Hey all,

Please (PLEASE), if you don't like the question, don't bother answering. Can the WP/Icon be "rooted" like Android to run custom apps, OS mods, etc?

Again, I'm not really asking if YOU think it's a good or bad thing, or if you would or wouldn't do it, or why I am a crybaby for asking if it can be done, simply, can it? Are there custom ROMs for WP?

Thank you in advance.
    02-19-2014 09:58 PM
    Pretty much no for WP8, as far as I know. There might be a bit of an unlock ability on the Samsungs but not sure.

MS basically set up WP8 with something like the Secure Boot in PC's I think. And no BIOS to go disable that in.

Best bet would be to see if XDA-Devs has anything -- and I would guess nothing on the Icon yet being so new.
    Laura Knotek, Tjarren and ret18057 like this.
    02-19-2014 10:05 PM
    I'll go out on a limb and say there will be no interest at XDA. Nokia's are being worked in silence though, we have seen some stuff using a jtag on a 920. Nothing is stable in private testing.

It seems to mostly be a problem of finding something that's easy and exploitable. On Samsung's, their Diagnosis app has a hidden registry editor; all we needed was to launch it via toast. There is some evidence for one in Nokia's apps, but nothing quite works right; its what snickler(author of cloudmuzik)'s registry editor uses.

I doubt the 928 will get anything at all..... unless someone finds a universal exploit that works on all Lumia's.
    Laura Knotek and ret18057 like this.
    02-19-2014 10:24 PM
    Hey all,

Please (PLEASE), if you don't like the question, don't bother answering. Can the WP/Icon be "rooted" like Android to run custom apps, OS mods, etc?

Again, I'm not really asking if YOU think it's a good or bad thing, or if you would or wouldn't do it, or why I am a crybaby for asking if it can be done, simply, can it? Are there custom ROMs for WP?

Thank you in advance.
    Not to the degree of Android or WP7. Nope. However, some Samsung phones (e.g. ATIV S) can be rooted for more under-the-hood tweakability.

But flashing phones with a different region's or carrier's ROM isn't unheard of. (e.g. my USA ATT 920 was flashed to the unbranded 920 French ROM)
    ret18057 likes this.
    02-19-2014 11:14 PM
    Simple answer...no

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    02-20-2014 06:41 AM