Nokia Lumia Icon Bugs and Defects

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Regarding camera flash...

Open camera app. Tap the flash status icon (circle with lightning bolt). It cycles from 'on' to 'auto' to 'flash off' .

To turn off auto focus assist lamp. Open camera app. Tap the three dots in the menu (...) to open full menu. Select 'Photo Settings...'
Scroll down to Focus Assist Light field and set it to off. Save and exit

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ive noticed a camera bug, though maybe it was just a device issues so swpped and have same probelm. Maybe cause im new to WP8 but I cannot seem to find a way to turn off the camera flash. Ive used toggle to make sure its off, used stock camera app to turn off used Nokia Procam to turn off and everytime I take a picture the flash goes off. Wouldnt be an issue in low light, but when lighting is good the flash shouldnt be used. Any thoughts??
they actually swapped a phone at a store because they didn't know how to turn of the focus assist light? Wow !😵

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, I was mistaken on my router. I have the Linksys E3200 and no new firmware is out there. I did make some changes to my wifi setting on the 5Ghz band to see if that corrects it. I don't know if this phone connects through that or the 2.4Ghz band. I didn't get a chance to test it out by going outside but I will this evening. If not Tomato makes a custom firmware for this router and i might give that a try.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys that was it!
What benefits does that feature have? And should I leave it on?

Auto-focus is a feature of digital cameras that allows them to focus correctly on a subject. It enhances the quality of the photo over fixed-focus cameras and allows for close-ups (or the even closer macro shots).

Phones use passive auto-focus with contrast measurement. This means that the camera needs contrast to focus and have problems focusing on a blank wall or in low light conditions.

Some phones can use their camera LEDs as a focus assist light to help deal with the latter case.

--- Auto-focus - Mobile terms glossary - GSMArena.com

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was mistaken on my router. I have the Linksys E3200 and no new firmware is out there. I did make some changes to my wifi setting on the 5Ghz band to see if that corrects it. I don't know if this phone connects through that or the 2.4Ghz band. I didn't get a chance to test it out by going outside but I will this evening. If not Tomato makes a custom firmware for this router and i might give that a try.

They will show up as two different available networks. Ones probably linksys10 and the other would be linksys10-5GHZ or something along those lines. As long as the 5GHZ is turned on.

I still haven't updated my firmware cause I or somebody in my house are constantly doing something over WiFi. Nobodies home right now, so I might remote in and try it, but I'm afraid if something goes wrong I won't be able to fix it

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The back cover of my Icon seems to be a little loose, when I press it down, it moves a little bit. Other than that, I haven't seen any bugs / defects in the phone itself.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
They will show up as two different available networks. Ones probably linksys10 and the other would be linksys10-5GHZ or something along those lines. As long as the 5GHZ is turned on.

I still haven't updated my firmware cause I or somebody in my house are constantly doing something over WiFi. Nobodies home right now, so I might remote in and try it, but I'm afraid if something goes wrong I won't be able to fix it

What do mean? If I use the Tomato custom I will have two different available networks? Because having the dual bands only shows up as one network currently, it depends on the device connecting. I was questioning whether the Icon uses the 2.4 or 5Ghz band to connect to wifi?

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
What do mean? If I use the Tomato custom I will have two different available networks? Because having the dual bands only shows up as one network currently, it depends on the device connecting. I was questioning whether the Icon uses the 2.4 or 5Ghz band to connect to wifi?

Like Berty said, whatever you list as the SSID, the router will broadcast two networks, SSID and SSID-5GHZ, and you connect to which ever one you want. The 5GHZ can typically push more data, but has a smaller range.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Like Berty said, whatever you list as the SSID, the router will broadcast two networks, SSID and SSID-5GHZ, and you connect to which ever one you want. The 5GHZ can typically push more data, but has a smaller range.

That's weird. Cause this is my second dual band router and only one SSID is broadcast. Both are enabled in the router and have always been. Matter of fact there is only one field to name the SSID in the settings and then options on how you want to set up each band below it; channel, mixed, etc.

Edit: I will certainly be looking again when I get home cause maybe there is an option to broadcast the 5Ghz and its not enabled.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Just saw this in the manual for my router:

By default, your dual-band router uses the same network name on both the
2 .4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band . If you are connecting to your router with
a computer that has a dual-band wireless network adapter, you might not be
able to determine which band you’re using . The easiest way to segment your
traffic is to rename one of your wireless networks . With a separate, descriptive
name, it will be easy to connect to the right network.

So looks like it's something I would have to enable. Thanks!

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
They will show up as two different available networks. Ones probably linksys10 and the other would be linksys10-5GHZ or something along those lines.

Not necessarily. Many wireless routers come with the same network name on each by default. I always recommend changing them so you know for sure which one you are on.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. Many wireless routers come with the same network name on each by default. I always recommend changing them so you know for sure which one you are on.

Yes but I was correct in saying that they are two separate broadcasts. Like you said make sure of which one you are connected to, and its best to rename them. If you are looking for the 5ghz, make sure it is broadcasting and make sure it is not hidden. (or leave it hidden and just manually connect to it)

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I have with the icon is the rear speaker. If I lay the phone down on its back, I can barely hear the speaker or it becomes really muffled. If the icon is in my belt pouch I can't hear the ringer or feel the vibration.

MosesByxbe

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a bug. Can't change the volume while listening to podcasts. It just stays at whatever volume was used last. Doesn't matter which podcast.

If play some mp3s, the volume can change, but when I go back to play a podcast, the volume does not change (but the volume number does show as increasing/decreasing).

I have this issue with any media. Volume numbers will adjust, but not if anything is playing. I have to stop and restart (pausing doesn't work, either) to get the volume to actually change once I've adjusted it.

Minor bug. I just have to remember to check volume in public before I play anything for fear of broadcasting my YouTube video across the office or something (at least until Nokia releases an update).

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have this issue with any media. Volume numbers will adjust, but not if anything is playing. I have to stop and restart (pausing doesn't work, either) to get the volume to actually change once I've adjusted it.

Minor bug. I just have to remember to check volume in public before I play anything for fear of broadcasting my YouTube video across the office or something (at least until Nokia releases an update).

Probably not a great idea to be watching YouTube videos at the office anyway!!

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I had an odd issue and I don't know if it's exclusive to the Icon, or a WP or app issue. I recently installed Skype and linked it to my Microsoft account and noticed significant rapid battery drain. After messing around I noticed when I was in Settings/Email and Accounts my Microsoft account was syncing every 2-3 seconds!! I deleted Skype and the problem went away. I don't really use the app, just wanted to mess around with it. It's not a big deal to me, but thought it an odd enough issue to mention it here.

Apologize if this is old news.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte