Battery Life Thread

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
How's the battery looking so far? Any one have guides for battery optimization? I've heard that the first few cycles can be important in setting the battery correctly.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Mine is already doing much much better than my GS3. I'm usually at 50% by my third class and im still at 85% on my icon. For me its just the basics, manage background apps and keep GPS off when your not using it.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So far mine is on par or a little better with my old 928, which means after the battery get broken in or conditioned it should last longer than the 928

chaz2400

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I got my Icon yesterday and charged it all night. Right now, it has been 6 hours since I left charge, I have 91% battery and it estimates 2 days and 5 hours remaining. I have been using it for email, web and showing it to friends all morning. Impressed.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been not so good. Charged last night fully. Been using it for about an hour and a half on WPcentral, I'm at 73% already. Estimating time till power down at 5.5 hours. Discharging at 13.5% per hour.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Who cares! I have 3400 mAh!
wp_ss_20140222_0001.jpg

Seriously, It's looking to be on par (maybe better) with my 928 which quite often lasts a whole day with what I consider moderate usage. The shot below is today's usage so far. That's a few phone calls, a few texts, a WhatsApp conversation, using OneNote while running errands and using IE for a few locals stores mobile websites. Even goofed around with camera and the kids a bit.
wp_ss_20140222_0002.jpg

Battery consumption is so dependent on my use though. If I use Waze on my morning commute I obviously need a charge before I leave work for the day. My guess is that tomorrow, while I'm on WiFi all day around the house and not using the phone as much, I'll still have plenty of battery left at the end of the day.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
My battery life with the Icon has not been good. This is my second full day with the icon and both days by early afternoon I found myself below 25% battery life and having to charge.

when I got the Icon I also bought a Nokia battery stick and its clear I will need to carry it with me to get through the day.

I will say that I had thought from the specs that the battery was somewhat undersized, especially compared with the 1520, but I am on Verizon, so the Icon is my only choice. I went into this phone with my eyes open, but I am surprised just how quickly the battery drains.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Who cares! I have 3400 mAh!

View attachment 57739

Seriously, It's looking to be on par (maybe better) with my 928 which quite often lasts a whole day with what I consider moderate usage. The shot below is today's usage so far. That's a few phone calls, a few texts, a WhatsApp conversation, using OneNote while running errands and using IE for a few locals stores mobile websites. Even goofed around with camera and the kids a bit.

View attachment 57740

Battery consumption is so dependent on my use though. If I use Waze on my morning commute I obviously need a charge before I leave work for the day. My guess is that tomorrow, while I'm on WiFi all day around the house and not using the phone as much, I'll still have plenty of battery left at the end of the day.

what battery app is this

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
what battery app is this

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

It's called "Battery Performance"
It's a great app for the most part. I reported that it's displaying my battery capacity incorrectly. Otherwise, it matches up to what my Icon's battery says in settings.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
After a full day of what "I" would consider "for myself" a moderate/heavy day....

wp_ss_20140223_0001.jpg

....again, more cycles will tell but I'm mostly pleased..

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
ya im interested in the battery life as I have a LG G2 which has great battery benchmarks. So I would love to get something better or roughly the same. Wish they put a bigger battery in.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
25 minutes browsing forums and I got a screen pop - "Battery draining quickly."

4 hours 2 minutes to power off is about 12 hours too short considering I didn't even unplug the phone until about 9:30am. On a regular workday my phone is off charge about 6am. Which would make it dead before 11am. If it could last until suppertime I could be having a conversation about turning off Bluetooth, etc. when I am not using it but I am not even in the ballpark. Your results may vary, but I can't see it ever lasting into a second day unless I just don't use it.

wp_ss_20140223_0001.png

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Took it off the Fatboy this morning at 100%, spent 10 minutes browsing the internet over LTE (wifi disabled), then another 20 on the phone while still browsing the internet, and was at a warm 83% when I was done.

Not sure how much the phone call played into that, but that much browsing on my 928 would have taken me to 97% or 95% at worst.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
On the plus side, I hooked up a QI charging stand and the charger looks fast as well as convenient. The only issue I have is that I can't figure out where the setting is to keep the screen on while charging.

Can anyone help me with that?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This isn't anything new for new batteries guys. You have to give it at least a week for a few charge & drain cycles to condition the battery. This is the case for any battery. Same thing had to be done with my wife's Iphone 5S. Tips on ways to save charge, Set email checking for every 15 or 30 mins if you get lots of email instead of as it comes in. Select which apps you want running in the background, turn all other off. turn off tap+send, turn off bluetooth if you don't use it, if you do pin the control to you start screen to turn it on when you need it. ** this is s big one but for some reason Verizon ships their phones in global mode, change to LTE & CDMA under the Cellular settings**, turn brightness to auto, turn on battery saver brightness in the display settings and of course turn on battery saver. Hope this helps

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
** this is s big one but for some reason Verizon ships their phones in global mode, change to LTE & CDMA under the Cellular settings**, turn brightness to auto, turn on battery saver brightness in the display settings and of course turn on battery saver. Hope this helps

You were right - I checked and the phone was set to global. Hopefully this will ease the battery drain. I also turned off tap+send as I don't know anyone else who uses this. if it ever comes up I can always turn it on to do the transfer. Thanks for the advice.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This isn't anything new for new batteries guys. You have to give it at least a week for a few charge & drain cycles to condition the battery.

From my understanding, it's the phone that needs adapting through charge/discharge cycles, not the battery. The batteries aren't the same to the older tech batteries that needed to be "conditioned" and the perceived benefits are merely that of the software of the device becoming more accurate. Once you run the battery from 100% to near/shut down (5% or so), the software will have a more accurate map of the battery %. I had to do the same thing on my HTC Incredible and my Bold 9930 when new. The battery life didn't get "better" but the software's interpretation of % became far more accurate. Fully charge your battery and run it until near/shut-down and I'm sure you'll find similar results. And since Lithium based batteries don't like to be discharged completely, manufacturers program them to have a 3-5% cushion. I'm a noob though, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

For those interested in the subject.

On Topic:
I picked up my Icon this weekend. With light use, but constant audio streaming (17 hours) on LTE (Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC on) about 40 minutes in calls, 2 dozen emails and texts, a 30 minute show on Netflix, playing with new apps and setting I managed to eek out 23 hours before hitting 10%. I can't say I'm disappointed.

~Ex

minimejer05

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
What's the difference between Global and the LTE & CDMA setting?

The first few days I've noticed the battery draining much faster than my 928. Hopefully it's just "conditioning" as most of you said it does over the course of the first week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion