Pictures / Video taken with your Lumia Icon

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
So what is the overall best picture settings? just got my icon a week ago.

Depends on the scene and time of day.

I almost always use an ISO of 100 at day or night for the highest quality.
For static scenes at night, 100 or 200 ISO with a shutter speed between 1/4s to 0.8s.
If there is movement in the night scene, 400 or 800 with a faster shutter speed of around 1/10s to 1/20s.

The auto color balance usually doesn't produce good results, so I always manually set the color balance to either cloudy or sunny in the day, and bulb or fluorescent at night.

viperRBNY

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Some video I took at a recent rock concert (Queen w/Adam Lambert) with my Icon. Needless to say, you'd have to be closer than where I was for best results. That said, I was really impressed with the HAAC microphone technology on the Icon, as this show was loud and the sound was captured pretty well. :

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
1sso0vN

VaSFiM

What you guys/girls think. First few pictures take with icon.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140810_12_12_01_Pro.jpg

Achieved by taking apart a laser pointer and removing the focusing lens.You take a bobby pin to hold it in place and then tape it to the back of the phone and line it up with the camera. Its my first shot, i'll post more if people want.Have some pretty neat ones with the lens better positioned.

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
WP_20140810_09_42_30_Pro.jpgWP_20140810_09_38_30_Pro.jpg

Here are those pictures. Last post didn't seem to work. Anyway let me know what you think. And what capture mode are you using? I using jpeg only, and what's better 16:9 or 4:3 for the aspect ration.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm a pro at Photoshop, I have yet to take a DNG type photograph, but the JPEG photos turn out beautiful. The camera on this phone is truly amazing. I have yet to do any video, yet.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It really just depends on how professional you want to make your pictures. As for your first question, the jpeg is great for sharing the picture on your phone and smaller screens. the 16 mega pixel .DNG file is for editing in Light-room or Photo Shop. The point of having a 20MP sensor is what you can do with photos post production. With an image that large, you can zoom in on the image and still retain a lot of detail the closer you get. as far as aspect ratio, shooting in 4:3 is best for still images that are average photo size, more square shaped. 16:9 is more popular with images you are blowing up to bigger size or movies as most movies are now shot in widescreen format.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Shutter speed during brightday? I had it at 1s with an ISO of 100, got just white screen. No photo.

Leave shutter speed on automatic during the day, but usually between 1/60 to 1/500 (or even 1/1000), depending on the time of day and movement in the scene.

Yeah... at one second, you'd get a white screen even on a severely overcast day, depending on what you were pointing at. If you're determined to use manual settings, follow the "sunny f/16" rule.

"On a sunny day set aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to the [reciprocal of the] ISO film speed [or ISO setting] for a subject in direct sunlight."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... at one second, you'd get a white screen even on a severely overcast day, depending on what you were pointing at. If you're determined to use manual settings, follow the "sunny f/16" rule.

"On a sunny day set aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to the [reciprocal of the] ISO film speed [or ISO setting] for a subject in direct sunlight."
Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok thanks, ill leave the shutter speed alone mostly then.

jrock504

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Make you have upgraded to the newest version of the Nokia Camea App, then go to settings and select 5MP+16MP RAW, then you can either connect the camera to your PC via USB or you can manually upload the photos to your skydrive when connected to wifi.
I have not found any other way to access them.

Do you have to have the Nokia Cyan update for this option? my Icon only gives me the option of jpeg 5Mp + 16mp DNG.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte