I will be getting the Icon hopefully tomorrow but at least by the weekend. This will be my first Windows phone. After doing something looking, listed below are some of the apps that I intend of downloading upon getting the phone. Any suggestions on alternates? What about other apps you would suggest having?

Weather - AccuWeather
    Instagram - 6Tag
    Facebook - Facebook
    Twitter - Tweet It
    YouTube - MyTube, MetroTube
    Spotify - Spotify
    Beats Music - Beats Music
    Vine - 6Sec
    Snapchat - 6Snap
    Google Maps - Here Drive, Google Maps
    Amazon Mobile - Amazon Mobiel
    Pic Stitch - Diptic
    Notes - OneNote
    Photos - Fotor, Fantasia Painter
    Quick Settings
    Music Downloader
    Ringtones WP8
    outlaw_d likes this.
    02-19-2014 03:08 PM
    youtube HD is pretty good as well, proshot is a good camera app as well, ermm bing weather, insider pro V.good, audiotica V (beta) Excellent for music. this is just on top of my head, my phone is currently dead and not charging it till tomorrow, i'll write some more when i get a chance
    02-19-2014 03:21 PM
    Try these:
    Amazing Weather HD
    Facebook Beta
    ProShot
    Battery
    02-19-2014 03:25 PM
    Yes, the whole suite of Nokia camera apps are the best out there. This is one place where Nokia excels and distinguishes themselves from the rest.
    02-19-2014 03:25 PM
    CamScanner, Connectivity Tiles, Xbox music, Flashlight Pro.
    02-19-2014 03:31 PM
    I really like the Bing apps. Especially now that they will sync with their Windows 8 counterparts.

Bing Weather is my favorite weather app. It's not too crammed with features so it's lightweight, but also visually easy to navigate and doesn't feel like it's bare bones. So maybe add that to the weather app list. AccuWeather has always been buggy for me in my experience. And The Weather Channel is just not metro enough. Bing Weather is nice. And matches the Windows 8 version, so it's familiar.

Same goes for news, finance, etc.. Bing apps are pretty great, and cover a wide range of content.
    02-19-2014 04:34 PM
    I've tried several weather apps and Bing Weather is definitely the best in my opinion.

As for photography apps: all of the Nokia apps are great; Nokia Camera, Cinemagraph, Refocus, Creative Studio etc, photosynth, camera360, phototastic, fantasia painter

Quick Settings or Connectivity Shortcuts

MyTube has replaced Metrotube as my go-to YouTube app

As for music apps...Nokia Mix Radio is awesome. The more you use it the better it gets at giving you what you want. Its so good that I'm even thinking about deleting a bunch of music from my phone because more often than not I'm happy with what the mixes have to offer.
    02-19-2014 04:46 PM
    Oh, My tilemaker pro or sticky tiles are good for any other post it note junkies out there!
    02-19-2014 04:54 PM
    I really like WebApps. You can use it to create custom tiles to favorite web pages that may not have an app yet. There are plenty of others that are similar to it. Wiztiles Pro, Skinery etc.
    02-19-2014 07:14 PM
    Windows Phone News and Wpcentral
    02-19-2014 07:27 PM
    Get myAppfree. It offers a paid app for free, but only for 24 hours. While not all apps offered may interest you, you may sometimes come across an app that you have not seen which you can get.
    02-19-2014 07:52 PM
    You can use Cool Tiles to pin Quick Settings shortcuts as Live Tiles. I use Bing Weather and not AccuWeather. HERE Maps is on par with Google Maps and has offline map support. I use YouTube HD for watching (and downloading) YouTube vids. There's currently a Booklet app for FB which is like iOS's Paper but still in beta form. Finally, there are a lot of good games like Dark Lands, Vala, etc.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    02-19-2014 08:33 PM
    I forgot to mention that I use a lot of Nokia apps like Refocus, Storyteller and NFC Writer. For camera, I use Nokia Camera, 1Shot and 4Blend HDR.

02-19-2014 08:35 PM
    You have to try Jack of all Tools. it has a lot of interesting potentially useful tools that will help you immensely. Also, I highly recommend ProShot for photos.
    02-19-2014 11:39 PM
    Great thread! I am looking also for a good clock option.
    02-20-2014 06:43 PM
    Agreed, helpful thread for a newbie like me. I had a question, is there an app that can be an updating live tile that pulls in Facebook and twitter feeds?
    02-20-2014 11:00 PM
    Agreed, helpful thread for a newbie like me. I had a question, is there an app that can be an updating live tile that pulls in Facebook and twitter feeds?

Yeah, there is, and it's already native on Lumia phones! It is called the Me Hub. :D

02-21-2014 03:52 AM
    Thank you. I saw Me Hub, but unless I'm doing it wrong, I am only able to get it to show info from my own wall and tweets directed right to me. I was wondering if there was an app that just combines the news feeds from both apps. I am more of a lurker
    02-21-2014 07:14 AM
    Snapseed --thumba

Esfileexplorer --pocket file manager

Google music --cloudmuzik

Feedly--phonly
    02-21-2014 08:43 AM
    Some of these will be repeats of what others have suggested but here are a lot of the apps I use.

Calendar - Simple Calendar or Chronos Calendar

Weather - Amazing Weather HD, Bing Weather

Music - Digitally Imported (EDM), Sky.FM Radio (Various Genre's, non-EDM), JAZZRADIO.com (Well... Jazz) Side note, all three of these are connected so if you buy a premium membership for any of them, it carries over and the credentials work on all three site/apps. Also Stop the Music! is a good app to have, it "clears out" the active song from the volume bar. Also Xbox Music (with Xbox Music Pass), Nokia Mix Radio, iHeartRadio and Pandora

Lock Screen Customization - Lockmix

Tip Calculator/Bill Splitter - DivvyUp (with receipt icon, publisher: Oren Goldfinger)

Password Manager - Enpass Password Manager (If you aren't a LastPass user, this is my favorite pw manager. It has a clean interface, has a free desktop companion app and will sync/backup through Dropbox)

Photography/Photos - As others have said, the Nokia photo suite of apps are great. I also like ProShot, Fotor (color wheel icon), Fantasia Painter, Photosynth, Camera360 & Thumba Photo Editor.

To-Do/Task List - Top Task List (This is an awesome app, you can create any number of To-Do lists, pin them each individually to the start screen for fast access, very customizable, cannot recommend this enough for making lists, keeping things in order or quick notes.)

Battery - Battery Performance

Stopwatch/Timers - Avirall Time Suite

Shortcuts - Connection Tiles

Start Screen Organization - App Folder

Facebook - Facebook Beta

Flashlight - Flashlight Pro (publisher: vivmotion)
    jpling likes this.
    02-21-2014 08:45 AM
    Thank you. I saw Me Hub, but unless I'm doing it wrong, I am only able to get it to show info from my own wall and tweets directed right to me. I was wondering if there was an app that just combines the news feeds from both apps. I am more of a lurker
    WIth people hub you can set groups and add people to the group and pin it to start screen. It shows both twitter and Facebook updates. I have friends group , family, and my I'm stalking you group.:-). They are all pinned to start and I can peek in with a touch of a tile. I love android and wp8 but wp8 whips everyone's buttocks when I comes to social integration. The days I use my g2/note3 I miss my people hub the most. icon comes today!
    TheArcaneFlame likes this.
    02-21-2014 08:54 AM
    I have tried Simple Calendar and Chronos, strongly prefer Super Calendar--a well laid out but info-packed interface, and the developer is always making improvements.
    2Day is a nice task manager, does a lot and lets you enter new tasks with voice.
    Wiztiles Pro is good tool for adding some customized tiles to your start screen.
    UC Browser is a nice alternative to IE, plus charming squirrel logo on live tile.
    Fave lockscreen apps: Photostream, LockMix and Wallpaper Patterns
    Phonly for Feedly, wonderful app.
    Bing apps I like: Bing Weather, Food and Drink <3 <3
    Liquid Timer: Does two things-- one basic timer or stopwatch, but an elegant interface. nice app.
    OneNote (but I also use Evernote)

Also a setting that I use all the time --under Speech, set "Read incoming text messages aloud" to always on. It doesn't just read them, it announces them, asks you if you want to read them or ignore, then if you want to respond, etc... I use this every day to text back in forth hands free in the car or around the house when I am busy with my hands. When it says "smiley face" in that robotic voice to read an emoticon sent in a text, it always makes me smile.
    02-21-2014 09:10 AM
    Is there an adblocker available for IE?
    02-21-2014 12:45 PM
    Gasbuddy is invaluable to me, it allows you to report and check on gasoline prices around the USA. You can pin up to 4 gas stations to your start screen so you can quickly see your gas stations on the path to work.

GasBuddy | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    02-21-2014 01:28 PM