04-14-2014 03:28 AM
87 1234
tools
    Well I'm not switching to icon, but instead wait for new 8.1 devices.. Atm on Android and growing so tired of flashing different roms n kernels to make da phone work. Not to mention taking backups if /when the rom crashes forcing you to restore previous backup.. Waiting eagerly to switch :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    02-21-2014 02:54 PM
    Well I'm not switching to icon, but instead wait for new 8.1 devices.. Atm on Android and growing so tired of flashing different roms n kernels to make da phone work. Not to mention taking backups if /when the rom crashes forcing you to restore previous backup.. Waiting eagerly to switch :-)

I take it you are not on Verizon then?

Or, you simply don't mind waiting for 6 months.

You do realize the Icon will get the 8.1 update.
    Truman82 likes this.
    02-21-2014 03:00 PM
    Sure it gets it, but here in Finland we have... Different carriers ;-)

02-21-2014 03:03 PM
    I live WP now. My most recent jump into the world of Android was with the Note 3. It only took me about a month to realize not much had changed. I seriously spent two weeks trying things on the phone in the end I would up with the same setup I used on my EVO Shift. My big holdup was the big screen. I just had to have a big screen device. I wont go back to Android again at this point. I sold the Note 3 and GG watch to buy me a Lumina 1520 on launch day. I am very happy with WP 8 as is. The gimmicky options on the Note 3 killed the battery and performance. Why have a high end phone if you can't use the cool stuff. With a WP what you get works and works well. I would bet you wont regret the move. Here is the good thing you have a couple of weeks to decide so give it a try. All you have to loose is the restocking fee.
    cbreze and rdubmu like this.
    02-21-2014 06:01 PM
    I just made the switch from Android to WP. So far I am happy. No regrets. Not having an issue with finding apps. The phone is easy to setup. Biggest thing is that the icon is the best build quality I have had in a phone for years. I am still learning everything windows. Looking for a good lock screen app right now. But thats about it right now.
    02-22-2014 11:12 AM
    Wondering if those former android users will miss all the customizations android has available. I liked to change launchers and UI's frequently which made it seem like a fresh new device . Changing tile sizes/positions or colors is about all you can do with your home screen on WP. Does anyone think they might miss all the customizations?
    02-22-2014 11:33 AM
    After being on Android since the original Motorola Droid in 2009, I was expecting a much greater learning curve than I have actually experienced. Never a power user, but certainly engrained in the OS, I just assumed the Android way was the best way. I am finding so many things about WP that just make sense to me. The native apps, just like the OS, seem to be designed around the premise of providing the user with enough snippets of information to only require a quick glance (I know, a dirty word in this forum) to find what they need without having to wait to open the entire app.

For the most part the design flows well, and the included Nokia and Bing apps surprised me. I wasn't expecting much from them.

I haven't had too much difficulty emulating functionality of my other phones, and in many cases find the WP way more intuitive so that I don't even need or want some of the functionality I had on Android. Because of this, I don't find the perceived lack of apps to be an issue for me.

Of course this is just one persons option, and no OS can be all things to all people, but I have been quite pleased with WP so far, and look forward to all that it offers.
    mpt15 and JBConforti like this.
    02-22-2014 11:54 AM
    I am fresh off the android wagon with a new Icon. So far I've not found anything about the device or the OS that makes me think I made a mistake switching to WP. OS responds quickly and the device is a pleasure to use.
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    02-22-2014 02:14 PM
    Wondering if those former android users will miss all the customizations android has available. I liked to change launchers and UI's frequently which made it seem like a fresh new device . Changing tile sizes/positions or colors is about all you can do with your home screen on WP. Does anyone think they might miss all the customizations?
    I have been on Android since VZW released the original Droid. Funny thing is that all my phones since, I always had the home screen set up the same way. So I am enjoying a completely different OS.
    02-22-2014 02:44 PM
    Yea, I went to Verizon today with every intention of buying off contract if I liked what I saw. After fiddling with the phone for half an hour, I realized that I'm just an Android guy. I enjoy the customization and bigger screen of the Note 3 too much to leave. I hadn't realized I had become that used to the large screen until I picked up the Lumia. It was an ok feeling phone, but flashbacks of the 920 crept in when I turned it on. Will wait to see what 8.1 brings...haven't written wp off just yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    02-22-2014 03:06 PM
    I do.

I haven't yet moved over to daily driver starts, but I use WP8 everyday. I absolutely miss the control I would have on Android.

I feel the same when I'm using iOS.
    02-22-2014 03:49 PM
    The one thing that almost goes unnoticed is the lack of the "bugginess" or gltches I experienced with all of my Android devices. I told my brother today, with Android, the longer I owned a device the laggier and buggier it became. With my WP devices, they seem to actually improve over time. Seems the OS is far more efficient with resources.
    Last edited by TheZuneLune; 02-22-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Astropin and TechAbstract like this.
    02-22-2014 04:20 PM
    Well, I'm off the wagon for at least 2 weeks anyway, or longer if it grows on me. Time will tell. Nice so far, but I have a lot to do with setting it up to get it to my comfort zone.
    Funny but when I went to the Verizon corp store(only one in town) all they had were 4 white ones. I wanted black. As I was pondering my next move the delivery guy arrives and drops off a shipment of various phones and accessories including 4 more black icons. So walked out with one.
    02-22-2014 05:56 PM
    I can honestly say that this is the greatest smartphone I've ever used. It's my first WP (coming from a long line of Android phones) and I don't miss Android at all. Eveytime I see new people talking about having to adjust to it I'm like "huh"? I took to it without a hiccup.....and I'm old (approaching 50).
    Starrbuck likes this.
    03-01-2014 11:48 PM
    Yes , I had been on that android wagon for a few years and must say it is damn fine to be off. Furthermore the icon was very much worth the wait. Awesome device. Just sold my "ONE" and I'm learning rather quickly the cool things about WP. No regrets falling off that turnip truck, errr..wagon.
    03-02-2014 12:26 AM
    So a little over a week in and after my router was replaced i have no bugs with the phone. the only thing i'm missing is individual volume control. i know its supposed to be coming with the updates. But i miss it currently. Not having notifications area doesnt bother me. I do miss my blinking LED though. The phone is almost always on me so not that big of a deal. Apps is the next issue. Well its not really an issue. I didnt use many on android but i am missing a few banking apps. General use of the phone though is great. I dont use google services so i dont have any issue there either but i could see it posing some issues for those deeply invested into googles products and services. Also the phone works very well with my bluetooth setup in my car. Song info is always displayed correctly even when i'm streaming pandora, cant say the same for my android devices.

Also this is coming from and LG G2 which specwise is a top of the line phone, prior to that a droid razr maxx, and iphone 4s(7months of hell) and an HTC Evo.
    03-02-2014 08:18 AM
    When i first bought my Evo i was crazy about customizing it. Then i got to one setup and stuck with it or a slight variation of it after about 3 months in of owning it. Even with new roms and such i went back to the same basic setup that worked for me. Same when i was on windows mobile found a nice setup i liked a stuck with it.
    03-02-2014 08:22 AM
    Also this is coming from and LG G2 which specwise is a top of the line phone, prior to that a droid razr maxx, and iphone 4s(7months of hell) and an HTC Evo.
    I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I previously had an iPhone 4 on AT&T I lived with way too long. When I switched to Verizon I got an iPhone 5 and never was happy with the screen size and battery life. I joined EDGE, traded in that iPhone 5, and haven't looked back. Also looking forward to being able to upgrade more often as I'm a gadget geek!!
    rhythmsyndicate likes this.
    03-02-2014 08:25 AM
    I don't miss it at all. I like my gadgets to work and be trouble free. It's like a guy who's constantly working on a muscle car... 3-4 days out of the week, he's driving his sh*t box because his muscle car is on jacks being tinkered with. What good is it if you're not using it?
    03-02-2014 08:39 AM
    http://www.phonedog.com/2014/02/27/i...windows-phone/

I agree with a lot what is said above.
    I find myself going back and forth between android and my Lumia 920.

I am on T-Mobile USA now and there is only the 925 and 521 available. Basically no choices as the 925 doesn't have enough memory. I currently have the LG G2. The things I hate most about it is: the keyboards, I have tried Swiftkey, Google keyboard and others and nothing comes close to the windows phone keyboard and autocorrect. Email, texting sucks on android. And lastly I am fully in grained in Microsoft's ecosystem. If I set up my outlook account using Exchange. Not all my calendars sync. If I set up my account using the outlook.com app. Contacts are read only but it syncs all my calendars. So I have both set up. Also I hate the exchange rules my company set up too where I have to have a password.

I find that windows phone does contacts, email and text better. Android does apps better. The fb app on windows phone is horrible verses the android app. Other apps that I need for work just are not available. Because the basics are well done, I plan to go back to windows phone permanently if Nokia ever releases a Icon type or device on tmobile

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    03-02-2014 08:40 AM
    I've been on Android for about 5 years. My first phone I was customizing all the time - launchers, ROMs, kernels, - trying to get most out of hardware and remove Verizon cruft. As Android has matured, I've done less and less of this. At this point, I haven't flashed a new ROM in over a year. I set up my phone and stick with it. Occasionally, I'll change my background or load a live wallpaper, but that's about it. I think it comes down to all this customizing takes time and work, and there are always tradeoffs when you flash ROMs. Since I depend on my phone for my business, it has to work all the time, so I now just tend to pick the phone I like and keep it primarily stock.

Since I'm on Verizon, I am intrigued by Icon, but I think I need to see 8.1 before I would pull the trigger. Everything I've read sounds great. If it is, I may switch.

03-02-2014 11:23 AM
    Same experience here. Could say that I grew tired of limitless choices android gives, not to mention all kind of Roms out there. Atm settled on miui as it is stable, unlike those 4.4.x roms. Waiting for 8.1 devices to make decision about should I buy new hw or go after 1020 while it's price is cut down. I do appreciate walled gardens now, after being lost in endless sea of customization android offers. Maybe some do like it, but I don't have the time for it anymore. Nor patience.

03-03-2014 02:50 PM
    It's so funny how everyone talks as if Windows Mobile (now just Windows Phone) is the new kid on the block.

NO NO NO! LOL

Windows Mobile Phones were around before iOS and Android were a wet dream. I had WM5 over 6 years ago with the Treo 700wx and Windows was out for years before that with Windows CE, etc.
    It's just that iOS and Android became the FAD and the carriers seem to favor iOS and Android when WP7 came out and people kind of lost interest at the moment.

It's not that Windows Phone is the new kid on the block. No. It is just making a comeback with a vengeance and I think Microsoft buying Nokia was a great idea for them.
    Dadstar0410 and anon6002755 like this.
    03-03-2014 09:50 PM

I clearly miss my widgets.. Imo Live tiles is only simple widgets (I know on android widgets normally isn't part of the app)..

I changed from my sgs3 almost a year ago.

I really miss the smart part of smartphones - no automatic function like on swip/tasker on android and even meebots on symbian - when..do.. Is the nearest I could find, but I have manually send the text.

The total lack of changing default app / app integration is quite annoying (like if I get an email from Facebook I cannot use the app to automatic open and if I want to use another browser as default or calendar, to bad.

I also use WP for work use, and it pains me to see MS is worse than android (tasks , word (zooming is limited, calendar is missing week view and month view is not showing the actually appointments).

Also m NAS functionality is quite worse since of the,strange file system (and I cannot use,different ports,on the browser)

In general if meet something I would like different on android this is possible to find a work around or app on WP there is a lot of dead ends.

On the app side, many apps is missing on national level (android and IOS always is there , WP is rarely supports). Also I haven't found any app working better on WP than android , at best they are equal, but like tapatalk they are mostly worse.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk
    03-04-2014 12:46 AM
    It's so funny how everyone talks as if Windows Mobile (now just Windows Phone) is the new kid on the block.

NO NO NO! LOL
    Absolutely true! Windows Phone replaced Windows Mobile which was started in 1990. When I was still with Sprint, back in around the year 2000 or so, I had a Windows Mobile phone, but damned if I can remember what brand or model it was.

EDIT: I found it! It was a Hitachi and it is the first picture on this page:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/w...cles/1295.aspx

And here's a full review on it:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/hitachi_G1000.htm

You people who think that Microsoft is a newbie at mobile phones might want to brush up on your history!

Windows Mobile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    TrueMetalGeek likes this.
    03-04-2014 09:32 AM
87 1234