The Sharks Are Already Circling

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Sure, it seems to weigh the good and the bad, but the snarky comments like "But wait, there's less" are all designed to create negative spin.

you might take it personal if it were your thesis being reviewed, but it is not.

it is however the mobile os you prefer, and by being critical of it, things might just change. the nyt is going to sell the phone for Microsoft if/when it's ready to be compared in appville. but they're also going to dog it wherever required to get it there.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
And I say that your numbers are ridiculous. To say, arbitrarily, without any reasonable data at all, that 95% of smartphone users will not be inconvenienced so, is unacceptable. The Uber app has significant advantages over the mobile site, which include Wallet integration such that I don't even have to take out my credit card. This is easily extensible to apps which are "niche" in your perception, but which may be of significant value for many people.

Why should these people choose a platform which is objectively less capable than others? What benefit accrues by this to ME, the User?

I can give my arbitrary opinion that is based on my observations of friends' and family's use of smart phones. Why are you holding me to a higher standard than the author of the article? He writes:

"the Icon is a fundamentally hobbled device" and "the phone’s shortcomings will haunt you . . . ."

He obviously isn't dealing with statistics, but is offering his arbitrary opinion. So am I.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
A lot of new construction will have the Nest and other similar devices. For instance, in Texas, the utility companies will give you a Nest for free with every new electricity connection because it saves energy in the long run. Here in CA, I get Rush Hour Rewards, discounts on my electricity bills because my Nest pre-cools the house before an expected hot period. Anyone who wishes to take advantage of these features will be handicapped by the lack of availability on WP.

*steps up on soapbox, puts WP down, clears throat*

The point is: We GET the point. Honest. But to continue to rail on the fact that WP is behind on apps in a piece that is -ahem- supposed to be "professional" is anything but. I truly expect ANY review of a WP device to pint out that WP is well less then half the apps in it's store as Android or iOS. But AFTER it is pointed out, MOVE ON!! Give your opinions of the the fact that since WP 8 was introduced, it has nearly doubled in apps. Point out where third party apps have helped ease the transition, even if they are not official. Point out that major developers are writing for WP at nearly the same pace as the big two, it is some of the smaller developers and speciality apps that WP needs to improve on.

Then, be level headed enough to point out the unique workings and tools of WP. The growth it has seen in the last year.

We know WP is not for the app warriors. I would never recommend it to someone who loads apps by the dozens just to try them out. But, there are literally thousands of Android/iOS users that DO NOT drool like St. Bernards at a water bowl over apps, and these users may find WP useful and enjoyable. But because bias like this, all they hear is life has no meaning in WP.

Moronic, unprofessional, and honestly a bit sad.

*steps off soapbox, pulls out WP, checks live tiles, chuckles*

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
*steps up on soapbox, puts WP down, clears throat*

The point is: We GET the point. Honest. But to continue to rail on the fact that WP is behind on apps in a piece that is -ahem- supposed to be "professional" is anything but. I truly expect ANY review of a WP device to pint out that WP is well less then half the apps in it's store as Android or iOS. But AFTER it is pointed out, MOVE ON!! Give your opinions of the the fact that since WP 8 was introduced, it has nearly doubled in apps. Point out where third party apps have helped ease the transition, even if they are not official. Point out that major developers are writing for WP at nearly the same pace as the big two, it is some of the smaller developers and speciality apps that WP needs to improve on.

Then, be level headed enough to point out the unique workings and tools of WP. The growth it has seen in the last year.

We know WP is not for the app warriors. I would never recommend it to someone who loads apps by the dozens just to try them out. But, there are literally thousands of Android/iOS users that DO NOT drool like St. Bernards at a water bowl over apps, and these users may find WP useful and enjoyable. But because bias like this, all they hear is life has no meaning in WP.

Moronic, unprofessional, and honestly a bit sad.

*steps off soapbox, pulls out WP, checks live tiles, chuckles*

There are also many people who do not need any special gadgets or apps for certain activities. I belong to a gym and exercise regularly. I have no desire to get any Fitbit or other types of gadgets. I hit my target heart rate and measure it without needing a bracelet to do it for me. One does not need special gadgets to exercise (or even gym memberships or gym equipment for that matter). Running outdoors with no special gadgets or equipment will produce the same results.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Just out -

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/t...bbled-by-its-windows-phone-framework.html?_r=

The author calls WP a "...second-class digital existence." Poor guy can't find his favorite trivia game.

Who pays these people to be shmucks? I hope Nadella and the phone team respond with great stuff in the months ahead. I have a 920, am excited about the Icon, and I really want these kinds of articles to go away.

Quite frankly, there's nothing wrong with what he said, and he was very complimentary to both Nokia and Microsoft.

I feel that am his case in point. After visiting a Microsoft store on Monday (but they didn't have the Icon on display yet), I finally held one in in my hand today at the Verizon store. After speaking with the Verizon rep and confirming that Microsoft could indeed renew my contract (I am on a corporate account - in the past Best Buy could not do so), I have concluded that I should instead head to the Microsoft store to get my Icon. I may yet do so this evening.

That said, it's clear that you have to want a WP to get one. I really do want one. I am heavily integrated with Microsoft's ecosystem. I have a Surface Pro, and I use Microsoft's One Note, Outlook.com and Xbox Music apps on my android device now. For Microsoft, I am the low-hanging fruit of US smartphone marketplace, and I am used to running flagship equipment.

And yet I have reservations.

I intend to overlook them, but I cannot ignore them. If everything goes well, I hope to get a great piece of smartphone hardware and an integrated ecosystem of services. And a mostly good selection of apps. However, I KNOW I can buy a Galaxy Note 3 and get a great piece of smartphone hardware and an integrated ecosystem of services. So I am substituting hope for a sure thing.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not bashing WP, but built into my purchase decision is already that 8.1 will solve most of the shortcomings and I will get over the rest of it and learn to love my new device. I am losing my favorite Visual Voicemail service, Phone Fusion VisualVoicemail+, which has served me faithfully since 2009 and still continues to impress my friends. I contacted Phone Fusion, only to learn that they have no plans to support WP. That's just a small thing, maybe, but I am feeling some pain over it. And if some guy's trivia game is what he wants, and he can't get it, he is absolutely valid in sharing his personal experiences in an opinion piece.

It's shortsighted not to understand that such small things figure into consumer behavior, and I am sure Microsoft is smart enough to recognize that these things do matter. Blackberry, on the other hand, did not, and never really understood why people wanted iPhones, and only grudgingly admitted that they did want them.

The fact is, these critics are the very people that Microsoft must cater to. You won't make your product better by talking to your fans, but you will learn quite a bit by having a frank discussion with your critics. Should Microsoft listen - and I am in my own small way betting that they will - these are the folks that will be advancing the state of the art of my new WP. As with all networked devices, the more that are sold the more value each one produces. The biggest ecosystem produces the widest benefits.

So I will be taking the plunge with WP. Overlooking all the barriers of entry and hoping it can replace my android experience. Maybe I will find a few hidden gems too. The driver for me is to escape Google, if I can. But be good to me, WP, or I won't be around for long.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Quite frankly, there's nothing wrong with what he said, and he was very complimentary to both Nokia and Microsoft.

I feel that am his case in point. After visiting a Microsoft store on Monday (but they didn't have the Icon on display yet), I finally held one in in my hand today at the Verizon store. After speaking with the Verizon rep and confirming that Microsoft could indeed renew my contract (I am on a corporate account - in the past Best Buy could not do so), I have concluded that I should instead head to the Microsoft store to get my Icon. I may yet do so this evening.

That said, it's clear that you have to want a WP to get one. I really do want one. I am heavily integrated with Microsoft's ecosystem. I have a Surface Pro, and I use Microsoft's One Note, Outlook.com and Xbox Music apps on my android device now. For Microsoft, I am the low-hanging fruit of US smartphone marketplace, and I am used to running flagship equipment.

I intend to overlook them, but I cannot ignore them. If everything goes well, I hope to get a great piece of smartphone hardware and an integrated ecosystem of services. And a mostly good selection of apps. However, I KNOW I can buy a Galaxy Note 3 and get a great piece of smartphone hardware and an integrated ecosystem of services. So I am substituting hope for a sure thing.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not bashing WP, but built into my purchase decision is already that 8.1 will solve most of the shortcomings and I will get over the rest of it and learn to love my new device. I am losing my favorite Visual Voicemail service, Phone Fusion VisualVoicemail+, which has served me faithfully since 2009 and still continues to impress my friends. I contacted Phone Fusion, only to learn that they have no plans to support WP. That's just a small thing, maybe, but I am feeling some pain over it. And if some guy's trivia game is what he wants, and he can't get it, he is absolutely valid in sharing his personal experiences in an opinion piece.

It's shortsighted not to understand that such small things figure into consumer behavior, and I am sure Microsoft is smart enough to recognize that these things do matter. Blackberry, on the other hand, did not, and never really understood why people wanted iPhones, and only grudgingly admitted that they did want them.

The fact is, these critics are the very people that Microsoft must cater to. You won't make your product better by talking to your fans, but you will learn quite a bit by having a frank discussion with your critics. Should Microsoft listen - and I am in my own small way betting that they will - these are the folks that will be advancing the state of the art of my new WP. As with all networked devices, the more that are sold the more value each one produces. The biggest ecosystem produces the widest benefits.

So I will be taking the plunge with WP. Overlooking all the barriers of entry and hoping it can replace my android experience. Maybe I will find a few hidden gems too. The driver for me is to escape Google, if I can. But be good to me, WP, or I won't be around for long.
I just checked Phone Fusion's site, and I wouldn't be surprised if that service is completely discontinued eventually. They haven't updated their site since 2009. It still mentions Windows Mobile 5 and 6. It also still shows Alltel as a supported carrier (Alltel has long since been bought out by Verizon).

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Well said. I too had to decide if I wanted to leave the comfort of Apple's iOS that I'd had since the day the first iPhone was released or take the plunge to a new ecosystem. My frustration was twofold as I felt Apple was mired in the same expensive hardware loop while bringing little new to the software, and I was splintered between Apple and MS with my work devices. While I don't have the obsessions over apps like most seem to have (full disclosure, if my bank app wasn't on WP I'd be pretty peeved, but I know I'd work around it) I have what I need and a few things that I didn't think I'd want, but now use daily.

Point being I made the plunge for a similar reason. I wanted something new but, more importantly, I wanted to repair the fractured ecosystem I was living. Now I have it all at my fingertips, Lumia 1520, Surface Pro, all Office apps and OneDrive to make it all complete. I want for nothing but look forward to the updates coming which will only enhance an already wonderful experience for me.

Yes, there are some things that need smoothing around the edges and I believe they will get there very quickly. Xbox music is better than it has ever been and only getting better, but still not the experience that I get with Spotify. I still find that MS can't seem to get all things lined up right such as the new office.com rollout. It still seems jumbled and fractured somehow. If you go to icloud.com and log in it is so clean and together, and it's not in multiple places. My hope is MS gets there soon as I believe they will. But it's the small, annoying things for me that just drive me bat-s*** crazy.

Anyway, I believe you'll love your new phone experience. Hopefully you'll keep us apprised of your progress.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
..... I would never recommend it to someone who loads apps by the dozens just to try them out. But, there are literally thousands of Android/iOS users that DO NOT drool like St. Bernards at a water bowl over apps, and these users may find WP useful and enjoyable. But because bias like this, all they hear is life has no meaning in WP

I think we have a custom handle (if we could have them): "Does Not Drool Like A St. Bernard" :wink:

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There was nothing absolutely positive about that article. Wtf.

It barely mentions the icon. It is more trashing the os while praising android and ios. That was ridiculous

I ripped the author on Twitter for exactly that reason. I asked "was this a phone review or an app market review?"

It was an opinion piece about what he thought MS should do to improve app selection. Not much more.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well this part of his "review" is true?

The tragedy is that the technology industry is not a meritocracy. Making great products is often not sufficient for success, and sometimes it?s not even required. In tech, marketing, branding, partnerships and timing can be as important as how well your product works.

Just today someone wrote a post complaining about the Lumia 1520 screen. Their solution was to go back to the iPhone 5 screen. Here are the iPhone 5 screen's specs?

4" 1136x640

The best phone doesn't always win. Unfortunately a lot of the time it is the best marketed phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just out -

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/t...bbled-by-its-windows-phone-framework.html?_r=

The author calls WP a "...second-class digital existence." Poor guy can't find his favorite trivia game.

Who pays these people to be shmucks? I hope Nadella and the phone team respond with great stuff in the months ahead. I have a 920, am excited about the Icon, and I really want these kinds of articles to go away.

These kinds of stories are expected EVERY SINGLE TIME some great news drops about Windows Phone in particular and Microsoft in general. All are ignorable. Mostly written by paid fans of google. Guaranteed.

Just wait until 8.1 begins to roll out. Man, will the fangs from the trolls be out.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about it fellas. It's the NY Times. Biased journalism and opinion based writing is the norm there.

For a good review, see engadget's review.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry about it fellas. It's the NY Times. Biased journalism and opinion based writing is the norm there.

if/when the improvements are made to address the nyt's article, will you dismiss the follow-up review just as quickly?

every product has room for improvements. ignoring the lacking areas mean a quick trip to nowhereville.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

As I posted yesterday, I am the audience to whom he was writing. After 12 hours with my Icon, I understand even more acutely the point he was trying to make.

I am determined to stick with this phone, but even as I am typing this message my phone buzzed and chimed. I glanced to the too of my screen and found... Nothing. Was it a text? An email? A reminder? Should I stop writing this post and ho back to the home screen?

I don't know, of course. In 2014 I am left with questions that should have been solved years ago.

And I know twenty people will want to post me back that.all my problems will be solved with WP 8.1, but I am talking about now. I feel like I got in a time machine and went back to 2011.

Not how I should feel with a flagship device. This should be the best phone ever on day one, not just the best WP ever.

So I ignored the advice and made the two year commitment. I am interested to see how I feel a month or two from now. Until then I will assume I have a lot to learn.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
As I posted yesterday, I am the audience to whom he was writing. After 12 hours with my Icon, I understand even more acutely the point he was trying to make.

I am determined to stick with this phone, but even as I am typing this message my phone buzzed and chimed. I glanced to the too of my screen and found... Nothing. Was it a text? An email? A reminder? Should I stop writing this post and ho back to the home screen?

I don't know, of course. In 2014 I am left with questions that should have been solved years ago.

And I know twenty people will want to post me back that.all my problems will be solved with WP 8.1, but I am talking about now. I feel like I got in a time machine and went back to 2011.

Not how I should feel with a flagship device. This should be the best phone ever on day one, not just the best WP ever.

So I ignored the advice and made the two year commitment. I am interested to see how I feel a month or two from now. Until then I will assume I have a lot to learn.

What did you use before the Icon?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Screw the New York Slimes. I pity those that read that rag in the first place, let alone read them seriously for reviews of things like tech.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb