Nokia Lumia Icon Bugs and Defects

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Wireless networking seems inconsistent. I move through a number of wireless networks at work and it doesn't seem as seamless as my 822. I haven't done any real testing but I find myself manually making connections too often.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think the fix will be in the form of a software patch. But I did just recently upgrade my router to the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and it is a fricken joy!!

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
good luck. The replacement device didn't solve my issue but maybe you will be luckier than I. I ended up with a new router to fix my issue since it worked fine with their mifi

at the store.

Seeing you and some others suggest this, I have my isp coming tomorrow to switch me from a router/modem combo to two separate units in hopes that it fixes the issue. New phone will also be here tomorrow, but I will try the old one on the new wifi setup before switching phones. Will update with results.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Seeing you and some others suggest this, I have my isp coming tomorrow to switch me from a router/modem combo to two separate units in hopes that it fixes the issue. New phone will also be here tomorrow, but I will try the old one on the new wifi setup before switching phones. Will update with results.

best of luck and please report back and let us know.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'll bet all of your wireless devices work better once you move to a separate router. The router/wifi/modem combo that the ISP's install (in my case uverse) absolutely suck for wifi and the range is horrible. The faster you can setup the modem as a bridge and have your own router the better.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'll bet all of your wireless devices work better once you move to a separate router. The router/wifi/modem combo that the ISP's install (in my case uverse) absolutely suck for wifi and the range is horrible. The faster you can setup the modem as a bridge and have your own router the better.

Absolutely true. TWC rented me the Motorola SBG6580 cable modem and wireless router combo, and it was awful. I ended up purchasing my own Motorola SB6141 cable modem and ASUS RT-N66U router and have been much happier with the configuration.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Upgrading your home internet router/modem isn't going to do anything. I've just upgraded mine to one of the best you can get and I'm experiencing issues there as well other networks I'm used to using (for instance at school). I sometimes need to turn WiFi off then back on for it to start working again. Definitely a phone issue, just hoping it is software and not hardware.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Upgrading your home internet router/modem isn't going to do anything. I've just upgraded mine to one of the best you can get and I'm experiencing issues there as well other networks I'm used to using (for instance at school). I sometimes need to turn WiFi off then back on for it to start working again. Definitely a phone issue, just hoping it is software and not hardware.

Not sure it's a phone issue. I use 4 wireless networks regularly; Home (ISP (FiOS) router + Netgear N900 for wireless), Work (not sure, but 802.11g), Girlfriend (ISP (Comcast supplied router+wireless) 802.11g, and off-site location (D-Link N150 (802.11n). Each one uses WPA and my Icon connects to each just fine. At home, I have dual band and connect to the 5 GHz channel, all others are 2.4 GHz. That's a pretty wide mix and I haven't had a single wifi issue, yet..

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not sure it's a phone issue. I use 4 wireless networks regularly; Home (ISP (FiOS) router + Netgear N900 for wireless), Work (not sure, but 802.11g), Girlfriend (ISP (Comcast supplied router+wireless) 802.11g, and off-site location (D-Link N150 (802.11n). Each one uses WPA and my Icon connects to each just fine. At home, I have dual band and connect to the 5 GHz channel, all others are 2.4 GHz. That's a pretty wide mix and I haven't had a single wifi issue, yet..

Its not so much that it doesn't connect, mine connects and works fine. But after about an hour or so it says its connected and all good, but does not actually pull anything that is online.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Its not so much that it doesn't connect, mine connects and works fine. But after about an hour or so it says its connected and all good, but does not actually pull anything that is online.

That's what I mean by no wifi issues. I am always connected and able to download. After an hour, 2 hours, 10 minutes, doesn't matter. I get into range of the signal, I auto connect and when I need it, I have online access.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I would say mine has to do more with my wireless router than my phone because my 928 and Icon do the same thing where I can't get anything at times until I turn off wifi and turn it back on (on the phone). Then the wifi connection comes back. I believe I have a Linksys E2500 so I will update to the latest firmware to see if that cures it. If both phones are using the same internal wifi adapter it would explain my problem.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I just purchased the Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900. I think it does have a firmware update that I have not done yet, but it doesn't explain why on my old router or school WiFi my 928 was fine buy my Icon is not. IDK, ill do the firmware update tonight and see what it does...

mikelectrick

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
so I can't find a complaint about this anywhere I can't be the only one ! Here's my problem :
This brings up a huge draw back to this phone, when viewing videos through the browser you loose your video timeline control. What I mean is the timeline at the bottom of the video can not be manipulated for exact adjustment of video. This is extremely frustrating. You have to use the FF or Reverse which skips about 30sec. at a time
The other major draw back is the lack of independent volume control. if you set your volume it controls your ring tone, music and any other sound coming out of this phone.

Small problems ? Yes but still these problems shouldn?t exist on a flagship new gen smartphone.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site

that's exactly the issue I had myself. I only use WiFi at home so I can fix it there. My old router did suck big time but it worked for everything else. It has to be an issue with the phone if its the only device that's suffering from this issue.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
so I can't find a complaint about this anywhere I can't be the only one ! Here's my problem :
This brings up a huge draw back to this phone, when viewing videos through the browser you loose your video timeline control. What I mean is the timeline at the bottom of the video can not be manipulated for exact adjustment of video. This is extremely frustrating. You have to use the FF or Reverse which skips about 30sec. at a time
The other major draw back is the lack of independent volume control. if you set your volume it controls your ring tone, music and any other sound coming out of this phone.

Small problems ? Yes but still these problems shouldn’t exist on a flagship new gen smartphone.

The 8.1 update is bringing separate volume control. I don't know about the video scrubbing, but hopefully it's coming.

bmc777

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ive noticed a camera bug, though maybe it was just a device issues so swpped and have same probelm. Maybe cause im new to WP8 but I cannot seem to find a way to turn off the camera flash. Ive used toggle to make sure its off, used stock camera app to turn off used Nokia Procam to turn off and everytime I take a picture the flash goes off. Wouldnt be an issue in low light, but when lighting is good the flash shouldnt be used. Any thoughts??

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Small problems ? Yes but still these problems shouldn’t exist on a flagship new gen smartphone.

8.1 fixes both of those issues.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive noticed a camera bug, though maybe it was just a device issues so swpped and have same probelm. Maybe cause im new to WP8 but I cannot seem to find a way to turn off the camera flash. Ive used toggle to make sure its off, used stock camera app to turn off used Nokia Procam to turn off and everytime I take a picture the flash goes off. Wouldnt be an issue in low light, but when lighting is good the flash shouldnt be used. Any thoughts??

If the flash is off, it flashes lightly before the picture is taken, but not as the picture is taken, presumably to get the pupils to shrink to reduce redeye.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The small flash before the shutter is the focus lamp. It just assists the phone in finding a focal point before it snaps the picture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs