Heading to Verizon today after work to get the Icon

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
What a sad sad day. I just found out Verizon has military discounts after being with them for 15 months thats a total of $360 I could have saved =(

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
What a sad sad day. I just found out Verizon has military discounts after being with them for 15 months thats a total of $360 I could have saved =(

Call customer service and complain about that. They are might to give you some kind of credit if you tell them you are dissatisfied with the experience.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Purchased at the Microsoft store. Walked in this morning only customer in the store. They had several and the process was painless.

Which Microsoft store were you at? I only ask because my local Microsoft store won't tell me how much inventory they have and I can't pick one up until the 25th due to my upgrade schedule :s

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I drove an hour and a half in freezing rain (kind of dumb actually) to get to a Verizon Corporate store that had 1 in stock. They said they could not hold it for me so I just had to take my chances.

In hind sight my chances were really good. It's a corporate store but it was still in a small town. Got the phone (black) They sort of had one on display......by that I mean they did, but it was COMPLETELY unlabeled. No mention at all of what it was or what it cost.....but it was out there.

This is my very first MP and so far I'm loving it (coming from Android).

Oh, and get this. The associate tells me "Buy an Icon and you can also get $200 off the Nokia 2520 tablet" "Really!" "Wow....I just might have to take that deal!" "So what does that make it....like $200?"

Him - "No...it's normally $599 so it would be $399 with the deal"

I swear I wanted to reach across the counter and slap him! I Told him - "$399!, I can buy that tablet ALL DAY LONG for $399!"

Jerk off.

Oh yeah....and they tried to push EDGE hard and insurance and wireless speakers and.............

I got my Icon and left.

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
My Verizon Store in Arlington, TX has the same setup with the podium having an Icon and a 2520 right up front and center. But when I walked in last night and the rep standing between the door and the display asked if she could help, I said "do you have the new Windows Phone, the Lumia Icon?" She said "yes, it's right there, but I don't know anything about those phones so I won't be able to help you." I chuckled and walked past her. Then I picked it up, looked at it and touched the Windows button to wake it up or something because I'd never used one, and nothing happened. By now, she had walked back over to me, and helpfully offered, "see what I mean? That's what I'm talking about!" At which point I pressed a button on the side and it lit up. I said "thanks, I've got it from here."

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon Store in Arlington, TX has the same setup with the podium having an Icon and a 2520 right up front and center. But when I walked in last night and the rep standing between the door and the display asked if she could help, I said "do you have the new Windows Phone, the Lumia Icon?" She said "yes, it's right there, but I don't know anything about those phones so I won't be able to help you." I chuckled and walked past her. Then I picked it up, looked at it and touched the Windows button to wake it up or something because I'd never used one, and nothing happened. By now, she had walked back over to me, and helpfully offered, "see what I mean? That's what I'm talking about!" At which point I pressed a button on the side and it lit up. I said "thanks, I've got it from here."
Amazing!!! I just hope Microsoft has someone assigned to reading these forums! I tell ya, yesterday the Rep I spoke to after I said "I'd like to see the new Lumia Icon" was like "The what?"

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
....and they tried to push EDGE hard and insurance and wireless speakers and.............

I have noticed over the last couple of years they really try to upsell you at the Corp stores with all the accessories. At the store I was at in Phx yesterday all the reps were carrying around baskets that they would go in back and fill up with various cases, chargers, and other assorted BS when they brought out your phone to you. It seriously reminded me of a car lot in the 90's!! I could overhear all the other sales reps spouting the same scripted pitches to their customers. It didn't used to be like that.

Anyhow, I had a great experience buying my phone. The rep admitted he didn't know too much about the Icon yet as his training was scheduled the next day, but was quite familiair with WP and the other Nokia handsets. He provided a good demo of the unit and was able to answer all of the questions I had.

No major fanfare in the store about a new WP phone, but the Icon was out on the display floor next to the 2520. I was surprised to find out they had already sold out of the black, but they had a white in stock so I grabbed one.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by a Verizon last night to see the ICON. So I asked to see the ICON. He gave me that look like I asked him to solve for x. Then he asked, "which icon". I'm in a room full of android garbage and I told him the Lumia Icon. He then said, they don't have any Lumia's. Then I realized I was in one of those "almost" roadside Verizon stores. Better to hit a corporate store.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed over the last couple of years they really try to upsell you at the Corp stores with all the accessories. At the store I was at in Phx yesterday all the reps were carrying around baskets that they would go in back and fill up with various cases, chargers, and other assorted BS when they brought out your phone to you. It seriously reminded me of a car lot in the 90's!! I could overhear all the other sales reps spouting the same scripted pitches to their customers. It didn't used to be like that.

Yes it's annoying, but it's part of retail. The markup on accessories is very high. Maximizing profit is the goal of any retailer. Where I work we retail PCs. We don't push real hard, but we do make suggestions. Sometimes the profit on the computer is less than the profit on the extras.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So the end of my story. The store I was at earlier was called and they told me they had three. 45 min to get there. Wait in queue for hour and a half, they said in not allowed to buy a phone without a primary there (not even trying to buy plan or anything, just straight up buy a device full retail) so I had to call my mom to come up. 45 min later she gets there. They say I have to wait in queue again. Wait another 30 min. Spend 45 min telling the rep I don't want to upgrade my plan, don't want edge, don't want insurance, don't want their overpriced accessories. Wait another 30 minutes for him to find the phone in the back. He comes out saying "sorry, we actually don't have any" at this point my mom and I flip the **** out on them. They called another Verizon store that has one tells them to hold it. So then I had to drive another 45 min in the other direction. Spent an hour telling them I don't want their plans and all FINALLY GOT THE PHONE. this is on top of all the bull**** I wet through yesterday. I absolutely hate Verizon after these days, it is not a coincidence at this point when I've gotten absolute **** poor service from over 6 local Verizon stores. I'm just glad its over now, the Icon is an absolute beautiful device! I'm loving every minute with it!

Martog

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Glad you finally got the phone. I had to settle for white 928 as I am unable to hit up a corporate store on workdays due to 45 minute drive from my house. I wanted to see the 928 before I got it, I did not even bother looking at the Icon in person, just straight up ordered it right at midnight and got overnight delivery. Man, FedEx didn't even ring the doorbell and left a note on the door. I called up and gave them heck about it, so I signed the door tag, left it on there, the guy actually ran the doorbell when he did come, but he was already back at the road getting in his truck when I got to the door, probably pissed he had to come back out here. I know they have quota's pushes on from higher ups, but after having UPS leave my Xbox One on my doorstep when people were home and never ran the bell, yeah it gets old fast.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean about delivery services. They used to wait at the door for a bit, but now it seems like they're playing ding-dong-ditch. I can understand though as it saves them time which equals money.

jugghead62

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have left a note for the fedex driver allowing him to leave package in designated area.
I also left order number, tracking number as well and they have left verizon phones on my door step before.
Worth a try!

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My store got 3 in, I got the last one. The sales rep knew about the phone and was excited about the Icon.
I love windows phone, but to only get 3 phones in does not exude confidence in the platform.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
So the end of my story. .......

Wow what a nightmare! Microsoft's retail stores are so much easier! I went over on my lunch hour on launch day and I was helped immediately and it took about 10min total. When I told the sales lady I wanted the no contract price no additional questions were asked. She didn't even take the phone out of the box (or pull the unactivated sim card). Also the Microsoft phone warranty is awesome! Just smash your phone and get a new one for $50! Who needs screen protectors or cases, they cost half the price of a replacement phone. Note - you can only get 2 replacements over the 2 year period.

I remember when the 1520 came out I went over to the AT&T store to get one off contract, what a pain compared to the Microsoft store experience. It's so much better to NOT deal directly with the wireless companies. The same advice applies to Apple iPhones, much easier/more enjoyable experience to buy from Apple store than wireless carrier.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow what a nightmare! Microsoft's retail stores are so much easier! I went over on my lunch hour on launch day I was helped immediately and it took about 10min total. When I told the sales lady I wanted the no contract price no additional questions were asked. She didn't even take the phone out of the box (or pull the unactivated sim card). Also the Microsoft phone warranty is awesome! Just smash your phone and get a new one for $50! Who needs screen protectors or cases, they cost half the price of a replacement phone. Note - you can only get 2 replacements over the 2 year period.

I remember when the 1520 came out I went over to the AT&T store to get one off contract, what a pain compared to the Microsoft store experience. It's so much better to NOT deal directly with the wireless companies.

My problems with Microsoft complete is that there are no stores within an hour of me, and when you try to go through the Microsoft complete (at least with my Xbox this was the issue) they make you go into the store unless you pay for shipping. But I remember from when I got my 928 at a Microsoft store, such an awesome experience took like 10 minutes like you said!

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have left a note for the fedex driver allowing him to leave package in designated area.
I also left order number, tracking number as well and they have left verizon phones on my door step before.
Worth a try!

You can also sign up at Fed Ex and login from your PC or mobile device giving them permission to leave an "en route package" at the door when it arrives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077