Cases for the Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Could you get pic with how thick the phone is with that case? With the defender series that is what I am concerned the most with as I've had a defender in the past for another phone and it turned the phone from a slim piece of beauty into a brick.

Here is side picture next to a penny. Sorry again for the picture quality, using a co-worker's S3:

SideView.jpg

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Ghost Armor to come out. I got an email form them that it should be available within the next couple of weeks.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I might order both the Incipio Dual Pro and the Otterbox Defender and see which one I like better and send the other back. I called Otterbox about the Commuter and they couldn't confirm it was coming. I figure maybe the more calls they get on it the more likely they are to make it.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Can you give it a review, Kage?

Of course!

Please everyone keep in mind that this is for the Defender series case. Also this is my first experience with an otterbox case so there may be some inaccuracies with what I type.

Ease of Use: 5

I understand otterboxes are supposed to be some of the best cases to protect your phone, but this case was truly a pain for me to take off my phone once I got it on. I don't know if the Icon case is designed slightly differently than other Defender cases, but everything I've read or seen indicates there should be tabs to unclick when dismantling the inner layer of the case. Well that's nowhere to be found on this version. Instead you have 7 openings for the two halves of the case to snap together. My fingernails aren't long enough, nor are my fingers small enough, to dig into these openings to pry the clips apart, so I needed to use a small flathead screwdriver to unclip the two halves. I’ve had a few cases with the last two smartphones I’ve owned, plus helped a number of people picking out cases for their own phones, and good protection should not require this level of hassle IMO. Otherwise it is easy to put together on the phone, just hope you don’t need to take it off anytime soon.

Level of Protection: 8

It’s an otterbox and it does the job well. I haven’t dropped my phone yet, and don’t plan to, but you can tell that the phone is securely placed in the case. No rattling or anything can be heard when shaking the phone.

The included screen protector is nice and clear, doing the job well enough. One problem is it didn’t take long before a piece of dust crept underneath the screen, mocking me whenever I notice it, and I really notice it. Maybe I’m too used to the skinomi screen protectors I’ve used in the past, where after it’s properly applied, it doesn’t look like a protector is on the phone. It just really bothers me how easy it is for small particles to get trapped underneath the screen, though this may not be an issue for some. As a side note, the screen also appears to be a fingerprint/smudge magnet, not a big deal but not great either.

Feel: 8

The phone actually feels better to me with the case on since it’s easier to grip and hold. The bulk is minimal considering the layers of protection. It’s still easy for me to type, tap, swipe, take pictures, and everything else I’d typically do on the phone. The screen protector also feels great against your finger. It doesn’t have much of that rubbery feel some screen protectors have. I mentioned this before, but I don’t like how hard it is to press the buttons with the case now. Hopefully this is due to the case being new and not broken in, but this is the first case I’ve had that makes it harder to press the buttons down.

Overall: 7

I have to say I’m kind of disappointed in the end. I know plenty of people who have an otterbox case and I was curious with all the praise I’ve read and heard. My issues seem to be common problems with otterbox cases, so the hassles may not be a big deal for other people. You can tell it offers quality protection, but not to the level of the asking price IMO. If you’re a fan of otterbox cases, you should be happy with this case. I think for my next phone, or if I just get sick of this case, I’m going to go with a cheaper case and a skinomi screen protector.

If there’s anything I missed or you guys would like to know anything more, please let me know.

Edit:

Thanks again for the pics. Do you have any issues with the Defender's built in screen protector and the curved glass on the sides of the Icon?

Other than the dust underneath the screen, I haven't had any issues with the screen protector.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My initial plan was to get a case that would protect my phone really well during activity that I knew was threatening. Then pop it out for the rest of the time, because I really love the design of this phone, and I'm all about showing it off and looking at it myself.

I wanted the otterbox to be that case. But if it's that hard to put on, and the screen protector allows dust/dirt in, I'm not really as interested in it anymore. I may as well just go bare.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
My initial plan was to get a case that would protect my phone really well during activity that I knew was threatening. Then pop it out for the rest of the time, because I really love the design of this phone, and I'm all about showing it off and looking at it myself.

I wanted the otterbox to be that case. But if it's that hard to put on, and the screen protector allows dust/dirt in, I'm not really as interested in it anymore. I may as well just go bare.

I would suggest a skimoni screen protector and either the incipio dual case or the one linked below:

Amazon.com: For Nokia Lumia 929 Cover Case (T-Stand Hybrid Black / Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I've had good experiences with both, easy to put on and take off while offering enough protection.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This looks good and appears it doesn't add much bulk.

Surprisingly it doesn't add too much. More than the case I had on my 928 though so I'm trying to get used to it. But as mentioned above this phone is such a beast to me I keep taking the case off. lol So it may just get used for travel and taken off at work and home.

NoogMan9605

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
When you get it in could you snap some pics with it on the phone. The only pictures I have seen online are mainly just a back shot. Trying to narrow down between Otterbox Defender, Incipio Dual Pro and Trident Cyclops.

I've got BOTH the dualpro from incipio and the Otterbox Defender on my wife's ICON. The otterbox is too much for me.......it's HELL to get off, so make sure you're ready to leave on for life once you've got it snapped on.

The Dualpro rocks for me, and the Featherlight Incipio I had on my 928 wasn't enough. The Dualpro is right in the middle without the bulk of the otterbox defender. The otterbox looks like it could take a hit from a 2 story drop....lol!

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I received the Dual Pro and its going back amazon. When I use the camera button the case causes that button to stay pushed and takes several pics in a row.

ObviouslyLost

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ease of Use: 5

I understand otterboxes are supposed to be some of the best cases to protect your phone, but this case was truly a pain for me to take off my phone once I got it on. I don't know if the Icon case is designed slightly differently than other Defender cases, but everything I've read or seen indicates there should be tabs to unclick when dismantling the inner layer of the case. Well that's nowhere to be found on this version. Instead you have 7 openings for the two halves of the case to snap together. My fingernails aren't long enough, nor are my fingers small enough, to dig into these openings to pry the clips apart, so I needed to use a small flathead screwdriver to unclip the two halves. I’ve had a few cases with the last two smartphones I’ve owned, plus helped a number of people picking out cases for their own phones, and good protection should not require this level of hassle IMO. Otherwise it is easy to put together on the phone, just hope you don’t need to take it off anytime soon.

To make it a little easier to remove, you can try pulling the two halves apart enough to get a card (I used an autozone rewards card) between the two halves. Run that card edge around the phone and the edges should pop apart when you get near the clips. This helped me tremendously in removing it.

Also, do you have any issue with the protector not staying down on the screen? I had a Trident which is similar to the OB and it didnt lay down smoothly on the screen. I do have a screen protector on the phone as well. Is this how yours is set up?

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I've got BOTH the dualpro from incipio and the Otterbox Defender on my wife's ICON. The otterbox is too much for me.......it's HELL to get off, so make sure you're ready to leave on for life once you've got it snapped on.

The Dualpro rocks for me, and the Featherlight Incipio I had on my 928 wasn't enough. The Dualpro is right in the middle without the bulk of the otterbox defender. The otterbox looks like it could take a hit from a 2 story drop....lol!

Does your wife have a similar issue with dust creeping under the screen?

To make it a little easier to remove, you can try pulling the two halves apart enough to get a card (I used an autozone rewards card) between the two halves. Run that card edge around the phone and the edges should pop apart when you get near the clips. This helped me tremendously in removing it.

Also, do you have any issue with the protector not staying down on the screen? I had a Trident which is similar to the OB and it didnt lay down smoothly on the screen. I do have a screen protector on the phone as well. Is this how yours is set up?

Thanks for the tip, that sounds like it would be a lot easier than taking a screwdriver to the damn case lol.

I'm sorry but what is the OB? The protector isn't noticeably hovering over the screen, but now that I pay attention, if I press down along the edges, you do notice the screen protector go down very very slightly. Don't notice the same near the center of the screen, so maybe it's the curved glass that's letting in more dust than other models?

Also I don't have a screen protector on my screen along with the defender case. I'm considering getting a skinomi screen protector. Only hesitation I have here is that cover was a real pain to put on my 928 properly since the cover moved very easily when I would use the squeegee to remove the solution.

CommieCOZY

May 31, 2011
Visit site
OB = Otterbox.

After reading that the Trident case has screen flex, I think I'm going with the Pure Gear clear case with a separate screen protector.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
OB = Otterbox.

After reading that the Trident case has screen flex, I think I'm going with the Pure Gear clear case with a separate screen protector.

Wow I can be stupid lol Guess I'm more tired than I thought. Thanks.

Also nice avatar, wish I knew why mine was black no matter what picture I try uploading.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
So I installed the Dual Pro case again making sure that everything lined up correctly. The camera button is working normal now. Heads up for others that if the camera button decides to start taking multiple shots its because the case but not be on correctly. That said I'm still not in love with it. The black silicon is somewhat of a lint magnet.

ObviouslyLost

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Does your wife have a similar issue with dust creeping under the screen?

Thanks for the tip, that sounds like it would be a lot easier than taking a screwdriver to the damn case lol.

I'm sorry but what is the OB? The protector isn't noticeably hovering over the screen, but now that I pay attention, if I press down along the edges, you do notice the screen protector go down very very slightly. Don't notice the same near the center of the screen, so maybe it's the curved glass that's letting in more dust than other models?

Also I don't have a screen protector on my screen along with the defender case. I'm considering getting a skinomi screen protector. Only hesitation I have here is that cover was a real pain to put on my 928 properly since the cover moved very easily when I would use the squeegee to remove the solution.

I'm ok with it along the left and right edges, but my problem was with the top right corner. It comes down in like a V shape. That spot allows sweat/moisture dust up under it. I dont know if it's because of the other screen protector being on it or not though. -_- Thanks for the reply and try the card trick. Worked wonders for me. haha.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I received the Incipio DualPro case today in black. Yuck, I hate this "soft touch" material they are using. It's going back for a refund. I really hope someone comes out with a nice case for the Icon, so far I haven't found anything I like. Obliq makes awesome cases, their Xtream Pro Case is my favorite (no slimy feeling) , but I suspect that the Icon isn't mainstream enough for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers