Great info for those going with the Edge program promo for existing customers

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who is going to utilize the edge program promo for existing 2 year contract customers. I just switched 3 lines over to the edge program utilizing the promo for existing customers. On 1 line we had been eligible for an upgrade since November so we didn't have to trade in a phone. My daughter had 16 months & I had 14 months left on our contracts, the promo states as long as you started your contract before 11-15-2014 you can trade "a smart phone" in good working condition and join the edge program. I went online & did some research & chatted with Verizon sales rep & found out that you can trade in "any" smart phone that is active on your line at the time of signing up for the edge program. I activated my old Trophy back to my line, trade it in & got the Icon. Giving my 928 to my younger daughter as an upgrade to her 822. I put oldest daughters old Iphone 4 back on her line, traded it in & sold her 4S on ebay for $250.

In total I now have 3 lines out of 5 on the Edge plan & will end up paying $180 more to upgrade 3 phones to newer ones next February, but I got $250 from selling the 4S & will get at least $85 for the 822. Which leaves me up $155.

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
sweet, I'm gonna be at the Verizon store bright & early this morning to snatch up a black Icon. I'm also switching to edge to get out of this contract. I still have 12 months left, so I can't miss this oportunity. Looks like I'm just gonna have to give them this HTC Droid DNA back because I don't have any extra Verizon smartphones laying around. Only switched to Android because WP didn't have Instagram yet, now I'm coming back home again

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Even better NEWS!!! You don't even need a smart phone to trade in. This is from the fine print on the Verizon Edge FAQ page:

*If the phone that was on your line at the time you placed your Verizon Edge order is a basic phone, you don?t need to return it to participate in Early Edge Open Enrollment. Visit our Device Recycling page for more information about trade in and recycling options for your used devices

This means grab a Verizon feature phone from ebay or craigslist activate it on your line, join the edge program, keep it & activate it on another line, join the edge program, keep it etc....

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Even better NEWS!!! You don't even need a smart phone to trade in. This is from the fine print on the Verizon Edge FAQ page:

*If the phone that was on your line at the time you placed your Verizon Edge order is a basic phone, you don’t need to return it to participate in Early Edge Open Enrollment. Visit our Device Recycling page for more information about trade in and recycling options for your used devices

This means grab a Verizon feature phone from ebay or craigslist activate it on your line, join the edge program, keep it & activate it on another line, join the edge program, keep it etc....

I'm on craigslist now trying to get a cheap Verizon phone with a good ESN right quick, I hope this works. If it does, I can keep HTC Droid DNA and sell it

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For anyone who is going to utilize the edge program promo for existing 2 year contract customers. I just switched 3 lines over to the edge program utilizing the promo for existing customers. On 1 line we had been eligible for an upgrade since November so we didn't have to trade in a phone. My daughter had 16 months & I had 14 months left on our contracts, the promo states as long as you started your contract before 11-15-2014 you can trade "a smart phone" in good working condition and join the edge program. I went online & did some research & chatted with Verizon sales rep & found out that you can trade in "any" smart phone that is active on your line at the time of signing up for the edge program. I activated my old Trophy back to my line, trade it in & got the Icon. Giving my 928 to my younger daughter as an upgrade to her 822. I put oldest daughters old Iphone 4 back on her line, traded it in & sold her 4S on ebay for $250.

In total I now have 3 lines out of 5 on the Edge plan & will end up paying $180 more to upgrade 3 phones to newer ones next February, but I got $250 from selling the 4S & will get at least $85 for the 822. Which leaves me up $155.

Did Verizon charge you activation fees for switching back to the trophy and iphone 4?

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I still don't get the allure of the Edge program. If you want to get in to that program, that means you want the latest and greatest phones and switch a good amount. If you do that, then you'll come out better selling your current phone and plunking that cash down on the latest out of contract phone...AND you actually own the phone. I've never paid more than a couple hundred dollars for the latest greatest off contract in the last two years, and I switch phones A LOT. Hmmmmm

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I still don't get the allure of the Edge program. If you want to get in to that program, that means you want the latest and greatest phones and switch a good amount. If you do that, then you'll come out better selling your current phone and plunking that cash down on the latest out of contract phone...AND you actually own the phone. I've never paid more than a couple hundred dollars for the latest greatest off contract in the last two years, and I switch phones A LOT. Hmmmmm

Between the hassles of praying for a good buyer who doesn't cause you issues, and the high costs of fees for eBay, PayPal, etc., the allure of Edge can be quite strong. I'm looking forward to not having to worry about those things on the next upgrade.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The allure is simple I can get a new phone with 24 months no intrest payments, plus up to $20 discount on acces fees I can pay off the whole amount after 30 days and keep using the phone for as long as I like, but I still get the access fee discount after I pay it off. So you could get a new phone on the Edge program, get up to $20 off your access fee, pay off the phone after 30 days, keep the phone & access fee discount. So to recap, intrest free 24 month financing, able to trade it in after you pay off 1/2 the retail price for a new phone any time after 30 days, pay off in full, keep using the phone & keep your access discount & you don't have to trade it in when you want to get a new phone on a new edge contract or you can sell it & keep the cash.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My guess is you will lose your access discount when you get your next phone tho. Verizon is taking a $120-240 hit to get you to change now, banking on you wanting a new phone sooner rather then later.

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I got my Icon on Saturday, I had a HTC Droid DNA, with 11 months left on my contract. I caught a Samsung Fascinate in excellent condition on Craigslist for $50, put it on my DNA line, removed the DNA, then after the customer service dude confirmed that the Fascinate was activated and the DNA was free with a clean ESN, I paused for a second and then said "Now I Want The Black Lumia Icon and I wanna switch my contract to the EDGE situation". He was pissed off and told me I trying to "Buck The System". I said "why not, Verizon's been robbing it's customers for years". Anyway, I got my Icon. But that CS dude was mad all the way until I left. He really took it personal though, like he was personally taking a loss. Now I'm about to sell this DNA on eBay for a couple of dollars. Win-Win for me.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I got my Icon on Saturday, I had a HTC Droid DNA, with 11 months left on my contract. I caught a Samsung Fascinate in excellent condition on Craigslist for $50, put it on my DNA line, removed the DNA, then after the customer service dude confirmed that the Fascinate was activated and the DNA was free with a clean ESN, I paused for a second and then said "Now I Want The Black Lumia Icon and I wanna switch my contract to the EDGE situation". He was pissed off and told me I trying to "Buck The System". I said "why not, Verizon's been robbing it's customers for years". Anyway, I got my Icon. But that CS dude was mad all the way until I left. He really took it personal though, like he was personally taking a loss. Now I'm about to sell this DNA on eBay for a couple of dollars. Win-Win for me.

Wow, you really won! You beat The Man. Congratulations!!! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes