04-14-2014 03:28 AM
87 ... 234
tools
    Used to live in the android specs war with my rooted galaxy s 2. Then wondered which WP to get. First I was intrigued by high spec WP. Then I read some reviews and user experiences and realized high end specs in WP only makes the phone cost more. The phone flies even with single core.
    So in the end I chose the one which gives most features for the money, not most high specs.
    Tho I guess there are people who chooses their phones spec wise. Nothing wrong in it, if it can convert someone to this awesome OS;)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp
    04-11-2014 02:06 AM
    I'm still on the wagon and debating on trying the icon as my first windows phone. Ive been researching apps and seeing what's compatible and which ones are not.
    I and perhaps many others are thinking of switching to WP. Would love to hear how the switch is going for ya so far.
    I switched from Android (Samsung Note II) to a 928 back in August. Initially, it was a little hard at first, mainly because there were several apps that I used that didn't come on WP8. In she even months that has passed since coming over to the Darkside, all of the apps that mattered to me were available except for one. As of right now, Eye-Fi isn't planning on supporting WP8. I had to "settle" for third party apps for Starbucks and Pebble, but they work really well so, no complaints there. I love the sync with OneDrive. I was an early adopter, so I got 25GB free and I use OneNote almost daily. One issue I wish they would fix is that I can only attach pictures and video in emails. If I want to send an Office document, I have to share it by sending a link; clunky and I can't send documents in a reply.

I switched from Android for two reasons. First, Android is just to fractured. Each phone maker has its own skin and because of this, everything seems haphazard. Sure I can customize and have widgets and multiple screens, but WP allows be to use the live tiles which I find easier to work with. Secondly, was I am running Windows 8 on my desktop and (at the time) my laptop. Since I was already in the Microsoft ecosystem, making the jump to WP was easier. Microsoft's ecosystem is continuing to evolve an jumping to WP seemed like a good idea.

Whenever I pick up my wife's GS3, I feel like I'm using a old clunky phone. Learning WP8 was not that hard. Had Microsoft came out with a decent WP back in 2007/8, I think Android would be in a distant third an not WP.
    04-12-2014 02:27 AM
    As much as I want to switch, there is still a pretty big "App Gap" for my purposes; and, believe me, I want to change. I have toyed with the 521 I bought and love the speed and simplicity; but I cannot make it my main phone now. Here is a list of "my personal app gap"
    American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Budget Rental Car (though Avis is present, same company), Autoweek, Yahoo Mail! (don't laugh), Autotrader, A few banks (Southeast USA) and finally SiriusXM.

Of these, only Autoweek and Autotrader are probably "fluff." The other apps are almost needed if one travels a lot. Now, perhaps there is a third party App that does these; but I didn't find them. If I throw my Tablet apps in, then this list gets quite a bit bigger.
    04-12-2014 08:46 PM
    As much as I want to switch, there is still a pretty big "App Gap" for my purposes; and, believe me, I want to change. I have toyed with the 521 I bought and love the speed and simplicity; but I cannot make it my main phone now. Here is a list of "my personal app gap"
    American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Budget Rental Car (though Avis is present, same company), Autoweek, Yahoo Mail! (don't laugh), Autotrader, A few banks (Southeast USA) and finally SiriusXM.

Of these, only Autoweek and Autotrader are probably "fluff." The other apps are almost needed if one travels a lot. Now, perhaps there is a third party App that does these; but I didn't find them. If I throw my Tablet apps in, then this list gets quite a bit bigger.

I also agree with it, and even Android has still the app gap when it comes to premium apps.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    04-12-2014 09:47 PM
    ^I mean, Android has an app gap with iOS when it comes to premium apps.

04-12-2014 09:48 PM
    No doubt almost every app comes for iOS first. But I really think the ones I mentioned are pretty "common" apps. SiriusXM used to work; but that seems to be related to SiriusXM themselves. However, they have apps for Android and iOS. The travel stuff is really a big deal. It's going to be hard to transition business people to a platform that doesn't have a lot of this type of app stuff. Sure, I can log into the web page with IE 11, but that's kind of not the point of having apps.

I really don't understand the anti-Microsoft thing from people. MSFT is, IMO, a lot more benign than GOOG. But somehow, people still hate MSFT (though, they are one of the only AAA ratings left in the USA according to S&P).
    04-13-2014 07:53 AM
    No doubt almost every app comes for iOS first. But I really think the ones I mentioned are pretty "common" apps. SiriusXM used to work; but that seems to be related to SiriusXM themselves. However, they have apps for Android and iOS. The travel stuff is really a big deal. It's going to be hard to transition business people to a platform that doesn't have a lot of this type of app stuff. Sure, I can log into the web page with IE 11, but that's kind of not the point of having apps.

I really don't understand the anti-Microsoft thing from people. MSFT is, IMO, a lot more benign than GOOG. But somehow, people still hate MSFT (though, they are one of the only AAA ratings left in the USA according to S&P).
    That's one of the bigger issues of WP, which is niche or local apps. O know I would like Dish Network to have an app but they don't.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    04-13-2014 08:46 AM
    There are basically 3 "regional" banks in the coastal Georgia area: Regions, BB&T, and Suntrust; none of which are represented in the App store. We do have a Bank of America and a Wells Fargo which are more national banks and are thus represented. However, the three regional banks are not exactly tiny banks either.

Until WP gets more of what I would consider mainstream apps, I just don't see myself switching as much as I'd like to do so. What would be the point of switching? I'm really surprised that there are so many comments that say "I haven't had any problems with apps." That's nice and I'm happy it works for those people; but really, I didn't think I was so far out there in "app land" myself. Until I did a complete inventory, I thought I could easily switch. How is it that WP has been out for about 18 months and no apps like I mentioned? Even worse if you factor in 7.5 was released 3.5 years ago. I'm not sure of the answer and what MSFT will have to do to get buy-in from companies like AMEX, Marriott, etc; but they'd better do so and do so quickly or even the nice stuff in 8.1 won't take hold.

I'm a pretty average user, perhaps below average in number of apps on my phone, and if 40-50% of the apps I depend on are not there, then I don't see a lot of people switching when they do an inventory like I did. I hope in the next few months this will change; but, being that WP is < 5% of market share, what motivation do companies like I mentioned have to develop an app? Unfortunately, Apple has take a LOT of the enterprise phone from Blackberry, the one shot that MSFT may have had is slowly moving away. Don't confuse this as being anti-WP, quite the contrary, I would like to switch, but right now the ecosystem STILL isn't developed enough (same issue I had when I last looked at moving over in Dec 2012).

ps..I'd be very happy if I'm wrong...Competition is good for all.
    A895 likes this.
    04-13-2014 09:20 AM
    There are basically 3 "regional" banks in the coastal Georgia area: Regions, BB&T, and Suntrust; none of which are represented in the App store. We do have a Bank of America and a Wells Fargo which are more national banks and are thus represented. However, the three regional banks are not exactly tiny banks either.

Until WP gets more of what I would consider mainstream apps, I just don't see myself switching as much as I'd like to do so. What would be the point of switching? I'm really surprised that there are so many comments that say "I haven't had any problems with apps." That's nice and I'm happy it works for those people; but really, I didn't think I was so far out there in "app land" myself. Until I did a complete inventory, I thought I could easily switch. How is it that WP has been out for about 18 months and no apps like I mentioned? Even worse if you factor in 7.5 was released 3.5 years ago. I'm not sure of the answer and what MSFT will have to do to get buy-in from companies like AMEX, Marriott, etc; but they'd better do so and do so quickly or even the nice stuff in 8.1 won't take hold.

I'm a pretty average user, perhaps below average in number of apps on my phone, and if 40-50% of the apps I depend on are not there, then I don't see a lot of people switching when they do an inventory like I did. I hope in the next few months this will change; but, being that WP is < 5% of market share, what motivation do companies like I mentioned have to develop an app? Unfortunately, Apple has take a LOT of the enterprise phone from Blackberry, the one shot that MSFT may have had is slowly moving away. Don't confuse this as being anti-WP, quite the contrary, I would like to switch, but right now the ecosystem STILL isn't developed enough (same issue I had when I last looked at moving over in Dec 2012).

ps..I'd be very happy if I'm wrong...Competition is good for all.
    This. The apps I use the most aren`t first party apps on WP or are not there at all. I use Pocket, Feedly, and Google Keep daily and I couldn`t change my entire workflow just for a phone. The phone is supposed to boost your productivity, not you do workarounds, and wait for apps to come. I hate to say it but, I use Google services extensively (I`m writing a paper for my college algebra class in Google Docs right now) and WP downright sucks for Google Services.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    04-13-2014 10:54 AM
    This. The apps I use the most aren`t first party apps on WP or are not there at all. I use Pocket, Feedly, and Google Keep daily and I couldn`t change my entire workflow just for a phone. The phone is supposed to boost your productivity, not you do workarounds, and wait for apps to come. I hate to say it but, I use Google services extensively (I`m writing a paper for my college algebra class in Google Docs right now) and WP downright sucks for Google Services.

Google services on WP 8 really sucks but if that's the case, you can turn into other counterparts of the apps you have mentioned. For instance, I swtiched to One Note from Google Keep the time I got my 1520. And I found out that One Note is more efficient than Google Keep, although it lacked widgets and variety in color.

I didn't have any problem with the native calendar app because it can be synced with my Google calendar and even with FB events. I read feeds on my tablet (Nexus 7) so I haven't tried any feed app yet. But I've read on WPCentral that there's a good counterpart for Feedly.

04-13-2014 07:56 PM
    Google services on WP 8 really sucks but if that's the case, you can turn into other counterparts of the apps you have mentioned. For instance, I swtiched to One Note from Google Keep the time I got my 1520. And I found out that One Note is more efficient than Google Keep, although it lacked widgets and variety in color.

I didn't have any problem with the native calendar app because it can be synced with my Google calendar and even with FB events. I read feeds on my tablet (Nexus 7) so I haven't tried any feed app yet. But I've read on WPCentral that there's a good counterpart for Feedly.

I know about Microsoft's offerings, but they don't play well for speed. I take photos of handwritten notes, type up notes in class, make a to do list, add random stuff I need to remember and I do mks to this on my phone and edit and view stuff on my desktop. For simple day to day use Google Keep is way faster and simpler. There are third party alternatives for some of the apps I use, but I prefer first party apps.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-13-2014 10:53 PM
    I know about Microsoft's offerings, but they don't play well for speed. I take photos of handwritten notes, type up notes in class, make a to do list, add random stuff I need to remember and I do mks to this on my phone and edit and view stuff on my desktop. For simple day to day use Google Keep is way faster and simpler. There are third party alternatives for some of the apps I use, but I prefer first party apps.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Try Office Lens. It syncs with OneNote and it does a really great job of capturing whiteboard and paper notes.
    04-14-2014 03:28 AM
87 ... 234