Nokia Lumia Icon Bugs and Defects

chrisdaboss

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
My Icon randomly resets itself too. I could be texting or just be browsing and it reboots. Wifi is terrible. It drops and then it goes to limited connection. It didn't used to do that before 8.1. Also, when the phone restarts it is like in a never ending boot cycle. Again on 8.1. Downloaded the latest updates. Still bad wifi connection and random reboots.

jehusaunders

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having trouble with my Windows 8.1 Nokia lumia icon phone when making calls, the recipient at the other end of the call sometimes can hardly hear me or it sounds like I am in a tunnel.
The problem is intermittent and does not happen on all calls. In the main it happens when I make outgoing calls rather than incoming calls.

The problem does not occur when using Speaker phone or my wired hands free.

I have reset the phone before. the problem still exist. help please.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My Icon has been getting hot in my pocket also. I will notice it warm on the back at the bottom. Usually when this happens, I hit the power button and I will see either a black "Loading" or a "Resuming" screen or both with the dots moving across the screen. Sometimes it will take a 5-10 seconds for the phone to wake up. Sometimes I've had to restart the phone. I can go a few days without it happening or it can happen several times in a single day.

I thought that things were running in the background so I have been systematically disabling things (updates, feedback, etc.) to try to isolate the culprit. I'm thinking at this point it may be Cortana, or more specifically, the Speech Recognition Service sending feedback to Microsoft. I know that it wouldn't send a lot of data but it may be getting stuck for some reason. It may also be related to the inconsistent WiFi reception and not being able to send the data properly but keeps trying over and over.

Its just a hunch. I had Cortana and the Speech Recognition Service turned off all day and didn't have a problem. When I got home, I turned them both back on and it happened again. Both are now turned off so I will see if it happens again.

06-06-2014 Update: Since I disabled Cortana and Speech Recognition Service, I haven't had any instance of delayed start after hitting the power button. I'm now going to enable the SRS but not Cortana and see if it happens again. I'll give it a couple more days and if it doesn't happen by then, I'll turn Cortana back on again and see.

06-07-2014 Update: After enabling Speech Recognition Service, I got the long delayed start and the warm phone again. I have it turned off again and will keep it off until the firmware is updated.

Last edited:

Jeff Spradling

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Not really a bug but I didn't want to start a new thread. On 8.0 the search button long press brought up three choices now on 8.1 it brings up Cortana. Where can I find my three choices again?

LightningXCE

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
OK Thanks, but wow, what does everybody do to go back a page? I think 8.1 should give us back and forth page swiping then.

It does; Swipe from screen left to screen right. To go forward, do the opposite.

Any news on the 'long wake up' issue? Mine takes about 5 to 10 seconds to actually wake the screen up after hitting power. On cold restart and everything as well.

Another Q; SMS characters are STILL not sending properly on Verizon. All WPs I've seen do this. Send yourself a text message with a few characters, like ^^ for example, They turn into commas.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'd say the vast majority of us on the Icon forum are on Verizon. I just texted myself the ^^ characters and returned with ^^ as well.

Gerry Brennan

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have found a bug with the update on the Icon, or should I say several.

-Battery drains more quickly then before update.
-Power button take 2-3 times before the screen appears
-Camera locks up when taking pictures
-Slow response on touch screen.

I have been through 4 warranty replacements via Verizon and 2 via Nokia. My question to the forum, as I cannot find the answer, how do I back out of the Verizon update?

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted for, but I'm hoping for a fix. Using headphones, if I listen to a Podcast (using the built in Music app) then try to play a song using the Xbox Music app, the volume get stuck at whatever the podcast was at. Turning the audio to 0 or 30 doesn't mute things or make things any louder. The only fix I've found is to reboot the phone, or play a song in the Music app then go back into the Xbox Music app.

Similar experience here, with same fixes. Had this problem on 928 and a new Icon.

Bender6681

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
-Power button take 2-3 times before the screen appears

I have this issue after the 8.1 DP. I will also say that I had all of the wifi issues but the 8.1 DP fixed them. Would like double tap to wake please Nokia.
PS. This is my first windows phone. I have been an android user forever and after a few days of relearning how to do things I am really impressed.

thecsmachine

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have an issue with my screen and not sure if I should get it replaced or not, I have had it around 1 month....basically there is a gradient from the top to bottom.
You notice it the most with a white background, but it is darker at the top and then what I would call normal from about half way down.

Anyone else have this issue?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been hearing of a hint of purple that starts at the top and gets darker towards the bottom. Probably similar defect, I would go for a replacement.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got this phone as a replacement for a 928 that I loved, but dropped one too many times and knocked a few things around in the casing. Basically I couldn't use the power button to do anything, and it would randomly try to turn off, or take screenshots, because the power button must have been pressed by some loose parts in there or something...

Anyway it is a GORGEOUS phone, huge step up from the 928 (and I really liked the 928). However, I have the screen color gradient issue. Does this go away with time? It's white at the top and becomes purplish towards the bottom. It's most noticeable in the mail app and other things with light backgrounds.

Also, something I haven't seen mentioned, is when I press the button to lock the screen, it sort of flickers first. But it doesn't seem intentional... I don't know how to describe it. This might be normal and I've just never noticed before, but it's a little distracting.

I think for both of these issues, as I use the phone they won't matter to me anymore. I'm going to try and ignore them and just enjoy the phone. I really hate nitpicking but it's so hard not to do it when we spend so much time (and money!) with these devices.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got this phone as a replacement for a 928 that I loved, but dropped one too many times and knocked a few things around in the casing. Basically I couldn't use the power button to do anything, and it would randomly try to turn off, or take screenshots, because the power button must have been pressed by some loose parts in there or something...

Anyway it is a GORGEOUS phone, huge step up from the 928 (and I really liked the 928). However, I have the screen color gradient issue. Does this go away with time? It's white at the top and becomes purplish towards the bottom. It's most noticeable in the mail app and other things with light backgrounds.

Also, something I haven't seen mentioned, is when I press the button to lock the screen, it sort of flickers first. But it doesn't seem intentional... I don't know how to describe it. This might be normal and I've just never noticed before, but it's a little distracting.

I think for both of these issues, as I use the phone they won't matter to me anymore. I'm going to try and ignore them and just enjoy the phone. I really hate nitpicking but it's so hard not to do it when we spend so much time (and money!) with these devices.

Welcome aboard, nufan! Good to see you again. :smile:

jkishoret

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi All ... i am new to this forum. So first of all thanks to everyone for starting a thread on lumia icon.

Got my lumia icon a couple of days back ... facing couple of issues but not sure whether its an issue or icon is designed that way ..
1. Navigation keys are showing yellow tint instead of bright white ... i also own lumia 920 and it has a bright white which i love the most.
2. When i open setting and try to scroll up or down quickly ... the text goes dim and brownish and once the scrolling stops it comes up bright white again.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi All ... i am new to this forum. So first of all thanks to everyone for starting a thread on lumia icon.

Got my lumia icon a couple of days back ... facing couple of issues but not sure whether its an issue or icon is designed that way ..
1. Navigation keys are showing yellow tint instead of bright white ... i also own lumia 920 and it has a bright white which i love the most.
2. When i open setting and try to scroll up or down quickly ... the text goes dim and brownish and once the scrolling stops it comes up bright white again.

I can help you with #1 - I had a Lumia 928 before this, and the buttons started out a somewhat unpleasant off-white. However, over time they evened out and ended up quite clear and white. So I wouldn't worry about it, assuming that this phone is similar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2