Screen timeout maximum is 5 minutes

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Icon from the store this morning, and am back at work now! The biggest issue I have now is I put it on my charging stand, and it works great. Unfortunately, the screen keeps timing out after a minute. I found under settings->lock screen that there's a setting for this. It looks like 5 minutes is as long as I can set this to. I was really hoping to have it stay on all the time while on the stand while I'm here at work. Especially with no glance or notification light, I'm kind of wondering what the deal is with this.

Is there some workaround? Poking around, it looks like the 1520 has the same issue.

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to work on getting all this terminology down. Basically I have it on the start screen, and then five minutes later, the screen turns off. I don't want that to turn off.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes the maximum is 5 minutes. Even I wish the screen could time out after a longer time. Especially when apps are installing or downloading I hate it when the screen goes off.

What phone are you on? Goes from 30 secs, 1 min, 3min, 5min, 15min, 30min and never.
Which phone are you using? This is the Windows Phone 8 OS feature and should be same for all users.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The 928 under settings >lock screen, Screen times out after 30 sec, 1 min, 3 min, 15 min, 30 min and Never. Believe this came with the Amber update.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The 928 under settings >lock screen, Screen times out after 30 sec, 1 min, 3 min, 15 min, 30 min and Never. Believe this came with the Amber update.

I admit I don't have the Icon up and running yet (I'm trying to work....haha) but my 928 with the black update has those same settings. Disappointing to know the Icon won't.

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
That is a Verizon thing. They have done that to all of their Windows Phones and eventually they provide an update to increase the standby time. They do that because they don't think customers are smart enough to manage their devices screen time and they don't want customers coming in to complain about poor battery life if they turn it to never turn off and leave it. That is one thing I really hate about Verizon. They always think they know best!

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
That is a Verizon thing. They have done that to all of their Windows Phones and eventually they provide an update to increase the standby time. They do that because they don't think customers are smart enough to manage their devices screen time and they don't want customers coming in to complain about poor battery life if they turn it to never turn off and leave it. That is one thing I really hate about Verizon. They always think they know best!

As much as I enjoy a good Verizon rant, it looks like the 1520 on AT&T cuts down the options on this too: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/255359-keeping-screen-active.html

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you syncing with corporate email? An Exchange server can, and usually will, push out device required settings. Like timeouts and pin requirements. We have ours set to 5 minutes.

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Are you syncing with corporate email? An Exchange server can, and usually will, push out device required settings. Like timeouts and pin requirements. We have ours set to 5 minutes.
Yes... I am. I hadn't considered that. It's a Zimbra server, but I'm sure it has the same kind of Exchange behaviors. I'll have to look into this. Great suggestion.

As far as the "why", not all notifications will wake the screen up. For example, receiving an email to my personal outlook.com won't wake the screen, and I'd like to be able to see that.

Jeffrey Davidson

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I just tried removing my corporate account, and then restarted the phone. The 5 minute option was still the highest that was available. Not to say that that wasn't the initial cause, or it's a phone thing. Hell, I just don't know why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers