Those who are freshly fallen off the android wagon

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
No doubt almost every app comes for iOS first. But I really think the ones I mentioned are pretty "common" apps. SiriusXM used to work; but that seems to be related to SiriusXM themselves. However, they have apps for Android and iOS. The travel stuff is really a big deal. It's going to be hard to transition business people to a platform that doesn't have a lot of this type of app stuff. Sure, I can log into the web page with IE 11, but that's kind of not the point of having apps.

I really don't understand the anti-Microsoft thing from people. MSFT is, IMO, a lot more benign than GOOG. But somehow, people still hate MSFT (though, they are one of the only AAA ratings left in the USA according to S&P).

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No doubt almost every app comes for iOS first. But I really think the ones I mentioned are pretty "common" apps. SiriusXM used to work; but that seems to be related to SiriusXM themselves. However, they have apps for Android and iOS. The travel stuff is really a big deal. It's going to be hard to transition business people to a platform that doesn't have a lot of this type of app stuff. Sure, I can log into the web page with IE 11, but that's kind of not the point of having apps.

I really don't understand the anti-Microsoft thing from people. MSFT is, IMO, a lot more benign than GOOG. But somehow, people still hate MSFT (though, they are one of the only AAA ratings left in the USA according to S&P).

That's one of the bigger issues of WP, which is niche or local apps. O know I would like Dish Network to have an app but they don't.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
There are basically 3 "regional" banks in the coastal Georgia area: Regions, BB&T, and Suntrust; none of which are represented in the App store. We do have a Bank of America and a Wells Fargo which are more national banks and are thus represented. However, the three regional banks are not exactly tiny banks either.

Until WP gets more of what I would consider mainstream apps, I just don't see myself switching as much as I'd like to do so. What would be the point of switching? I'm really surprised that there are so many comments that say "I haven't had any problems with apps." That's nice and I'm happy it works for those people; but really, I didn't think I was so far out there in "app land" myself. Until I did a complete inventory, I thought I could easily switch. How is it that WP has been out for about 18 months and no apps like I mentioned? Even worse if you factor in 7.5 was released 3.5 years ago. I'm not sure of the answer and what MSFT will have to do to get buy-in from companies like AMEX, Marriott, etc; but they'd better do so and do so quickly or even the nice stuff in 8.1 won't take hold.

I'm a pretty average user, perhaps below average in number of apps on my phone, and if 40-50% of the apps I depend on are not there, then I don't see a lot of people switching when they do an inventory like I did. I hope in the next few months this will change; but, being that WP is < 5% of market share, what motivation do companies like I mentioned have to develop an app? Unfortunately, Apple has take a LOT of the enterprise phone from Blackberry, the one shot that MSFT may have had is slowly moving away. Don't confuse this as being anti-WP, quite the contrary, I would like to switch, but right now the ecosystem STILL isn't developed enough (same issue I had when I last looked at moving over in Dec 2012).

ps..I'd be very happy if I'm wrong...Competition is good for all.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There are basically 3 "regional" banks in the coastal Georgia area: Regions, BB&T, and Suntrust; none of which are represented in the App store. We do have a Bank of America and a Wells Fargo which are more national banks and are thus represented. However, the three regional banks are not exactly tiny banks either.

Until WP gets more of what I would consider mainstream apps, I just don't see myself switching as much as I'd like to do so. What would be the point of switching? I'm really surprised that there are so many comments that say "I haven't had any problems with apps." That's nice and I'm happy it works for those people; but really, I didn't think I was so far out there in "app land" myself. Until I did a complete inventory, I thought I could easily switch. How is it that WP has been out for about 18 months and no apps like I mentioned? Even worse if you factor in 7.5 was released 3.5 years ago. I'm not sure of the answer and what MSFT will have to do to get buy-in from companies like AMEX, Marriott, etc; but they'd better do so and do so quickly or even the nice stuff in 8.1 won't take hold.

I'm a pretty average user, perhaps below average in number of apps on my phone, and if 40-50% of the apps I depend on are not there, then I don't see a lot of people switching when they do an inventory like I did. I hope in the next few months this will change; but, being that WP is < 5% of market share, what motivation do companies like I mentioned have to develop an app? Unfortunately, Apple has take a LOT of the enterprise phone from Blackberry, the one shot that MSFT may have had is slowly moving away. Don't confuse this as being anti-WP, quite the contrary, I would like to switch, but right now the ecosystem STILL isn't developed enough (same issue I had when I last looked at moving over in Dec 2012).

ps..I'd be very happy if I'm wrong...Competition is good for all.

This. The apps I use the most aren`t first party apps on WP or are not there at all. I use Pocket, Feedly, and Google Keep daily and I couldn`t change my entire workflow just for a phone. The phone is supposed to boost your productivity, not you do workarounds, and wait for apps to come. I hate to say it but, I use Google services extensively (I`m writing a paper for my college algebra class in Google Docs right now) and WP downright sucks for Google Services.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This. The apps I use the most aren`t first party apps on WP or are not there at all. I use Pocket, Feedly, and Google Keep daily and I couldn`t change my entire workflow just for a phone. The phone is supposed to boost your productivity, not you do workarounds, and wait for apps to come. I hate to say it but, I use Google services extensively (I`m writing a paper for my college algebra class in Google Docs right now) and WP downright sucks for Google Services.

Google services on WP 8 really sucks but if that's the case, you can turn into other counterparts of the apps you have mentioned. For instance, I swtiched to One Note from Google Keep the time I got my 1520. And I found out that One Note is more efficient than Google Keep, although it lacked widgets and variety in color.

I didn't have any problem with the native calendar app because it can be synced with my Google calendar and even with FB events. I read feeds on my tablet (Nexus 7) so I haven't tried any feed app yet. But I've read on WPCentral that there's a good counterpart for Feedly.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Google services on WP 8 really sucks but if that's the case, you can turn into other counterparts of the apps you have mentioned. For instance, I swtiched to One Note from Google Keep the time I got my 1520. And I found out that One Note is more efficient than Google Keep, although it lacked widgets and variety in color.

I didn't have any problem with the native calendar app because it can be synced with my Google calendar and even with FB events. I read feeds on my tablet (Nexus 7) so I haven't tried any feed app yet. But I've read on WPCentral that there's a good counterpart for Feedly.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

I know about Microsoft's offerings, but they don't play well for speed. I take photos of handwritten notes, type up notes in class, make a to do list, add random stuff I need to remember and I do mks to this on my phone and edit and view stuff on my desktop. For simple day to day use Google Keep is way faster and simpler. There are third party alternatives for some of the apps I use, but I prefer first party apps.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I know about Microsoft's offerings, but they don't play well for speed. I take photos of handwritten notes, type up notes in class, make a to do list, add random stuff I need to remember and I do mks to this on my phone and edit and view stuff on my desktop. For simple day to day use Google Keep is way faster and simpler. There are third party alternatives for some of the apps I use, but I prefer first party apps.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Try Office Lens. It syncs with OneNote and it does a really great job of capturing whiteboard and paper notes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99