly considering making the switch from the iPhone 5 to the Lumia Icon on Thursday. The Icon intrigues the heck out of me with battery performance, WP OS, the camera, wireless charging etc. I picked up a Surface RT in the fall of 2013 but I will honestly say I still use to my iPad more because I just haven't taken the time to find the best apps and such for it. I use my phone quite a bit. I work in social media so Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter support are all needed and a must. I also need Snapchat and Vine as well. I have heard great things about 6Tag, 6Sec, and 6Snap. Is there a stock note taking application. I use the notes app quite app making drafts for social media posts and also to store quotes, music I hear, and just random things I want to jot down.

A high majority of my friends are iPhone users. I think iMessage is incredible. We tend to do a lot of group messaging and basically have a year long thread filled with emoji, pics, videos, etc. What will I be losing there making the switch? Can you see iPhone emoji? I FaceTime with my lady often who also uses iPhone. Is Skype my best option or are there better third party apps?

I originally thought iTunes would be a big issue but I have been thinking about switching for awhile. I have become a subscriber to Beats Music and Spotify. Any other suggestions? I have a huge hip hop fan. Other there any apps streaming mixtapes?

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
So. tl;dr, stick to the iPhone. Why? Most of the social apps you mention are not available in their first-party (i.e. official ones). The unofficial apps you mention are indeed great, however you live with the risk that they may anyday be pulled from the store by the trademark owners. This happened recently with 6tindr, though the firm came to an agreement with the developer later. Likewise, though we have an official Facebook app, it is not capable of some things that the iOS and Android apps are capable of doing.

There is no equivalent of iMessage, unless you consider Whatsapp and similar things. Your friends will not be able to iMessage you and I've heard of normal group chats acting weird. Similarly for Facetime, though as you said Skype is an alternative. I say that there are no equivalents because iMessage and Facetime are baked into the core OS and work seamlessly, with just the phone number of your contact, without needing a separate ID for those services.

Hope this helps.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I think you should give the Icon a shot! WP will meet your requirements. There are emojiis in the messages app. The app situation is fine. Pinterest just updated their mobile site. It works a lot better now. More official apps are on the way.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For your needs, the iPhone suits you best. You will grow frustrated with the Lumia Icon unless there's a massive influx of first-party apps over a very short period of time.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The Windows mobile app for PC actually takes all of your music from your itunes and can import it to your Windows phone, one of my favorite features.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Before you switch, turn off imessage on your iPhone and wait 10 minutes before you switch SIMs or else your text messages will still go to your iPhone for a couple days

outlaw_d

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I felt like Phone Arena's comparison with the iP5s was pretty fair. Everything he reviewed was up to speed, or better, than the iP5s. His only argument was that Apple's App Store is far more mature, which is true. Given Apple's 3-4 year head start on mobile apps, you'd expect them to have more. But every day, Windows apps are catching up!

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I felt like Phone Arena's comparison with the iP5s was pretty fair. Everything he reviewed was up to speed, or better, than the iP5s. His only argument was that Apple's App Store is far more mature, which is true. Given Apple's 3-4 year head start on mobile apps, you'd expect them to have more. But every day, Windows apps are catching up!

Yet no mention of wireless charging, FM Radio, more mature mapping....

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Stick with the iPhone. I switched from my 4s to the 928 in October, and while I loved it at first, but the newness wore off and I'm anxiously waiting the release of the iPhone 6. None of my friends would get skype to facetime with me, so it's been very lonely 5 months..

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Well sounds like the Iphone fits more your work need in respect to imessage, having said that if you still want to try the icon i say the restocking fee would be a small inconvenience to see how it would work in you work life.

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have been an iPhone user ever since it first was released on Verizon. I am highly considering making the switch from the iPhone 5 to the Lumia Icon on Thursday. The Icon intrigues the heck out of me with battery performance, WP OS, the camera, wireless charging etc. I picked up a Surface RT in the fall of 2013 but I will honestly say I still use to my iPad more because I just haven't taken the time to find the best apps and such for it. I use my phone quite a bit. I work in social media so Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter support are all needed and a must. I also need Snapchat and Vine as well. I have heard great things about 6Tag, 6Sec, and 6Snap. Is there a stock note taking application. I use the notes app quite app making drafts for social media posts and also to store quotes, music I hear, and just random things I want to jot down.

A high majority of my friends are iPhone users. I think iMessage is incredible. We tend to do a lot of group messaging and basically have a year long thread filled with emoji, pics, videos, etc. What will I be losing there making the switch? Can you see iPhone emoji? I FaceTime with my lady often who also uses iPhone. Is Skype my best option or are there better third party apps?

I originally thought iTunes would be a big issue but I have been thinking about switching for awhile. I have become a subscriber to Beats Music and Spotify. Any other suggestions? I have a huge hip hop fan. Other there any apps streaming mixtapes?

Cool that you are interested in WP. I am interested, too but the one thing that worries me every time that I think of making the switch to WP are the Apps..

To answer a quick ? about emoji.. you can still see most of them. My friend has WP and emojis work.

You said that you are a Spotify and Beats music subscriber? I wish the options were better on WP but I am sorry to say that the Spotify App has not been updated in months and doesn't work well at all. Also, Beats music hasn't gotten the best reviews in the App Store.

Spotify | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) - July 12, 2013 last update

Beats Music | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) - ratings aren't the best

The quality of apps really needs to be better on Windows Phone. It makes me upset that most things in the app store are mediocre. The official apps might "be" in the app store but that does not mean they are good and have the features people want.

Good luck on your decision. I'm hoping the app situation gets much better and companies will actually care about the apps they make for WP. Sorry for the rant... I think I'm just upset that WP is so behind and people don't seem to care about it. I like the UI and would like to try out a WP and MSFT but the apps are holding me back... Also 8.1 is coming out soon I think that should improve a lot of things!! Maybe finally make WP a little more visible and attractive.

Mister_Burris

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone that replied. I think I may give the Icon a try. Fortunately there is nothing wrong with my iPhone so i could always switch if things don't seem to work out.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If core Apple apps like facetime and iMessage are crucial, then obviously Apple has you trapped and no option be it Android or WP are for you. WP does have group messaging, but you dont get read receipts like with iMessage.

Some apps aren't there, like very obscure ones mostly. The main popular apps like instagram, vine, reddit clients, RSS readers, etc. are all there. I also dont get what the beef is with the Facebook app on WP? What do you need FB to do more than browse the news feed, message, browse events or what-not? I don't get it.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I felt like Phone Arena's comparison with the iP5s was pretty fair.
No, it wasn't. Just take the comparisons with the camera. After mentioning the 20MP purview lens with the Icon, John states "not to be outdone, the iPhone packs an 8MP camera with blah blah blah....." The iPhone does not out-do the Icon (already tested in the 1520) in regard to optics, processing, or flash. John rarely gives objective reviews.

stephen_victor

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Burris, your use case sounds like you should stick with iPhone then. iMessage is a deal breaker for many, but honestly, I push for people to use Facebook Messenger since it's accessible on the big 3. GroupMe is another option but I only know a few people who use that app religiously. And your iPals aren't going to switch to that just for you!

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there a stock note taking application. I use the notes app quite app making drafts for social media posts and also to store quotes, music I hear, and just random things I want to jot down.

I also have an iphone for work and use the Notes app. When I got a personal Windows Phone I was combing the store for a good note taking app and couldn't find one I liked. Then I realized, duh, OneNote is there out of the box. It's great for taking notes, taking audio recordings and syncs to skydrive so you can view all your notes and recordings on a normal computer too.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So was all about to buy (2) of these, one for myself, and one for my wife - we are both coming off of Android phone contracts (I have Galaxy Nexus, and she has Droid Incredible 2) with unlimited data - She has decided to get an Iphone, and go on her work plan - she just didn't want the huge phone, she doesn't really use apps, and I can no longer recommend anyone get an Android Phone - Ive seen too many of them crap out, and lag, and just generally run like a complete piece of crap. She wanted a good camera, which I think we can all agree the iphone has - apps made no difference to her, all she uses it for is camera, phone, sms, and sometimes to play music, so pretty much any smartphone would have worked for her. Whats funny, is I was a complete apple hater for a while (in my droid ****** days) - now ive come full circle, frustrated to no end with android, and not willing to buy into the apple ecosystem (note - my wife is not tech savvy, will not do anything other than make calls, text and use the camera). The deciding factor was the lack of any information any Verizon person could give. The fact that the retail stores here in Manhattan have no idea if they are getting the phone, never have heard of it, and cannot answer any questions. I call the Microsoft store, and they know the exact day, that they are stocking both white and black, they will offer free wireless charging, etc. She didn't want to deal with not going to Verizon store, and she didn't need the unlimited data (she literally uses less than 1gb a month).

Either way, long story short, im counting one less WP user because of Verizon's epic failure. Microsoft really needs to push the platform more, they need to get people in the busiest stores, to show off the benefits, and compare to other phones. Enough of the youtube clips, get physical people in stores, and show people why they should use WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)