Nokia Lumia Icon Bugs and Defects

ValuableCross

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I would like to add to the possible list of issues as well as a solution in the details. This was for a Nokia Icon(white)->Black OS->8.0.10521.155:

Issues:
  • Phone would not save videos properly
  • Screen would go blank when making phone calls, making things like checking voicemail impossible as you could not type in a password.

Details:
My problems began after the phone failed to save a video I took of my son's piano recital:)angry:). I looked on some forums and there was a tip that I should see if I could see the video by plugging the Icon into a computer(windows 7 with windows phone client app installed). I was able to see the video, however it only recorded 5mb worth. On subsequent tests this same thing happened with other videos I tried. I rebooted the phone, and videos began saving properly and showing up in the camera roll again. Unfortunately, I could not recover the video I wanted.

The next day I realized that the screen would go blank when trying to make a call. I could not even check my voicemail as I was unable to enter the password. Many websites suggested that it could be dust in the proximity sensor, but I found that hard to believe as the phone is only a month old. After trying many things (a soft reset, forced air through the headset hole), nothing worked. I was about to give up and return it when I decided that maybe its just a software bug and I should try re-connecting it to a pc. When I hooked my Icon up to my work PC (windows 7, no windows client app) the screen went from dark to bright to normal. I tried placing a call with the phone still plugged in.. no blank screen. I unplugged the phone and tried calling again.. no blank screen! :smile:

GuerraEC

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Are you referring to the hangup on loading Yahoo email? Mine just syncs constantly, causing the phone to heat up and drain all my battery. I've tried factory reset and then reconnecting the yahoo mail account but it does the same thing. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I've also noticed an issue with the Google acct as well, only it doesn't sync, it just won't take my password.

GuerraEC

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the EXACT same issue. It's been ongoing since Wed (5 days now). I've tried a full factory reset and then tried reloading my account and it does the same thing.... stuck in never ending syncing! I don't understand why it's doing this. Do I need some sort of update? How do I make it sync and then stop? I don't have the account loaded right now, because I've done ANOTHER factory reset about 24 hours ago. What should I try now? I've already reported it to Verizon and since they couldn't fix it, they are sending me a replacement phone. Is this necessary? Help

demostheneslocke

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been unable to update apps for a couple days now. They acknowledge they need updated, I press update and nothing happens. When I click on them, "just a little longer and * will be installed," is prompted, no action. Any help? Thanks!

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been unable to update apps for a couple days now. They acknowledge they need updated, I press update and nothing happens. When I click on them, "just a little longer and * will be installed," is prompted, no action. Any help? Thanks!

try uninstalling the app and reinstall, see if that works

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia Icon won't charge no matter what. I have tried several different chords, plugging it into my computer, and plugging into the wall

I'm assuming you've tried wireless charging as well? That would rule out that it's a problem with the micro usb port.

If so, it's likely a problem with the battery and it should be covered under warranty. Try taking it to your vendor or go to the below website for support.

Nokia Lumia Icon - Support, Updates, Downloads and User Guides, Troubleshooting - Microsoft - USA

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Something bad happened last night. For whatever reason out of the blue my Icon just stopped functioning properly. The lock screen hardware button would not wake the screen, neither would the camera button. The only way I could wake the screen was to lay it on the charger or plug it in. Then the phone became largely unresponsive to gestures. The notification center was blank, there were no options or menu items listing at the top. When off the charger the phone still thought it was on the charger and vice versa. The percentage charged was not matching what was showing for the battery. If locked a phone call would come in but not wake the screen. Soft reset did nothing. Shutting down the phone wouldn't just keep it off, it would automatically boot back up even off the charger. Random reboots. Half the time it would not connect to data or wifi. My 5:30 alarm went off at 11am. etc....

I spent almost half the day today getting pictures and other media off my phone. None of my PC's could recognize the phone. Creating a successful backup was impossible also. Finally I was able to get items off and prep for a hard reboot. The hard reboot worked but holy s**t I am super furious about this and everything I have to do to get it back to normal. On top of that when I went to restore my phone it gave only 3 restore points with the most recent being Nov 14. I suppose that is because I went to 8.1 DP shortly thereafter.

I will not be going back to 8.1 DP because I most likely will going to AT&T for the 1520 because Verizon makes me vomit with their love for WP. If only the 1520's weren't still $300+ (used, off contract) :(

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I will not be going back to 8.1 DP because I most likely will going to AT&T for the 1520 because Verizon makes me vomit with their love for WP. If only the 1520's weren't still $300+ (used, off contract) :(

I'll be joining you on AT&T at the end of February when my contract with Verizon is up. Here's a 1520 auction on Ebay that ends in 10 minutes. Price is currently at $225.

Nokia Lumia 1520 16GB Matte White at T Smartphone Bundle with 5 Free Cases | eBay

There are also a few 1520's going in the market on Windows Central forums. The 1520.3's are all over $300, but there are a few AT&T' 1520's under the $300 mark. The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade - Windows Central Forums

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Seems like the latest Denim update is causing some users (myself included) experience red/purple or grey hue/tinting issues on HIGH brightness (very visible in low light situations) similar to what the 930 users reported in the past....

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Icon won't stop sync'ing email accounts (only 1 of 3 are working but even the working ones don't stop) so I can't change/delete them. Tried airplane mode, changing passwords...no luck. She's pissed because I insisted that it was worth the upgrade (after convincing her to go to WP in the first place). She loves the phone, but a screwed up update leaves a sour taste...now I have to hard reset the phone, restore, blah blah blah...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Icon won't stop sync'ing email accounts (only 1 of 3 are working but even the working ones don't stop) so I can't change/delete them. Tried airplane mode, changing passwords...no luck. She's pissed because I insisted that it was worth the upgrade (after convincing her to go to WP in the first place). She loves the phone, but a screwed up update leaves a sour taste...now I have to hard reset the phone, restore, blah blah blah...

I'm 90% sure that this isn't a software/hardware glitch but rather a server bug that would be fixed by deleting the accounts from the phone and setting them up again. I wouldn't do a hard reset until i fully exhausted that option.

Neil Hesketh

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Well,
Finally got the Denim upgrade last night, set up Cortana voice, played with the camera app, and then someone calls me and there is no ringer or vibration. After playing around with it a while, trying a few different ringtones, a couple of soft resets, and turning the vibrate off and on multiple times, I have a ringer back!

Last edited:

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm 90% sure that this isn't a software/hardware glitch but rather a server bug that would be fixed by deleting the accounts from the phone and setting them up again. I wouldn't do a hard reset until i fully exhausted that option.

I had this same problem with a gf's phone. She was also very mad. ;) I ended up factory resetting the phone, which really doesn't take that long with all contacts, pics, etc. backed up to the MS servers, and that fixed it.

Also, factory resetting a phone if you haven't done it in a while really makes you feel like you have a new phone. Highly recommended. Everything just works better.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Since Denim update I have started to have battery issues. My phone shut down yesterday unexpectedly and when I went to power it back on it gave me an empty battery logo. I connected my external battery stick and it powered up immediately. When it finished booting up, I was surprised to see that I had 52% battery left. The phone DID NOT get hot at all, so I don't think this sudden "battery drain" is real - just something wrong with the algorithm that measures battery life. But the sudden shutdown is alarming. Is anyone else having this issue?

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm highly annoyed that I seem to have to go thru several steps to read a QR code now--it should be there at the top of the screen on Cortana's page IMO, or be able to be pinned to the start menu. :angry:

Also, has anyone else noticed that their touchscreen isn't nearly as sensitive and touching close the edge (to type the letter P for example) is nonexistent even on the highest sensitivity level? It wasn't great before the update, but now it just doesn't work. I never realized how often I use the P key until I didn't have it anymore.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm highly annoyed that I seem to have to go thru several steps to read a QR code now--it should be there at the top of the screen on Cortana's page IMO, or be able to be pinned to the start menu. :angry:

I agree! Those of us who upgraded to 8.1DP noticed that immediately. It's been suggested to Microsoft to restore QR code and bar scanning into the search function.

I'm not sure about the touch screen though. It seems just as sensitive. Again, I was using 8.1DP already, and maybe I didn't notice because I had gotten used to it.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have had issues with yahoo mail since day one and it is not just the WP OS or Nokia issue. Its Yahoo's issue. I even try to get on and check my account and it says "service not available". It has po'd me ever since I changed my web hosting to Yahoo's bizmail. I wished I would have never switched now! Have had nothing but problems on cell phones and even outlook on my PC!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs