Those who are freshly fallen off the android wagon

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just made the switch from Android to WP. So far I am happy. No regrets. Not having an issue with finding apps. The phone is easy to setup. Biggest thing is that the icon is the best build quality I have had in a phone for years. I am still learning everything windows. Looking for a good lock screen app right now. But thats about it right now.

Try Lockmix - totally customization for your lock screen - I highly recommend it.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Would not even consider Android as a business tool. Just Google Android security risks.

Secret life of phones: how yours contacts 315 servers a day - Channel 4 News

If you don't believe that every app that has ads in it, regardless of platform, is doing this then you're extremely na?ve.

An open platform is going to carry bigger risks for gullible users. 90% of malware on Android requires active user interaction to do it's job. You first have to download the app and then grant it permission to do whatever it is it want's to do. And in a business environment administrators are able to lock devices down just as they do with computers. Just like on Windows (which is not at all open but still subject to a plethora or malware), if you're careless you're going to get bit. Does that mean Windows sucks for business as well? Not necessarily. Just sayin'.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If you don't believe that every app that has ads in it, regardless of platform, is doing this then you're extremely na?ve.

You are throwing all apps of all types including the platforms they run on into a single basket. That is unwise.

I've done this experiment myself, by logging the network traffic going from my devices through my network gateway. There are huge differences. Android is even pretty chatty when nothing is installed. In contrast to Android, the apps on WP are pretty much silent when the device is not in use.

Where I agree is that the apps themselves are more important than the platform. If you use Facebook, your data will be harvested, no matter what platform you use. That is simply a result of Facebook's business model. That will be true of any app if it is based on the same business model.

Apps with adds are impossible to categorize without taking a closer look. The amount of sniffing going on depends on the add network being used AND the platform (some things are a lot harder or impossible to do on WP and iOS).

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
An open platform is going to carry bigger risks for gullible users. 90% of malware on Android requires active user interaction to do it's job. You first have to download the app and then grant it permission to do whatever it is it want's to do.

I bet 99% or more of users don't think twice when they grant an app permission to do things. That doesn't make them gullible. They wouldn't be downloading and using the app if they didn't allow it functionality.

Businesses almost exclusively use BlackBerry because it's a mature, secure platform.

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I bet 99% or more of users don't think twice when they grant an app permission to do things. That doesn't make them gullible. They wouldn't be downloading and using the app if they didn't allow it functionality.

That's most likely true than not. I know I just just the "continue" button on app permissions.

Unless it's changed in WP8, but I as far as I recall from WP7 that the SDK didn't allow a developer to be able to mess with any core OS functionality. There were wrappers around things such as contacts and such, but there wasn't complete control.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
So this weekend I started to question why I'm sticking with my Nexus 5. The camera mostly. Boy did it suck on night shots. I own a Lumia 928 and used it one night. Flash and pictures were clear. The next night on Nexus 5, camera did poor. I'm kinda upset that some of those pics were taken on poor camera.

I really should take the plunge. Got the SIM, the Internet Sharing enabled (http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mms-now-working-t-920-w-usa-t-mobile-sim.html). The Lumia gave me better night shots.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Businesses almost exclusively use BlackBerry because it's a mature, secure platform.

Most businesses shifted to BYOD policy in last couple years. Blackberry only remains prevalent in financial businesses and government.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Most businesses shifted to BYOD policy in last couple years. Blackberry only remains prevalent in financial businesses and government.

I would argue that any people don't like using BYOD because the business has a say over your personal information on the device as well.

Unless you have a link with some statistics, I can't be sure..

Last edited by a moderator:

Aredubu

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Nokia 2520 a few weeks ago and really like it. Other than my laptops running W 8.1, I haven't had any windows devices since my last Windows Pocket PC about 10 years ago. I really want to jump ship, but there is one App that I really need..an app for my OBDII blue tooth device I use to tune my cars and diagnose trouble codes. The one I currently use is called Torque Pro. Any suggestions? If I can find something compatible I would gladly jump ship to the Icon. I might just have to do it anyway and buy a cheap android device just for that purpose.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I would argue that any people don't like using BYOD because the business has a say over your personal information on the device as well.

Unless you have a link with some statistics, I can't be sure..

Speaking of stats, do you have a link to back up yours? Blackberry presence in enterprise and government is rapidly eroding (how could it not be when it's sitting at only 1.7%?). BYOD is in fact starting to become the norm in business and and as unbelievable as it sounds, Apple is gaining the most ground in enterprise atm.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Same could be said of Windows. Does that mean it's terribly unsecure and sucks? Not necessarily, yet users of other platforms are quick to throw that accusation at Android for the same reason.

Aredubu

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Just took the plunge and bought a black Icon. Time to put Android behind me. It should be here on Friday. Looking forward to the change. My Lumia 2520 has been a nice device, and will have a little brother soon! I'll wait a few weeks before selling my LG G2...just in case, but I played with the Icon at the Verizon store and really liked it.

Sent from my P6095 using Tapatalk

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Just took the plunge and bought a black Icon. I'll wait a few weeks before selling my LG G2...just in case,

Sent from my P6095 using Tapatalk
Welcome, I think you'll really like the icon. Coming from android myself I picked up the icon on February 22nd., and thinking id hold onto my HTC ONE for awhile just in case the new relationship was lacking somehow. Well after one full day I said "F" the one. No point in keeping it as I'll never use it again, and I listed it and sold it in two days and shipped it out. Very pleased with this new OS and my icon. Enjoy yours! And 8.1 when it comes.

Aredubu

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Welcome, I think you'll really like the icon. Coming from android myself I picked up the icon on February 22nd., and thinking id hold onto my HTC ONE for awhile just in case the new relationship was lacking somehow. Well after one full day I said "F" the one. No point in keeping it as I'll never use it again, and I listed it and sold it in two days and shipped it out. Very pleased with this new OS and my icon. Enjoy yours! And 8.1 when it comes.

I am really liking my new Icon. I didn't really think I would as my G2 was a damn good phone. I think the 2 phones have similar specs, but the I am really liking the windows OS better. Live tiles is exactly what I wanted, but could never get on my android devices. I have been assimilated.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Used to live in the android specs war with my rooted galaxy s 2. Then wondered which WP to get. First I was intrigued by high spec WP. Then I read some reviews and user experiences and realized high end specs in WP only makes the phone cost more. The phone flies even with single core.
So in the end I chose the one which gives most features for the money, not most high specs.
Tho I guess there are people who chooses their phones spec wise. Nothing wrong in it, if it can convert someone to this awesome OS;)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on the wagon and debating on trying the icon as my first windows phone. Ive been researching apps and seeing what's compatible and which ones are not.
I and perhaps many others are thinking of switching to WP. Would love to hear how the switch is going for ya so far.

I switched from Android (Samsung Note II) to a 928 back in August. Initially, it was a little hard at first, mainly because there were several apps that I used that didn't come on WP8. In she even months that has passed since coming over to the Darkside, all of the apps that mattered to me were available except for one. As of right now, Eye-Fi isn't planning on supporting WP8. I had to "settle" for third party apps for Starbucks and Pebble, but they work really well so, no complaints there. I love the sync with OneDrive. I was an early adopter, so I got 25GB free and I use OneNote almost daily. One issue I wish they would fix is that I can only attach pictures and video in emails. If I want to send an Office document, I have to share it by sending a link; clunky and I can't send documents in a reply.

I switched from Android for two reasons. First, Android is just to fractured. Each phone maker has its own skin and because of this, everything seems haphazard. Sure I can customize and have widgets and multiple screens, but WP allows be to use the live tiles which I find easier to work with. Secondly, was I am running Windows 8 on my desktop and (at the time) my laptop. Since I was already in the Microsoft ecosystem, making the jump to WP was easier. Microsoft's ecosystem is continuing to evolve an jumping to WP seemed like a good idea.

Whenever I pick up my wife's GS3, I feel like I'm using a old clunky phone. Learning WP8 was not that hard. Had Microsoft came out with a decent WP back in 2007/8, I think Android would be in a distant third an not WP.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
As much as I want to switch, there is still a pretty big "App Gap" for my purposes; and, believe me, I want to change. I have toyed with the 521 I bought and love the speed and simplicity; but I cannot make it my main phone now. Here is a list of "my personal app gap"
American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Budget Rental Car (though Avis is present, same company), Autoweek, Yahoo Mail! (don't laugh), Autotrader, A few banks (Southeast USA) and finally SiriusXM.

Of these, only Autoweek and Autotrader are probably "fluff." The other apps are almost needed if one travels a lot. Now, perhaps there is a third party App that does these; but I didn't find them. If I throw my Tablet apps in, then this list gets quite a bit bigger.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
As much as I want to switch, there is still a pretty big "App Gap" for my purposes; and, believe me, I want to change. I have toyed with the 521 I bought and love the speed and simplicity; but I cannot make it my main phone now. Here is a list of "my personal app gap"
American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Budget Rental Car (though Avis is present, same company), Autoweek, Yahoo Mail! (don't laugh), Autotrader, A few banks (Southeast USA) and finally SiriusXM.

Of these, only Autoweek and Autotrader are probably "fluff." The other apps are almost needed if one travels a lot. Now, perhaps there is a third party App that does these; but I didn't find them. If I throw my Tablet apps in, then this list gets quite a bit bigger.

I also agree with it, and even Android has still the app gap when it comes to premium apps.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
^I mean, Android has an app gap with iOS when it comes to premium apps.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb