11-17-2016 08:57 PM
458 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Well, I was mistaken on my router. I have the Linksys E3200 and no new firmware is out there. I did make some changes to my wifi setting on the 5Ghz band to see if that corrects it. I don't know if this phone connects through that or the 2.4Ghz band. I didn't get a chance to test it out by going outside but I will this evening. If not Tomato makes a custom firmware for this router and i might give that a try.
    They will show up as two different available networks. Ones probably linksys10 and the other would be linksys10-5GHZ or something along those lines. As long as the 5GHZ is turned on.

I still haven't updated my firmware cause I or somebody in my house are constantly doing something over WiFi. Nobodies home right now, so I might remote in and try it, but I'm afraid if something goes wrong I won't be able to fix it
    03-06-2014 09:58 AM
    The back cover of my Icon seems to be a little loose, when I press it down, it moves a little bit. Other than that, I haven't seen any bugs / defects in the phone itself.
    03-06-2014 10:06 AM
    They will show up as two different available networks. Ones probably linksys10 and the other would be linksys10-5GHZ or something along those lines. As long as the 5GHZ is turned on.

I still haven't updated my firmware cause I or somebody in my house are constantly doing something over WiFi. Nobodies home right now, so I might remote in and try it, but I'm afraid if something goes wrong I won't be able to fix it
    What do mean? If I use the Tomato custom I will have two different available networks? Because having the dual bands only shows up as one network currently, it depends on the device connecting. I was questioning whether the Icon uses the 2.4 or 5Ghz band to connect to wifi?
    03-06-2014 10:30 AM
    It supports both.
    Kieta likes this.
    03-06-2014 10:52 AM
    I have never seen them broadcasted as the same network. Now I'm not much of a router guru so I could be wrong...
    03-06-2014 12:02 PM
    What do mean? If I use the Tomato custom I will have two different available networks? Because having the dual bands only shows up as one network currently, it depends on the device connecting. I was questioning whether the Icon uses the 2.4 or 5Ghz band to connect to wifi?
    Like Berty said, whatever you list as the SSID, the router will broadcast two networks, SSID and SSID-5GHZ, and you connect to which ever one you want. The 5GHZ can typically push more data, but has a smaller range.
    03-06-2014 12:53 PM
    Like Berty said, whatever you list as the SSID, the router will broadcast two networks, SSID and SSID-5GHZ, and you connect to which ever one you want. The 5GHZ can typically push more data, but has a smaller range.
    That's weird. Cause this is my second dual band router and only one SSID is broadcast. Both are enabled in the router and have always been. Matter of fact there is only one field to name the SSID in the settings and then options on how you want to set up each band below it; channel, mixed, etc.

Edit: I will certainly be looking again when I get home cause maybe there is an option to broadcast the 5Ghz and its not enabled.
    03-06-2014 12:57 PM
    Just saw this in the manual for my router:

By default, your dual-band router uses the same network name on both the
    2 .4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band . If you are connecting to your router with
    a computer that has a dual-band wireless network adapter, you might not be
    able to determine which band you’re using . The easiest way to segment your
    traffic is to rename one of your wireless networks . With a separate, descriptive
    name, it will be easy to connect to the right network.

So looks like it's something I would have to enable. Thanks!
    03-06-2014 01:05 PM
    They will show up as two different available networks. Ones probably linksys10 and the other would be linksys10-5GHZ or something along those lines.
    Not necessarily. Many wireless routers come with the same network name on each by default. I always recommend changing them so you know for sure which one you are on.
    03-06-2014 01:10 PM
    Not necessarily. Many wireless routers come with the same network name on each by default. I always recommend changing them so you know for sure which one you are on.
    Yes but I was correct in saying that they are two separate broadcasts. Like you said make sure of which one you are connected to, and its best to rename them. If you are looking for the 5ghz, make sure it is broadcasting and make sure it is not hidden. (or leave it hidden and just manually connect to it)
    03-06-2014 01:20 PM
    The only issue I have with the icon is the rear speaker. If I lay the phone down on its back, I can barely hear the speaker or it becomes really muffled. If the icon is in my belt pouch I can't hear the ringer or feel the vibration.
    03-06-2014 04:39 PM
    I think this is a bug. Can't change the volume while listening to podcasts. It just stays at whatever volume was used last. Doesn't matter which podcast.

If play some mp3s, the volume can change, but when I go back to play a podcast, the volume does not change (but the volume number does show as increasing/decreasing).
    I have this issue with any media. Volume numbers will adjust, but not if anything is playing. I have to stop and restart (pausing doesn't work, either) to get the volume to actually change once I've adjusted it.

Minor bug. I just have to remember to check volume in public before I play anything for fear of broadcasting my YouTube video across the office or something (at least until Nokia releases an update).
    03-07-2014 12:23 AM
    Thank you ! I hope your right , I really want to love this phone.
    03-07-2014 08:21 AM
    I have this issue with any media. Volume numbers will adjust, but not if anything is playing. I have to stop and restart (pausing doesn't work, either) to get the volume to actually change once I've adjusted it.

Minor bug. I just have to remember to check volume in public before I play anything for fear of broadcasting my YouTube video across the office or something (at least until Nokia releases an update).
    Probably not a great idea to be watching YouTube videos at the office anyway!!
    03-07-2014 08:30 AM
    I had an odd issue and I don't know if it's exclusive to the Icon, or a WP or app issue. I recently installed Skype and linked it to my Microsoft account and noticed significant rapid battery drain. After messing around I noticed when I was in Settings/Email and Accounts my Microsoft account was syncing every 2-3 seconds!! I deleted Skype and the problem went away. I don't really use the app, just wanted to mess around with it. It's not a big deal to me, but thought it an odd enough issue to mention it here.

Apologize if this is old news.
    03-07-2014 11:22 AM
    Just wanted to report that I did have both named the same when I set up the router. I don't do much with routers but name the network and secure it. But I named both the same, so I changed the 5ghz to reflect that and then brought up my wifi on the phone. It was connected to the 2.4ghz so I jumped onto the 5ghz. Haven't had a chance to test it outside yet but I'm sure I will this weekend. I normally get the no connection after the phone has been sitting for a while and then I grab it and go outside. I do have it set to stay connected when phone times out so I'll see if this cures my problem. I sure hope so. I already have to get a new modem to comply with Comcast and the 3.0 upgrade so they can quit bugging me, hopefully I won't have to buy a router as well.
    03-07-2014 02:26 PM
    Anyone have problems with random restarts?

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
    chrisdaboss likes this.
    03-07-2014 05:19 PM
    03-07-2014 05:19 PM
    I have not had any problems with random restarts. Actually, I've had my Icon for a week now and have had zero problems.
    03-07-2014 05:29 PM
    Ya, its been almost two weeks for me and it was running perfect and except for a few random restarts, it still is.

03-08-2014 10:35 AM
    I've had a few random restarts. I was thi king maybe something was auto updating.
    03-08-2014 01:14 PM
    I can't believe no one is mentioning this but do any of you notice how loud the rattle is from the image stabilization camera when you tap the phone, specifically on the sides?? I tried many icons at the store and they all had this problem. It doesn't bother any of you???
    felickz likes this.
    03-08-2014 09:40 PM
    Has anyone noticed the loud rattle from the image stabilization of the camera? You gotta tap the phone on the sides near the top
    03-08-2014 09:53 PM
    Sorry for the long delay in reporting my news. Got a new modem and new dual band router. The problem still persists. It also seems to be getting worse, now also happening when on data and the screen is timed out for a period of time. After sitting with the screen timed-out for a few hours, I made a phone call in my car and immediately was flooded with notifications- email, facebook, etc., all at once.

I have contacted Verizon (again). The first time I did, the tech said they would send a new phone and he never did. Called again and should have a new (like new, used actually) replacement Monday or Tuesday. Will update again once I know if the new one is working. Sad thing is, this isn't a huge deal in that it doesn't impact my life too much. But I don't like spending a lot of money on something brand new and having it not work the way it is supposed to. But if I can't get it fixed, I still love the phone otherwise.
    felickz likes this.
    03-08-2014 11:56 PM
    Sorry for the long delay in reporting my news. Got a new modem and new dual band router. The problem still persists. It also seems to be getting worse, now also happening when on data and the screen is timed out for a period of time. After sitting with the screen timed-out for a few hours, I made a phone call in my car and immediately was flooded with notifications- email, facebook, etc., all at once.

I have contacted Verizon (again). The first time I did, the tech said they would send a new phone and he never did. Called again and should have a new (like new, used actually) replacement Monday or Tuesday. Will update again once I know if the new one is working. Sad thing is, this isn't a huge deal in that it doesn't impact my life too much. But I don't like spending a lot of money on something brand new and having it not work the way it is supposed to. But if I can't get it fixed, I still love the phone otherwise.

sorry to hear the issue wasn't resolved for you. Good luck with the replacement.
    03-09-2014 01:28 AM
458 ... 89101112 ...