Those who are freshly fallen off the android wagon

TozyJay

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
(New guy here)

I'm also migrating over to Windows Phone from Android. I'm a .NET developer by trade so I plan to take a stab at native Windows Phone development (none of this web app nonsense). I still have a couple Android devices but I plan to stick with WP8 for my everyday phone. With the gradual integration of the various Windows platforms, I see a ton of potential for app development.

I'm a power user on Android (roots, ROMs, the whole bit) but I'm a huge fan of simple elegance of the WP8 platform. Having to hack, slash, and flash to get a decent user experience on Android was getting old!

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I feel like we are a church and there are people everyday coming here ready or curious about converting.

Welcome to the dark side. If you and your friends are planning on getting WP yall will love the group/room functions. You can share just about anything. Notes, Text Docs, PPTS, Grocery List, Things to do, pictures custom name for room, example my wife and I's room is called Decepticons.

Also if you are a pandora user when you get WP dont use Pandora. Go for metro radio. It uses pandora's API and you have unlimited skips without commercials.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what people are talking about when they mentions learning curve. WP is right up there with iOS as far as a simple OS to use.
Maybe it's an "unlearning curve" as folks who've learned to do things like turn WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS off when not in use to extend battery life learn to do nothing because Windows Phone manages it better (and offers fewer opportunities for poorly designed apps to waste power in the background).

I jest above, but only somewhat. When I moved to WP from Windows Mobile, I had to learn to let go of the degree of customizability I had. At first, I saw WP was really limiting; later, I decided that it was liberating. I no longer spent time backing up my data, finding a good ROM, flashing it, and restoring things. Treating my phone like my TV instead of like my computer has been a good thing overall.

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I switched from an S3 yesterday and I am pretty happy so far. I am having issues with xbox and my gamertag (have to wait 30 days to transfer due to stupid policy) but other than that it's great. Still finding more apps to use and playing with the phone. Guess i'm still in the honeymoon phase

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm not switching to icon, but instead wait for new 8.1 devices.. Atm on Android and growing so tired of flashing different roms n kernels to make da phone work. Not to mention taking backups if /when the rom crashes forcing you to restore previous backup.. Waiting eagerly to switch :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm not switching to icon, but instead wait for new 8.1 devices.. Atm on Android and growing so tired of flashing different roms n kernels to make da phone work. Not to mention taking backups if /when the rom crashes forcing you to restore previous backup.. Waiting eagerly to switch :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I take it you are not on Verizon then?

Or, you simply don't mind waiting for 6 months.

You do realize the Icon will get the 8.1 update.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I live WP now. My most recent jump into the world of Android was with the Note 3. It only took me about a month to realize not much had changed. I seriously spent two weeks trying things on the phone in the end I would up with the same setup I used on my EVO Shift. My big holdup was the big screen. I just had to have a big screen device. I wont go back to Android again at this point. I sold the Note 3 and GG watch to buy me a Lumina 1520 on launch day. I am very happy with WP 8 as is. The gimmicky options on the Note 3 killed the battery and performance. Why have a high end phone if you can't use the cool stuff. With a WP what you get works and works well. I would bet you wont regret the move. Here is the good thing you have a couple of weeks to decide so give it a try. All you have to loose is the restocking fee.

bono30

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I just made the switch from Android to WP. So far I am happy. No regrets. Not having an issue with finding apps. The phone is easy to setup. Biggest thing is that the icon is the best build quality I have had in a phone for years. I am still learning everything windows. Looking for a good lock screen app right now. But thats about it right now.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Wondering if those former android users will miss all the customizations android has available. I liked to change launchers and UI's frequently which made it seem like a fresh new device . Changing tile sizes/positions or colors is about all you can do with your home screen on WP. Does anyone think they might miss all the customizations?

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
After being on Android since the original Motorola Droid in 2009, I was expecting a much greater learning curve than I have actually experienced. Never a power user, but certainly engrained in the OS, I just assumed the Android way was the best way. I am finding so many things about WP that just make sense to me. The native apps, just like the OS, seem to be designed around the premise of providing the user with enough snippets of information to only require a quick glance (I know, a dirty word in this forum��) to find what they need without having to wait to open the entire app.

For the most part the design flows well, and the included Nokia and Bing apps surprised me. I wasn't expecting much from them.

I haven't had too much difficulty emulating functionality of my other phones, and in many cases find the WP way more intuitive so that I don't even need or want some of the functionality I had on Android. Because of this, I don't find the perceived lack of apps to be an issue for me.

Of course this is just one persons option, and no OS can be all things to all people, but I have been quite pleased with WP so far, and look forward to all that it offers.

MikeMcKen

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I am fresh off the android wagon with a new Icon. So far I've not found anything about the device or the OS that makes me think I made a mistake switching to WP. OS responds quickly and the device is a pleasure to use.

bono30

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Wondering if those former android users will miss all the customizations android has available. I liked to change launchers and UI's frequently which made it seem like a fresh new device . Changing tile sizes/positions or colors is about all you can do with your home screen on WP. Does anyone think they might miss all the customizations?

I have been on Android since VZW released the original Droid. Funny thing is that all my phones since, I always had the home screen set up the same way. So I am enjoying a completely different OS.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Yea, I went to Verizon today with every intention of buying off contract if I liked what I saw. After fiddling with the phone for half an hour, I realized that I'm just an Android guy. I enjoy the customization and bigger screen of the Note 3 too much to leave. I hadn't realized I had become that used to the large screen until I picked up the Lumia. It was an ok feeling phone, but flashbacks of the 920 crept in when I turned it on. Will wait to see what 8.1 brings...haven't written wp off just yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site

I do.

I haven't yet moved over to daily driver starts, but I use WP8 everyday. I absolutely miss the control I would have on Android.

I feel the same when I'm using iOS.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that almost goes unnoticed is the lack of the "bugginess" or gltches I experienced with all of my Android devices. I told my brother today, with Android, the longer I owned a device the laggier and buggier it became. With my WP devices, they seem to actually improve over time. Seems the OS is far more efficient with resources.

Last edited:

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm off the wagon for at least 2 weeks anyway, or longer if it grows on me. Time will tell. Nice so far, but I have a lot to do with setting it up to get it to my comfort zone.
Funny but when I went to the Verizon corp store(only one in town) all they had were 4 white ones. I wanted black. As I was pondering my next move the delivery guy arrives and drops off a shipment of various phones and accessories including 4 more black icons. So walked out with one.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I can honestly say that this is the greatest smartphone I've ever used. It's my first WP (coming from a long line of Android phones) and I don't miss Android at all. Eveytime I see new people talking about having to adjust to it I'm like "huh"? I took to it without a hiccup.....and I'm old (approaching 50).

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes , I had been on that android wagon for a few years and must say it is damn fine to be off. Furthermore the icon was very much worth the wait. Awesome device. Just sold my "ONE" and I'm learning rather quickly the cool things about WP. No regrets falling off that turnip truck, errr..wagon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)