04-14-2014 03:28 AM
87 1234
tools
    It's so funny how everyone talks as if Windows Mobile (now just Windows Phone) is the new kid on the block.

NO NO NO! LOL

Windows Mobile Phones were around before iOS and Android were a wet dream. I had WM5 over 6 years ago with the Treo 700wx and Windows was out for years before that with Windows CE, etc.
    It's just that iOS and Android became the FAD and the carriers seem to favor iOS and Android when WP7 came out and people kind of lost interest at the moment.

It's not that Windows Phone is the new kid on the block. No. It is just making a comeback with a vengeance and I think Microsoft buying Nokia was a great idea for them.
    I remember those days. I had a Windows CE device that I thought was revolutionary. Monochrome baby!
    TrueMetalGeek likes this.
    03-04-2014 04:51 PM
    Typing with a stylus now those were the days. Seriously tho windows mobile does go back several years, no denying that. Some of the designs were revolutionary for the time. Had an HP with a 3" screen in candy bar form, full qwerty, running windows 5. Great phone and awesome kb.(for that time) The HTC titan tilt. Nice design. Worked well. No winmo is definitely not the new kid on the block at all, but still revolutionary imo.
    03-04-2014 05:41 PM
    I have been trolling the WPCentral site and forums for quite a while, and I finally made the switch to the Icon just a few days ago and thus decided to create an account here and get legit haha! Like many here, I was a crack flasher on Android as it does have a very robust Dev community. I found XDA and starting flashing first the OG Droid, and then the red headed stepchild of Verizon...the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Eventually I got tired of flashing especially after Google dropped support for the Gnex and I was running a Frankenstein version of KitKat 4.4.2 with ancient radios. I had a WP7 Samsung Focus that Microsoft sent to me for free because I have been a Microsoft fan boy all these years and I liked it, the screen was pretty stellar for its time, so I have always kept my eye on WP. I primarily switched to the Icon because of the camera and I didn't want to switch carriers, so far I have not been disappointed in the least. Right now the only thing I miss from Android is Google Now, I used it pretty extensively in almost every aspect of my phone from directions, to reminders, playing music/YouTube, scores etc. I am really looking forward to WP8.1, as after poring over all of the leaks and videos it looks like it will really bring the platform on par with the competition. WP might still be third in the smartphone race, but quite frankly I could care less as long as it offers what I need and after being an IT guy for 20 something years I have learned to never count Microsoft out. For all of you on the fence...select three devices and put them side by side and decide what the most important features are for you and then go with it...there will always be the next great thing on the horizon.

A.
    03-04-2014 06:48 PM
    Wondering if those former android users will miss all the customizations android has available. I liked to change launchers and UI's frequently which made it seem like a fresh new device . Changing tile sizes/positions or colors is about all you can do with your home screen on WP. Does anyone think they might miss all the customizations?
    I don't. It was cool at first, but it started to slow down my device. Sometimes Droid devices felt like a really old Windows OS. Kind of ironic.
    03-04-2014 07:14 PM
    I'm an Outlook user. After 4 years of fighting Android, Google and Outlook to play nice together I FINALLY have a phone that syncs my calendar and contacts without a major PITA effort.

I like this phone (929) ALOT!! I I hated the tiles when win8.0 came out. I finally decided they are here to stay so I better embrace them. Have Win8 on my desktop and am taking the time to put all my apps on tiles and the desktop for data files and whatever. Seems to be working out OK. The tiles on the Lumia 929 are awesome. A small tile for people. I LOVE it! Now I need to play with making tiles for webistes.

The phone is crisp, clear and responsive. BEST phone I have ever owned.
    03-12-2014 06:43 AM
    Maybe it's an "unlearning curve" as folks who've learned to do things like turn WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS off when not in use to extend battery life learn to do nothing because Windows Phone manages it better (and offers fewer opportunities for poorly designed apps to waste power in the background).

I jest above, but only somewhat. When I moved to WP from Windows Mobile, I had to learn to let go of the degree of customizability I had. At first, I saw WP was really limiting; later, I decided that it was liberating. I no longer spent time backing up my data, finding a good ROM, flashing it, and restoring things. Treating my phone like my TV instead of like my computer has been a good thing overall.
    This exactly what I love about WP. Not having to waste time tinkering just lets you get on with more important stuff!
    03-12-2014 06:57 AM
    I'm a .NET developer by trade so I plan to take a stab at native Windows Phone development (none of this web app nonsense).
    I'm a bit late here, but I'm curious on how this goes for you. I'm attempting to do the same. :]
    03-12-2014 10:12 AM
    Yeah, I want to write an app too. Just need a good idea..
    03-12-2014 11:10 AM
    I'm still on the wagon and debating on trying the icon as my first windows phone. Ive been researching apps and seeing what's compatible and which ones are not.
    I and perhaps many others are thinking of switching to WP. Would love to hear how the switch is going for ya so far.
    Don't fall, jump off! I jumped off the Android wagon this past summer screaming, "Whoo! Hooo!", when I got the 928.

On a more serious note. I was hesitant at first too, mainly due to the perceived lack of apps for Windows Phones. That app gap has closed significantly. I have been able to duplicate everything my Galaxy Note II did app-wise except for one. That is using my Eye-Fi card with my Icon. Right now Eye-Fi isn't going to support Windows Phone. So I can't upload pictures from my Pentax waterproof camera directly to my phone. I have to wait until I get home and it connects with my WiFi and uploads them to my computer.

Once you switch, you will be surprised how many apps you ACTUALLY use. I can pay for Starbucks (third party app), start my car (Onstar), connect to my Pebble smart watch (third party app), and my daughter actually likes my Icon better than my wife's Galaxy S3. It even has what is called "Kid's Corner.". It's a way to lock down the phone to only the apps you feel comfortable with your child using.

I can also wirelessly charge at home AND in my car.
    03-13-2014 02:23 AM
    Yeah, I started this thread right before I "jumped" off the wagon. Very happy with the icon and WP in general. Since I don't use it for work or business I may have lesser demanding needs than some others. Don't need to make a power point, lol. What it does tho, it does well and has me covered so far. I don't miss android at all after using 3 different devices over there over the years. The icon looks like a real keeper.
    Chrono803 likes this.
    03-13-2014 11:14 AM
    I just made the switch from Android to WP. So far I am happy. No regrets. Not having an issue with finding apps. The phone is easy to setup. Biggest thing is that the icon is the best build quality I have had in a phone for years. I am still learning everything windows. Looking for a good lock screen app right now. But thats about it right now.
    Try Lockmix - totally customization for your lock screen - I highly recommend it.
    03-13-2014 04:54 PM
    Would not even consider Android as a business tool. Just Google Android security risks.

Secret life of phones: how yours contacts 315 servers a day - Channel 4 News
    If you don't believe that every app that has ads in it, regardless of platform, is doing this then you're extremely nave.

An open platform is going to carry bigger risks for gullible users. 90% of malware on Android requires active user interaction to do it's job. You first have to download the app and then grant it permission to do whatever it is it want's to do. And in a business environment administrators are able to lock devices down just as they do with computers. Just like on Windows (which is not at all open but still subject to a plethora or malware), if you're careless you're going to get bit. Does that mean Windows sucks for business as well? Not necessarily. Just sayin'.
    03-15-2014 09:37 AM
    If you don't believe that every app that has ads in it, regardless of platform, is doing this then you're extremely nave.
    You are throwing all apps of all types including the platforms they run on into a single basket. That is unwise.

I've done this experiment myself, by logging the network traffic going from my devices through my network gateway. There are huge differences. Android is even pretty chatty when nothing is installed. In contrast to Android, the apps on WP are pretty much silent when the device is not in use.

Where I agree is that the apps themselves are more important than the platform. If you use Facebook, your data will be harvested, no matter what platform you use. That is simply a result of Facebook's business model. That will be true of any app if it is based on the same business model.

Apps with adds are impossible to categorize without taking a closer look. The amount of sniffing going on depends on the add network being used AND the platform (some things are a lot harder or impossible to do on WP and iOS).
    03-15-2014 10:27 AM
    An open platform is going to carry bigger risks for gullible users. 90% of malware on Android requires active user interaction to do it's job. You first have to download the app and then grant it permission to do whatever it is it want's to do.
    I bet 99% or more of users don't think twice when they grant an app permission to do things. That doesn't make them gullible. They wouldn't be downloading and using the app if they didn't allow it functionality.

Businesses almost exclusively use BlackBerry because it's a mature, secure platform.
    03-16-2014 08:58 AM
    I bet 99% or more of users don't think twice when they grant an app permission to do things. That doesn't make them gullible. They wouldn't be downloading and using the app if they didn't allow it functionality.
    That's most likely true than not. I know I just just the "continue" button on app permissions.

Unless it's changed in WP8, but I as far as I recall from WP7 that the SDK didn't allow a developer to be able to mess with any core OS functionality. There were wrappers around things such as contacts and such, but there wasn't complete control.
    Starrbuck likes this.
    03-17-2014 08:22 AM
    So this weekend I started to question why I'm sticking with my Nexus 5. The camera mostly. Boy did it suck on night shots. I own a Lumia 928 and used it one night. Flash and pictures were clear. The next night on Nexus 5, camera did poor. I'm kinda upset that some of those pics were taken on poor camera.

I really should take the plunge. Got the SIM, the Internet Sharing enabled (http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...obile-sim.html). The Lumia gave me better night shots.
    03-17-2014 12:41 PM
    Businesses almost exclusively use BlackBerry because it's a mature, secure platform.
    Most businesses shifted to BYOD policy in last couple years. Blackberry only remains prevalent in financial businesses and government.
    Last edited by eric12341; 03-17-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    ajb1965 likes this.
    03-17-2014 01:41 PM
    Most businesses shifted to BYOD policy in last couple years. Blackberry only remains prevalent in financial businesses and government.

I would argue that any people don't like using BYOD because the business has a say over your personal information on the device as well.

Unless you have a link with some statistics, I can't be sure..
    Last edited by eric12341; 03-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    03-17-2014 04:26 PM
    [warn]Let's keep the personal attacks or insults to a minimum of zero, we don't do that here[/warn]
    Starrbuck likes this.
    03-17-2014 04:40 PM
    I bought a Nokia 2520 a few weeks ago and really like it. Other than my laptops running W 8.1, I haven't had any windows devices since my last Windows Pocket PC about 10 years ago. I really want to jump ship, but there is one App that I really need..an app for my OBDII blue tooth device I use to tune my cars and diagnose trouble codes. The one I currently use is called Torque Pro. Any suggestions? If I can find something compatible I would gladly jump ship to the Icon. I might just have to do it anyway and buy a cheap android device just for that purpose.
    03-26-2014 08:40 AM
    I would argue that any people don't like using BYOD because the business has a say over your personal information on the device as well.

Unless you have a link with some statistics, I can't be sure..
    Speaking of stats, do you have a link to back up yours? Blackberry presence in enterprise and government is rapidly eroding (how could it not be when it's sitting at only 1.7%?). BYOD is in fact starting to become the norm in business and and as unbelievable as it sounds, Apple is gaining the most ground in enterprise atm.
    03-26-2014 09:43 AM

Same could be said of Windows. Does that mean it's terribly unsecure and sucks? Not necessarily, yet users of other platforms are quick to throw that accusation at Android for the same reason.
    03-26-2014 09:44 AM
    Just took the plunge and bought a black Icon. Time to put Android behind me. It should be here on Friday. Looking forward to the change. My Lumia 2520 has been a nice device, and will have a little brother soon! I'll wait a few weeks before selling my LG G2...just in case, but I played with the Icon at the Verizon store and really liked it.

Sent from my P6095 using Tapatalk
    04-03-2014 02:46 AM
    Just took the plunge and bought a black Icon. I'll wait a few weeks before selling my LG G2...just in case,

Sent from my P6095 using Tapatalk
    Welcome, I think you'll really like the icon. Coming from android myself I picked up the icon on February 22nd., and thinking id hold onto my HTC ONE for awhile just in case the new relationship was lacking somehow. Well after one full day I said "F" the one. No point in keeping it as I'll never use it again, and I listed it and sold it in two days and shipped it out. Very pleased with this new OS and my icon. Enjoy yours! And 8.1 when it comes.
    04-03-2014 11:16 AM
    Welcome, I think you'll really like the icon. Coming from android myself I picked up the icon on February 22nd., and thinking id hold onto my HTC ONE for awhile just in case the new relationship was lacking somehow. Well after one full day I said "F" the one. No point in keeping it as I'll never use it again, and I listed it and sold it in two days and shipped it out. Very pleased with this new OS and my icon. Enjoy yours! And 8.1 when it comes.
    I am really liking my new Icon. I didn't really think I would as my G2 was a damn good phone. I think the 2 phones have similar specs, but the I am really liking the windows OS better. Live tiles is exactly what I wanted, but could never get on my android devices. I have been assimilated.
    04-11-2014 12:51 AM
87 1234