08-10-2014 07:52 PM
29 12
tools
    My Lumia Icon has been getting hot in the bottom right corner, has anyone else had issues with this? Usually Lumia devices get hot near the camera, which is not very obtrusive since one does not primarily hold the device there. I only use the device for 5 minutes and it starts to warm up
    02-21-2014 12:40 PM
    Mmm... I don't think that's normal. It all depends on what you were doing on the phone for those 5 minutes. My 820 gets very hot very quickly when playing games. If the phone gets hot under normal usage in that short space of time then I'm guessing there's a problem somewhere.
    02-21-2014 01:27 PM
    I agree...what are you doing? It goes from cold to hot and you are just looking at the screen for 5 minutes? Or are you playing a game?

I was looking for tear down pictures to see what would be in that lower corner but the pics are hard for me to get an idea of what is where... I'd just assume they moved the placement of the processor to make room for the PureView system. The only reason the 920 gets hot at the top is that is where the central processor is.
    02-21-2014 01:37 PM
    It could be having trouble syncing an account? Did you recently change a password? I've had that happen. Preform a hard reset. Press and hold volume down and power button until the phone vibrates and restarts. It clear the cache. You will not lose anything
    02-21-2014 01:39 PM
    I agree...what are you doing? It goes from cold to hot and you are just looking at the screen for 5 minutes? Or are you playing a game?

I was looking for tear down pictures to see what would be in that lower corner but the pics are hard for me to get an idea of what is where... I'd just assume they moved the placement of the processor to make room for the PureView system. The only reason the 920 gets hot at the top is that is where the central processor is.
    Could the central processor be located in the bottom now?
    02-21-2014 02:28 PM
    it's very bothersome that the phone gets hot in the bottom right, considering that is where most people hold the phone. Does everyone's Icon get hot? could it just be the black model? all I have to do to get it hot is go on twitter or the browser after 1 minute
    02-25-2014 03:13 AM
    It could be having trouble syncing an account? Did you recently change a password? I've had that happen. Preform a hard reset. Press and hold volume down and power button until the phone vibrates and restarts. It clear the cache. You will not lose anything
    Off topic but that is a soft reset. Hard reset looses data.
    02-25-2014 03:31 AM
    it's very bothersome that the phone gets hot in the bottom right, considering that is where most people hold the phone. Does everyone's Icon get hot? could it just be the black model? all I have to do to get it hot is go on twitter or the browser after 1 minute
    And this is a downfall to getting a phone so early. No one to actually bounce ideas off of, haha
    02-25-2014 01:14 PM
    That sounds odd. Mine is not like that. How's your battery life? I watched a 30 minute video on youtube last night in HD and it wasn't hot at the end.
    02-25-2014 01:16 PM
    My phone gets hot only when I'm charging it and play games, it REALLY gets hot when I'm play VBA8 emulator, but I think it's because of the app
    02-25-2014 04:38 PM
    My phone gets hot only when I'm charging it and play games, it REALLY gets hot when I'm play VBA8 emulator, but I think it's because of the app
    Side effect of the processor working its **** off, and electricity going to and leaving the battery is heat, so yea.

Heat focused in a specific part like that is odd... without a teardown, it's hard to say where the battery is (or how the cells are arranged) since that's usually where the radiated heat we feel comes from. I did notice that the metal band gets warm, so it might be the combination of heat from the phone + heat from your hand making it feel hotter than the rest of the phone.

I'd wander back to the store, and play with the display model doing similar tasks. Easy way to see if your phone is broken.
    02-25-2014 05:54 PM
    Heat focused in a specific part like that is odd... without a teardown, it's hard to say where the battery is (or how the cells are arranged) since that's usually where the radiated heat we feel comes from. I did notice that the metal band gets warm, so it might be the combination of heat from the phone + heat from your hand making it feel hotter than the rest of the phone.
    There are teardowns, it is just hard to tell what is what from static pics. But the battery is not down there...the battery is right in the heart of the phone.

Whatever is causing the heat would be the thing in the lower center of picture 3.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...-teardown.html
    02-26-2014 09:19 AM
    There are teardowns, it is just hard to tell what is what from static pics. But the battery is not down there...the battery is right in the heart of the phone.

Whatever is causing the heat would be the thing in the lower center of picture 3.

Thanks, hard to tell since there's no frame of reference to the pics. I figured the battery would be in the middle somewhere, par for the course.
    02-26-2014 09:44 AM
    my Icon gets extremely hot when I'm on Instagram & Vine, all versions, the official ones and 6sec & 6tag. So hot that I might return this thing. I don't want this phone to explode in my hand or something. I never had a phone get this hot before
    03-01-2014 06:23 PM
    While that is a good idea, what you described is referred to as a "Soft" Reset. A "Hard" Reset will delete all apps / data from the device and return the device to factory settings (if you need a Hard Reset and can't use the one in the Settings menu, here is the buttons only approach: hold the volume down, power button and camera button until the phone vibrates, then release the power button and keep the volume down and camera button down for another 5 seconds)
    06-22-2014 09:54 PM
    All emulators put a large strain on chips, especially chips without fans. Unfortunately.
    06-22-2014 10:17 PM

Could there be a radio down there? We always assume the radios are at the top. It's the antenna that has to have line of sight, not the radio itself. If it is a radio, then it could be faulty and over heating.
    06-22-2014 10:18 PM
    You will lose some data but if you have the backup setting set to backup apps they will all come back and your "start screen" will come back exactly as it was.
    06-22-2014 10:19 PM
    Could it be the memory? 32GB of solid state memory doesn't take up a whole lot of space. But it could be heating up due to data transfers.

TechyMexican, are you noticing any slow down in performance?
    06-22-2014 10:34 PM
    My icon gets hot as well. Disabling some of the background task seems to help. Only gets hot now when playing games.
    07-21-2014 09:55 PM
    Mine gets hot, almost uncomfortable to hold after about 5-10 min of use. For example reviewing posts on Twitter or Facebook, or even Weave. Even was using GPS the other day (Nokia Drive), and the phone was REALLY hot. When I was on the road for a long mileage (20 miles or more), I would shut off the phone.

It's not just games, as games makes it get hot quicker but, no question a problem. I never noticed this before the DP, maybe we just gota wait out Cyan for the firmware to optimize CPU usage so it wont get as hot.... maybe ?

The only downfall here, is when the phone gets really hot, the battery seems to drain quicker....maybe it's me...
    hawwie_4 likes this.
    07-22-2014 10:36 AM
    I had an issue the other day at a resturant. My phone kept trying to connect to their wifi and I noticed my pants were on fire.

Turned of my wifi and it cooled down, but in about 10 min i lost abou5 40% of my battery.
    07-22-2014 01:41 PM
    I had an issue the other day at a resturant. My phone kept trying to connect to their wifi and I noticed my pants were on fire.

Turned of my wifi and it cooled down, but in about 10 min i lost abou5 40% of my battery.
    I think you're lying...
    07-22-2014 03:15 PM
    I think you're lying...
    i dont know what it could have been, or why i would lie.... I turned off wifi sense a few days prior, which would normal accept the terms for me(ive been to this restaurant many times). When i looked at my phone it was trying to connect on the wifi and my phone was extremely hot. turned off wifi and dissipated the heat with my hands. It stayed cool. in the 10-15 min i was at the restaurant my battery went from 80-40%~~.
    07-22-2014 04:20 PM
    i dont know what it could have been, or why i would lie.... I turned off wifi sense a few days prior, which would normal accept the terms for me(ive been to this restaurant many times). When i looked at my phone it was trying to connect on the wifi and my phone was extremely hot. turned off wifi and dissipated the heat with my hands. It stayed cool. in the 10-15 min i was at the restaurant my battery went from 80-40%~~.
    I noticed my pants were on fire.
    I'm sorry... I'll see myself out.
    07-22-2014 04:26 PM
29 12