Nokia Lumia Icon Bugs and Defects

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
WOW, I think I noticed another bug/issue. Unrelated to my above one. My volume seems to change on its own. I have it set at 25/30. I notice it changes to 13/30 whenever I reboot the phone. Does it everytime. Anyone know what the logic is behind this action. If I forget to change it back after a reboot I can miss calls. Guess MS thinks we never will need/want to reboot? Maybe reverting to some default setting?

Pretty sure that is just the nature of the OS. It will default the volume to 13/30 whenever you reboot the phone. It does this on my Lumia 928 and it also did it on my HTC Trophy with WP 7.8

The logic behind it? Probably so that when you reboot the phone and you start to play music (with headphones), your eardrums won't explode. 25/30 is a bit high on the volume scale. And yes, I think MS believes you won't need to reboot often. The only times I've needed a reboot is to update the OS or if something glitches (which is rare).

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have found that the purplish ghosting effect happens only with auto brightness on and in a dark room. With auto on it will make the brightness even lower than the manual setting low when in a dark room. But if I set my phone to low my screen gets brighter and it goes away. The ghostly effect also appears to be only visible on darker colored backgrounds with white text. Not a big deal for me since it only happens in that specific situation. Wonder if anyone else can recreate this?

It's the ghosts of glance screen and double tap to wake trying to haunt you!! kidding.

Maybe it has to do with the nature of the screen? If you have a Verizon or Microsoft Store nearby, you can compare the phones there with yours. I have seen on Nokia devices that the auto brightness causes the screen to dim a lot more than when you use the low on manual settings.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
There's definitely something up with the WiFi on this phone. It seems like it's software-related, so at least there's hope that it will get fixed (hopefully soon). Overall, I couldn't be happier with the phone!

I believe so as well. On my 928 when I went outside around my house I had no problem with WiFi connection on my router, sometimes I would have to turn Wifi off and back to get a good connection. But my Icon doesn't seem nearly as strong as my 928 and although it connects to my WifI outside the house there are no bars and get any data unless I turn off WiFi, then all of a sudden it will work with 1-2 bars. It sounds like something that can be fixed in a software update but I do plan on sending Nokia an email about it once I have used it more and have a better feel of how often it does it. Other than that the phone has been rock solid and the screen is so gorgeous!

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any wifi problems on my device. So it's been fantastic the whole time I've had it both on my house WiFi and my work WiFi.

How about distance? Would you say it has the same signal strength as your previous phone? Last night I was sitting in the car in the driveway with the wife. Her phone had two bars on our wifi. Mine connected but with no bars. I turned wifi on and off on the phone with the same results and then a couple of minutes later it had two bars and I was good to go. My 928 seemed to have a stronger signal strength.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
How about distance? Would you say it has the same signal strength as your previous phone? Last night I was sitting in the car in the driveway with the wife. Her phone had two bars on our wifi. Mine connected but with no bars. I turned wifi on and off on the phone with the same results and then a couple of minutes later it had two bars and I was good to go. My 928 seemed to have a stronger signal strength.

My office is on the opposite side of the office from the company router. Here are the results from my Lenovo laptop connected to wireless compared to my Icon sitting on the charging stand right next to my laptop. Seems like the Icon's got some fantastic WiFi connection.

Lenovo Laptop
Lenovo.png

Icon
Icon.png

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, it could also be the structure of my house as I've had previous tablets that depending on which wall outside I was near would determine my signal strength. I can't test it at work as the wifi is encrypted for work flow only (silly gov) So I have to step outside our suite to use the buildings free wifi. Gonna go test that. But thanks again.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
On a new router and will be giving it more time to see how it does.

So its been most of a day on the new router and its been good. I haven't suffered any delays in email like I had before. So I'm under the assumption that it was my old router and that the exchange of my old phone was unnecessary and a waste of my time.

Last edited:

Steve Walden

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Icon on the first day it was available. It was my first phone on Verizon. I was moving from the 1020 on att which I loved. I can honestly say that I just about hate the Lumia Icon. Why you ask? Well, the phone itself is GREAT. The call quality is great, the batter life is decent, the screen is beautiful BUT, being on Verizon the call experience IS HORRIBLE!!! What do I mean? Well, in the past, on att and on the last 4 Lumia devices I have owned, if I am on a call and a second call comes in, I had several options which were "Answer, Ignore, Text reply, End+asnwer (which ended my current call and answered the incoming call). The End+answer button does not exist on the Verizon network. Wait, let me rephrase that, it does not exist on Windows Phone on Verizon because it DOES exist on the iPhone on Verizon and the Galaxy phones on Verizon but NOT on the Windows phone. Okay so, having said that, it get's worse. Let's say I tell call A to hold on a second while I answer call B. I hit answer, it puts call A on hold and takes me to call B. When I am done with call B, I hit end call and it ENDS BOTH CALLS. Then I just wait about 7 seconds and call A automatically calls me back. Of course it is very confusing for the person I just hung up on because their phone just starts ringing, as if they had just called me. FRUSTRATING!! Now, let's say I am on call A and Call B comes in and I want to take call B and let call A go. I tell call A, "hey I gotta take this call, I will talk to you later" and then hit ANSWER CALL to take call B. Even though call A has hung up, my phone still appears to show call A as being on hold! If I "Tap to swap" back to call A, the screen changes to show the name and number of call A but I am still talking to call B! It is mind numbing!! After extensive research, I have found that this issue seems to be specific to Verizon and seems to exist in ALL THEIR WINDOWS PHONES!!! My friend has the same issue on his 928 and 822 all ON VERIZON!

As if the above was not enough to make you want to pull your hair out, the Lumia Icon DOES NOT SUPPORT GLANCE!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? The new FLAGSHIP phone with top of the line specs CAN"T DO GLANCE!!! Even the 920 can do glance! When I contacted Nokia about why the Icon can't do glance, here is their response:

"We understand your disappointment with the support for Nokia Glance in Nokia Lumia Icon. In response to this, after checking the technical specifications of the said device model, we would like to inform you that Nokia Glance and double tap to wake are both unsupported due to display memory limitations."

Display memory limitations? WTF? The Windows phone experience is poorly represented on Verizon and I would go back to att in a heartbeat except for the fact that my company requires me to be on their Verizon plan. Verizon needs to get their act together on their Windows Phones ASAP or I am going to Droid!!

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Yellow keys seems to be luck of the draw. My first 928 had white keys out of the box. My second, after the speaker went out on the first, is still yellow almost a year later. New Icon is yellow out of the box. Just seems to be a weak light or too much glue obstructing the LED. Not a big deal.

Only things I've noticed on my Icon are the battery will rarely if ever show as full. Always a slight sliver off the max after fully charging and the meter doesn't accurately reflect the rate of discharge. No problem lasting all day though. Last issue is the signal strength. I live practically under a Verizon tower. Every Verizon phone I've owned has been 5 bars strong here. This Icon usually stays at 3 bars sometimes bumps to 4. Yet, this phone has crisp clear calls in my places my Note 2 and HTC One couldn't even dial out.

All in all, I love my phone. Battery and signal displays might be a bit wonky but it still performs better than any other phone I've owned.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if this is a bug, but on lowest brightness the screen definitely has a reddish tint. I vaguely recall reading that red uses the least power on AMOLED displays, so might actually be a feature. Is this the norm for all your devices?

lmnopotts

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Calendar Issue

I've noticed when I pull the Calendar back to view a month, all items listed are in Spanish. When I zoom in to the day, they're back in English.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Calendar Issue

I've noticed when I pull the Calendar back to view a month, all items listed are in Spanish. When I zoom in to the day, they're back in English.

I have that same thing. I was wondering if it was intentional because the writing is so small in month mode that I couldn't read it anyway. I thought perhaps it was just so we could see that there is something on that day. But I don't know if it is a bug or not.

anon(8503161)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

I have that same thing. I was wondering if it was intentional because the writing is so small in month mode that I couldn't read it anyway. I thought perhaps it was just so we could see that there is something on that day. But I don't know if it is a bug or not.

I have this too. How strange.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Same here. The script is so small I needed a magnifying glass to confirm. Its no wonder I never noticed it previously.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

are you sure it's Spanish? I believe in WP7 it was either gibberish or Latin (or gibberish in Latin?).

I need to look at my 928 closer...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo