First Windows Phone: App Suggestions?

Mister_Burris

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I will be getting the Icon hopefully tomorrow but at least by the weekend. This will be my first Windows phone. After doing something looking, listed below are some of the apps that I intend of downloading upon getting the phone. Any suggestions on alternates? What about other apps you would suggest having?

Weather - AccuWeather
Instagram - 6Tag
Facebook - Facebook
Twitter - Tweet It
YouTube - MyTube, MetroTube
Spotify - Spotify
Beats Music - Beats Music
Vine - 6Sec
Snapchat - 6Snap
Google Maps - Here Drive, Google Maps
Amazon Mobile - Amazon Mobiel
Pic Stitch - Diptic
Notes - OneNote
Photos - Fotor, Fantasia Painter
Quick Settings
Music Downloader
Ringtones WP8

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
youtube HD is pretty good as well, proshot is a good camera app as well, ermm bing weather, insider pro V.good, audiotica V (beta) Excellent for music. this is just on top of my head, my phone is currently dead and not charging it till tomorrow, i'll write some more when i get a chance

outlaw_d

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the whole suite of Nokia camera apps are the best out there. This is one place where Nokia excels and distinguishes themselves from the rest.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I really like the Bing apps. Especially now that they will sync with their Windows 8 counterparts.

Bing Weather is my favorite weather app. It's not too crammed with features so it's lightweight, but also visually easy to navigate and doesn't feel like it's bare bones. So maybe add that to the weather app list. AccuWeather has always been buggy for me in my experience. And The Weather Channel is just not metro enough. Bing Weather is nice. And matches the Windows 8 version, so it's familiar.

Same goes for news, finance, etc.. Bing apps are pretty great, and cover a wide range of content.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've tried several weather apps and Bing Weather is definitely the best in my opinion.

As for photography apps: all of the Nokia apps are great; Nokia Camera, Cinemagraph, Refocus, Creative Studio etc, photosynth, camera360, phototastic, fantasia painter

Quick Settings or Connectivity Shortcuts

MyTube has replaced Metrotube as my go-to YouTube app

As for music apps...Nokia Mix Radio is awesome. The more you use it the better it gets at giving you what you want. Its so good that I'm even thinking about deleting a bunch of music from my phone because more often than not I'm happy with what the mixes have to offer.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I really like WebApps. You can use it to create custom tiles to favorite web pages that may not have an app yet. There are plenty of others that are similar to it. Wiztiles Pro, Skinery etc.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Get myAppfree. It offers a paid app for free, but only for 24 hours. While not all apps offered may interest you, you may sometimes come across an app that you have not seen which you can get.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
You can use Cool Tiles to pin Quick Settings shortcuts as Live Tiles. I use Bing Weather and not AccuWeather. HERE Maps is on par with Google Maps and has offline map support. I use YouTube HD for watching (and downloading) YouTube vids. There's currently a Booklet app for FB which is like iOS's Paper but still in beta form. Finally, there are a lot of good games like Dark Lands, Vala, etc.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to mention that I use a lot of Nokia apps like Refocus, Storyteller and NFC Writer. For camera, I use Nokia Camera, 1Shot and 4Blend HDR.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You have to try Jack of all Tools. it has a lot of interesting potentially useful tools that will help you immensely. Also, I highly recommend ProShot for photos.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, helpful thread for a newbie like me. I had a question, is there an app that can be an updating live tile that pulls in Facebook and twitter feeds?

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, helpful thread for a newbie like me. I had a question, is there an app that can be an updating live tile that pulls in Facebook and twitter feeds?

Yeah, there is, and it's already native on Lumia phones! It is called the Me Hub. :D

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I saw Me Hub, but unless I'm doing it wrong, I am only able to get it to show info from my own wall and tweets directed right to me. I was wondering if there was an app that just combines the news feeds from both apps. I am more of a lurker ��

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Some of these will be repeats of what others have suggested but here are a lot of the apps I use.

Calendar - Simple Calendar or Chronos Calendar

Weather - Amazing Weather HD, Bing Weather

Music - Digitally Imported (EDM), Sky.FM Radio (Various Genre's, non-EDM), JAZZRADIO.com (Well... Jazz) Side note, all three of these are connected so if you buy a premium membership for any of them, it carries over and the credentials work on all three site/apps. Also Stop the Music! is a good app to have, it "clears out" the active song from the volume bar. Also Xbox Music (with Xbox Music Pass), Nokia Mix Radio, iHeartRadio and Pandora

Lock Screen Customization - Lockmix

Tip Calculator/Bill Splitter - DivvyUp (with receipt icon, publisher: Oren Goldfinger)

Password Manager - Enpass Password Manager (If you aren't a LastPass user, this is my favorite pw manager. It has a clean interface, has a free desktop companion app and will sync/backup through Dropbox)

Photography/Photos - As others have said, the Nokia photo suite of apps are great. I also like ProShot, Fotor (color wheel icon), Fantasia Painter, Photosynth, Camera360 & Thumba Photo Editor.

To-Do/Task List - Top Task List (This is an awesome app, you can create any number of To-Do lists, pin them each individually to the start screen for fast access, very customizable, cannot recommend this enough for making lists, keeping things in order or quick notes.)

Battery - Battery Performance

Stopwatch/Timers - Avirall Time Suite

Shortcuts - Connection Tiles

Start Screen Organization - App Folder

Facebook - Facebook Beta

Flashlight - Flashlight Pro (publisher: vivmotion)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit